Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    TheRammer Guest

    Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Thought I'd start a thread and ask you guys what you think about if we would take on a guy like Brandon Marshall in the offseason in FA to be our no.1 WR?

    I personally think with the strives that we will make on the defensive side of the ball and offensive in the offseason that he would be a great viable option for us while finally being able to take off some pressure off SJ39. With the other stable of receivers we have the young talent needed for our no. 2,3 and 4 receivers and punt/kick returners but we lack a clear cut No.1 WR IMO. I have watched many of his games and he plays hard, and to win...

    Only thing I can think of is maybe some of the other things off the field in Denver that might play into this. IMO I think I don't blame him from wanting to be off the team after the HC says he doesn't want you or expendable... That would piss me off to! He had some domestic issues in the past but I don't see this as a huge problem at all and none have resurfaced...

    ON A SIDE NOTE: The TE from Denver got suspended for the last game to like Marshall did...I wouldn't mind having Tony Scheffler on our team next year either.

    As always look foward to your comments and responses
    GO RAMS!!!


  2. #2
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Is he talented: Yes
    Is he a top 10 WR in the NFL: Yes, he's in the top 3
    Will he catch 100 balls a year for you: Yes, without a doubt
    Will he be a NFL All-pro for your team and demand double coverage: Heck Yeah!

    However is he a character guy that will be a leader for your young team (both on and off your field) which is what we need; the answer to this is No. And that is the most important issue here. Look I love the way the guy plays, and I hope that he will be able to control his anger management issues, but at this point in time he will hurt our overall team chemistry and I can only imagine how he would react if we had another challenging season next season (which could happen when you factor in the youth of the team & the injuries that are a part of the NFL).
    I can see him kicking footballs all around Rams park in a heart beat. We could bring him in at year 5 of Sprags regime but not in year two.

  3. #3
    molar_pistol is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    az
    Posts
    938
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    i think he'd be too talented to pass up but it would probably require a trade.

  4. #4
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    However is he a character guy that will be a leader for your young team (both on and off your field) which is what we need; the answer to this is No. And that is the most important issue here. Look I love the way the guy plays, and I hope that he will be able to control his anger management issues, but at this point in time he will hurt our overall team chemistry and I can only imagine how he would react if we had another challenging season next season (which could happen when you factor in the youth of the team & the injuries that are a part of the NFL).
    I can see him kicking footballs all around Rams park in a heart beat. We could bring him in at year 5 of Sprags regime but not in year two.
    I don't know about that. He's been quiet for the most part considering the Broncos' bizarre up and down rollercoaster season. If he can find respect for McDaniels then I think he'll find a way (like the rest of the team) to respect Spags. It's an interesting dynamic when you bring up chemistry because it can go either horribly or really well. Personally, I feel like if we brought T.O. in, for example, another losing team/season would make him freak out but with Marshall, I don't think he'd do that. With Spags, I bet he'd clean up his act real quick and to be honest he already has. I'd give him a shot for sure.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  5. #5
    01d 0rd3r's Avatar
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Lets assume that the opportunity to obtain him comes available for a decent deal. My vote is yes. The man has been a very good character guy since being punished, and if there is anything we can take from this year it is that players respect spags. With a strong head coach marshall will respect and obey spags authority. He doesnt needto step up and be a leader for our team, we already have a few guy like that (sjax, brown, little, laurenitus). All he has to do is come in here and make the plays, somthing that he has always done.

  6. #6
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I don't know about that. He's been quiet for the most part considering the Broncos' bizarre up and down rollercoaster season. If he can find respect for McDaniels then I think he'll find a way (like the rest of the team) to respect Spags. It's an interesting dynamic when you bring up chemistry because it can go either horribly or really well. Personally, I feel like if we brought T.O. in, for example, another losing team/season would make him freak out but with Marshall, I don't think he'd do that. With Spags, I bet he'd clean up his act real quick and to be honest he already has. I'd give him a shot for sure.

    The Randy Moss experient in New England worked because they win, have rings to prove it, and an established system in addition to an all-pro, superbowl winning QB who is the established leader of the team. If we had a more established team with a better pedigree then this would be a different issue all together.

    In contrast, we do not have that solid dynamic, while Sprags has respect, come on guys he couldn't even keep Cogs in check and Cogs is in a lower league influence wise than Marshall. Now I love the guy and his talent, and if this was Madden then I'd say yes, but not so early in the new regime. Look at how the Saints and Dolphins have built their team; I see us doing the same thing and you build the team Sprags wants wihtout personalities like B-Marsh.

  7. #7
    Dominating D's Avatar
    Dominating D is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    829
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    The Randy Moss experient in New England worked because they win, have rings to prove it, and an established system in addition to an all-pro, superbowl winning QB who is the established leader of the team. If we had a more established team with a better pedigree then this would be a different issue all together.

    In contrast, we do not have that solid dynamic, while Sprags has respect, come on guys he couldn't even keep Cogs in check and Cogs is in a lower league influence wise than Marshall. Now I love the guy and his talent, and if this was Madden then I'd say yes, but not so early in the new regime. Look at how the Saints and Dolphins have built their team; I see us doing the same thing and you build the team Sprags wants wihtout personalities like B-Marsh.
    Could not disagree with you more. I understand how you've come to your conclusion but it's based on alot of assumptions.

    No doubt Marshall comes with baggage. The question is the potential problems more than what he brings to the field? SOme will say yes and others will say no.

    IMHO Marshall can turn it around if he is paid well and is welcomed with open arms.

    Go Rams

  8. #8
    C-Mob 71's Avatar
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    ManofGod I see where you are coming from, and I understand and agree with your points, but the fact of the matter is he would drastically improve our team.

    Acquiring Brandon Marshall would be the best (talent wise) acquisition for the Rams since we traded for another guy named Marshall that also had attitude issues...

    Sure Spags has his four pillars, but like it or not in the end talent reigns supreme in the NFL. And sure, one player doesn't turn a team around, but boy he would certainly help!

  9. #9
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    ManofGod I see where you are coming from, and I understand and agree with your points, but the fact of the matter is he would drastically improve our team.

    Acquiring Brandon Marshall would be the best (talent wise) acquisition for the Rams since we traded for another guy named Marshall that also had attitude issues...

    Sure Spags has his four pillars, but like it or not in the end talent reigns supreme in the NFL. And sure, one player doesn't turn a team around, but boy he would certainly help!

    Come on guys let's not become like most of the league that values talent over character which can work in the short-term, but causes team chemistry problems in the future (ex. T.O. in Philly).

    I know its been a long hard road, but let's build internally and build a solid foundation rather than going for the quick fix.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -01-03-2010 at 12:10 AM.

  10. #10
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,415
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Not a four pillar player not a Ram

  11. #11
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    He has really cleaned his act up since the offseason. Can you blame him that a young hot shot coach comes in and runs his pro bowl QB out of town. He shutup then bought into the program. Then once again with a playoff berth on the line the hot shot does one thing you never do to a football player and that is question their toughness. You would never see Spags question Steven Jackson's toughness and if he ever did everyone knows even the new and improved S-Jax would have blown up. When McDaniels did that to Marshall he responded calmly showing alot of maturity and growth.

    Is he completely changed man? Probably not, but has he improved leaps and bounds IMO yes. His impact would bee enormous on this team, especially to whoever is playing QB and Steven Jackson who definately wants to extend his career by seeing less 8 man fronts. Spags saw the impact of semi troubled receiver in Plexico Burress, who helped his team win a superbowl. Marshall at this stage is by far a better player and isn't on Burresses level in terms of bad character. Depending on the price I would take the risk and go after him.

  12. #12
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    He has really cleaned his act up since the offseason. Can you blame him that a young hot shot coach comes in and runs his pro bowl QB out of town. He shutup then bought into the program. Then once again with a playoff berth on the line the hot shot does one thing you never do to a football player and that is question their toughness. You would never see Spags question Steven Jackson's toughness and if he ever did everyone knows even the new and improved S-Jax would have blown up. When McDaniels did that to Marshall he responded calmly showing alot of maturity and growth.

    Is he completely changed man? Probably not, but has he improved leaps and bounds IMO yes. His impact would bee enormous on this team, especially to whoever is playing QB and Steven Jackson who definately wants to extend his career by seeing less 8 man fronts. Spags saw the impact of semi troubled receiver in Plexico Burress, who helped his team win a superbowl. Marshall at this stage is by far a better player and isn't on Burresses level in terms of bad character. Depending on the price I would take the risk and go after him.
    According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[50]

    On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[51] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[52]

    On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[53] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[54]
    In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[55] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[56] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

    On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[57] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[56]

    According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[58]

    A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[59] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[60] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[61]

    On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[62] The charges were dropped the following day.[

    *He's only "behaving" now because he wants to be paid in the off season, but what do we see after a player gets his deal???? Poor play, an inflated ego, and drama both on the side lines & on and off the field. You mentioned Plax, but doesn't have a wrap sheet like this!!!
    Last edited by Nick; -01-03-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Edited to remove the links

  13. #13
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,919
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    He has really cleaned his act up since the offseason. Can you blame him that a young hot shot coach comes in and runs his pro bowl QB out of town. He shutup then bought into the program. Then once again with a playoff berth on the line the hot shot does one thing you never do to a football player and that is question their toughness. You would never see Spags question Steven Jackson's toughness and if he ever did everyone knows even the new and improved S-Jax would have blown up. When McDaniels did that to Marshall he responded calmly showing alot of maturity and growth.
    Here is how Marshall responded...

    In an extraordinary half-hour at Dove Valley, McDaniels insinuated on the podium that Marshall was exaggerating the extent of his injury and was unaccountable to the team. The Pro Bowl receiver responded from his locker by noting McDaniels never played in the NFL and hinting he might be getting called out by his coach because the Broncos' season is unraveling.
    "I don't think Coach ever played in the NFL, so for my hamstring to be feeling the way it felt, it's tough for me to go out there and expect to play at a high level," Marshall said. "I've battled through a whole lot of injuries before. I played the whole year last year with a tear in my hip. So, I don't think my toughness is in question here."

    Marshall also took offense to the suggestion he wasn't buying into McDaniels' program.

    "I'm a guy who's been giving it up a lot for this team," said Marshall, who has 101 receptions for 1,120 yards and 10 touchdowns. "I approached this year in a professional manner and I'm going to continue to do that. If he decides to take some personal shots because of the way the season's unfolding, it's not my fault. I've made big plays when I'm supposed to."
    I really can't say I'm particularly impressed by the maturity or growth displayed in these comments.

    The Rams have not been afraid to pass up on talent because of character issues. And while they say they're in a better position to take on a risk now than they were a year or two ago, I suspect - and this is just my opinion - that they're probably not interetsed in (1) trading multiple draft picks for a player who will surely not be allowed to hit the free agent market and then (2) make that player the highest paid receiver in the league when said player continues to take pot shots at his coach in the media.

    Whether McDaniels deserves criticism for his moves isn't the point. The point is a mature player doesn't take that to the media, and Marshall hasn't shown an ability to do that. If something happens in St. Louis and Spags has to come down on him, I've seen nothing from Marshall that leads me to believe it wouldn't be an issue. Talented as he is, I think what we've seen so far of the Rams suggestes they'd pass because of maturity issues.

  14. #14
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    Quote of the Day: "I really can't say I'm particularly impressed by the maturity or growth displayed in these comments."

    Well said Nick, you are hilarious. But the end of the pre-season the guy would be a serious problem. Sprags learned alot from the whole Plax saga, which is part of the reason why he has the 4-pillar philosophy.

  15. #15
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Brandon Marshall our no.1 free agent WR?

    "I don't think coach ever played in the NFL" Definately not the worst thing I've heard an NFL player say. I thought he was looking for the brighter side of a bad scenario. Comments weren't that bad IMO, but when it comes to giving up picks I don't think the Rams will go there, so i digress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2010 WR Fas
    By 3STL9 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: -12-17-2009, 12:39 AM
  2. Nick Wagoner on the Rams and Free Agency ..
    By MauiRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-10-2009, 06:36 PM
  3. 2007/2008 Free Agents
    By RamWraith in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -07-21-2007, 05:28 PM
  5. Salary Cap Request
    By HUbison in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -12-31-2004, 02:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •