Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Brandt: Dorsey could fall due to knee injury

Dorsey’s Knee Could Affect Draft Status
    By Thayer Evans
    January 7, 2008, 8:22 pm

NEW ORLEANS — While the senior Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey is seemingly the front-runner to be the first overall pick in April’s N.F.L. draft, his stock could be impacted by a right knee injury that he sustained earlier this season.

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Dorsey strained the knee during an Oct. 20 game against Auburn after enduring a chop block and was hampered by it the rest of the season. Yet he still won Nagurski Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and Lott Award this season.

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive and an analyst for nfl.com, said he expected Dorsey’s knee to be heavily scrutinized by N.F.L. team doctors at the N.F.L. combine in February.

Dorsey could find himself in a draft situation similar to Minnesota Vikings tailback Adrian Peterson, Brandt said. Many believed Peterson was the best prospect in last year’s N.F.L. draft, but he was selected seventh over all because he was coming off a broken collarbone and had been hampered by injuries his previous two seasons.

“I would imagine that there’s some concern with his knee,” Brandt said of Dorsey in a telephone interview. “The teams’ doctors, 25 of them might say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with this guy. He’s in great shape.’ Seven might say, ‘Well, I think he’s a risk.’”

But because Dorsey plays defensive tackle, a position more coveted in the N.F.L., his value may ultimately outweigh possible concerns about his knee, Brandt said. If he was the No. 1 overall pick in the N.F.L. Draft, he would be the first defensive tackle selected in that spot since the Cincinnati Bengals took Ohio State’s Dan Wilkinson in 1994.

“He’s a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful human being,” Brandt said of Dorsey. “He’s a great, great person. He’s one of the nicest, politest guys you’ll ever meet in your life. The guy is unbelievable athletically. The guy’s got everything you want in a good football player.”

So will Dorsey’s knee injury negatively affect him in the draft? Will he be the first pick? Why or why not? If not, who will be?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Brandt: Dorsey could fall due to knee injury

I still think he might be the first or second pick. If the Phins dont pick him, the rams most likely will.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Dorsey strained the knee during an Oct. 20 game against Auburn after enduring a chop block and was hampered by it the rest of the season.
    He wasn't TOO hampered. Per game splits......
    Before the injury: 4.86 tackles, 0.79 tfl, 0.57 sacks
    After the injury: 5.00 tackles, 1.00 tfl, 0.43 sacks
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

For as highly regarded as Dorsey is, often referred to as one of the best UT prospects to come out since Warren Sapp, the guy only has 12 sacks for his career at LSU, including six this year. Granted he's only been a full time starter for two years, but I guess I kind of expected those numbers to be better.

For instance, as a nose tackle for USC, Sedrick Ellis has accumulated more sacks in the last two years than Dorsey has. If these knee concerns turn into legitimate red flags for Dorsey, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ellis be taken first. It wouldn't be the first time a highly-rated DT has slipped due to injury concerns (Alan Branch anyone?).

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Brant is really speculating there, so I'm not going to place too much stock in this until the Combine.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Brant is really speculating there, so I'm not going to place too much stock in this until the Combine.
    Very true, the ultimate evaluation will come at the Combine. Dorsey could very well check out completely healthy and not be affected.

RealRam is offline Registered User

It wouldn't be the first time a highly-rated DT has slipped due to injury concerns (Alan Branch anyone?). -- Nick
    That certainly rings a bell! Seems like just yesterday we were already debating between Branch and Carriker as the main staple for the 07 draft. Glad we got AC.

True, we'll have to wait till combine day to see how Dorsey compares with two, three other DL prospects.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Hmm other threads are mentioning back problems too...are they just confused or are both his knee and back injured?

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

What were alan branchs stats last year anyways? Does anyone know?
    Built RAM tough

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Very true, the ultimate evaluation will come at the Combine. Dorsey could very well check out completely healthy and not be affected.
    If your comment is directed to the health of Dorsey then I agree, but if you think the combine is the ultimate measuring stick of talent, then I couldn't disagree with you more. I prefer Gamers over workout warriors. Again, if you were referring to the former then disregard the latter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

harrydog is offline Registered User

What was his injury exactly? A strained knee? As knee injuries go, that isn't all that serious of an injury is it? I mean in terms of making a full recovery to 100%

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Over the next 4 months, he'll see more doctors than a pregnant man; so I'm sure the teams will have a good hold on it. However, the kid played just as well (or even better) after the injury than before. The game film just doesn't seem to show a lingering effect.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod