chiguy is offline Registered User

Breaking down the Rams defensive needs

As I read the threads on this forum, I'm finding out that you folks have a much different view of the Rams defensive unit than I do. I'm stunned there is so much support for putting a lot of picks into the LB corps. I just don't see it that way.

First, CB is the deepest position on the defensive side of the roster and it has guys who can play. No stars, mind you, but guys who can play in Fischer, Butler, Bartells, and Ivy. That's decent depth and not the biggest need. In fact, I think with the right scheme (e.g., an effective zone package) and an improved pass rush, they would be good enough. The Colts almost have it right about CBs in my opinion.

Second, we have a ton of cap money invested in LB. We couldn't trade Claiborne if we tried and, besides, he didn't completely suck in his previous seasons. Pisa is the only playmaker we have on defense, and Chillars and Faulk aren't bad depth players. If Coakley doesn't retire or get put on the unable-to-perform list, that's even more money at this position. As bad as our defense was, do we want to try to make this group work better in a new scheme or throw more money at it?

Third, we don't have one safety on the roster who has proven he is a starter. Atogwae and Carter might be good enough, but its not clear at this point. Arch isn't under contract and I don't see us bringing him back. Furrey simply isn't good enough in zone coverage or run support to be counted on. Safety is a big need.

Fourth, our line has been mediocre for years. Pickett played well this year, but I'm not sure he's worth the $4 million he's asking for ... especially because he only played well in the contract year. Hargrove hasn't shown he can do anything and, at a minimum, Little can't do it alone. Kennedy is a waste of space and Lewis isn't anything better than a backup.

I look at this situation and can't understand why most people don't come to one of two conclusions:

1. Find a way to shore up the line, preferably by finding a pass rusher. A better pass rush would make the corners and safeties automatically look even better. If its a DT we get, it would automatically make the LBs look better by giving them clean shots at the ball carrier.

2. Find a safety who can tackle, hit, and make plays.

If an AJ Hawk falls into your lap, you take him of course. Ditto a top notch corner. But that's not likely to happen. I think the route we pursue is going to depend a lot on what kind of defense the next coach is going to implement.

Anyway, just my $.02 after reading the board for two days.
    Last edited by chiguy; -01-05-2006 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Typo

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Breaking down the Rams defensive needs

The biggest need would have to be to replace Marmie. We need a proven DC and Marmie is not that guy. A new secondary coach is a need in my mind also.

I am not sure you can really say that we have depth at CB. Butler has been injured most the year, and Fisher has not played well this year. Bartell is still learning. Ivy has done well, but he is not in all the time.

So is Pisa playing so well that they moved him over to the offense now? That is pretty impressive....or perhaps that was a typo.
    Just kidding with you.

Pisa has done well but he is not the only playmaker. There are others who have stepped up at times, but not as consistently as Pisa.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As bad as our corners were this year, I still think they might have been the best unit on our defense. I'd say that's depth, relative to the rest of the defense anyway...especially when you consider all the injuries.

Like I said, though, its just my view of the situation.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Fourth, our line has been mediocre for years. Pickett played well this year, but I'm not sure he's worth the $4 million he's asking for ... especially because he only played well in the contract year. Hargrove hasn't shown he can do anything and, at a minimum, Little can't do it alone. Kennedy is a waste of space and Lewis isn't anything better than a backup.
    Pickett was one of the better DTs in the league this year. Kennedy didnt play bad. I havent figured out yet while he was pulled. In the last three games Hargrove had 5 1/2 sacks. Is that good enough for you? Little doesnt have to do it alone, there's enough talent here. Lewis is a waste of space. Simple as that.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Pickett played great this year. A contract year. In the three non-contract years, he was sometimes good and sometimes mediocre. I'd love to see him back, but not at $4 million. At that price, I'd rather say goodbye and use the cap space to build more depth on defense and special teams.

Kennedy looked really good in the first four games or so, but then his performance really dropped off. Some of this is undoubtedly due to the hernia, but its not like he's been consistently good in the past.

Lewis is nothing spectacular, but he's not entirely embarassing either. He's a back-up at best.

With respect to our DEs, they were just not very good this year. Hargrove looked better at the end of the season, as did Little. But at least part of that was because we started to blitz more. But, we blitzed more because we weren't generating any pressure on the QB. LL hasn't been the same since he signed the contract extension and Hargrove hasn't proven anything consistently. OUr defense was best when we had Wistrom, Little, Jackson, Johnson, etc. on the line.

Simple as that. To me anyway.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

When I watch an offence run a play against the Rams D, the first thing i notice is the lack of push that our boys generate against the opponents. There is no nice way to say it, we get beaten up out there. I must say it has improved greatly over last year, but i still get that feeling when watching our defence that they are the victims, getting knocked around by bigger, stronger offences.

I agree with ChiGuy that the majority of our problems lie within our dissapointing Dline, but in general we lack a threat at any position on the defensive side of the ball. Leonard Little, is a great player, but he is getting old, and Offences dont mind running plays at him anymore. The defence is a collection of mediocre, usually undersized players playing there hearts out to make plays. Claiborne was supposed to bring that beef to the front 7, but the lack of DT's and DE's would make it hard for any LB to make plays.
    Defence Wins Championships

It also doesn't hurt that they refused to keep Coakley and Claiborne on the field in passing downs. One reason why we should've blitzed our LBs more this year...to keep other teams a bit more honest in their play calling.