Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Brian Quick @ 33?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Brian Quick @ 33?

I think the 2nd round goes like this :

#33: Rueben Randle, WR, LSU / Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
    #39: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    #45: LaMar Miller, RB, Miami
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -04-27-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Aussie Dave likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Obviously nobody can be sure when he'll go off the board, but smart decision making consists of weighing where players are likely to go and drafting accordingly. I don't think you should draft players at the earliest spot you could conceivably think of them going off the board just because you fell in love with them.
    The Rams can only guess which players will be taken between 34-38, so if they snooze, they may lose.

I'm betting they'll take a WR at #33. Don't know who their top WR is, but I think we'll know in just over an hour.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Obviously nobody can be sure when he'll go off the board, but smart decision making consists of weighing where players are likely to go and drafting accordingly.
    How fans weigh those options, how the media weighs those options, and how NFL teams weigh those options could be all different things.

Seattle was the recipient of a lot of negative fan and media reactions for the Bruce Irvin pick, but a report from Pro Football Talk suggests multiple teams had Irvin as a Top 15 player, and another report indicated 3-4 other teams that would have selected him in the first round.

Jenkins was a shock to many as the fourth WR off the board to the *****, but additional info post-pick suggests that he was the second best receiver on at least one board, and even the Rams had a grade on him that apparently wasn't significantly far from Blackmon's. If a fan would have suggested such an idea, they would have been laughed at.

The further down the Rams get in the draft order, the closer all of these guys become. The evaluation grade that separates Randle, Hill, Quick, Jeffery may not be very far apart. If that's the case, the Rams will go with the one who is the best fit for their offense and whom they think will be the best for them. With his size and athletic ability, Quick is very intriguing.

Anyone who says "You can get him later" needs to start charging for fortune telling services. You can NEVER know if you can get someone later. It's the mother of all assumptions. Prior to last night, everyone thought A.J. Jenkins would be available for the Rams in the second round. I even thought he may be there in the third.

I'm going to trust that the Rams, who I can GUARANTEE have put in more hours watching tape and talking to people than any of us have, are going to make what they think is the best decision for their offense and their team. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. But the fact that they had Randle, Quick, and Givens in for visits, and here they sit with the chance to nab one with the first pick of the second round, suggests to me that they had some kind of inkling that this scenario may happen and have prepared for it.

They should strike while the iron is hot and get the guy they want, not wait until later under the assumption that he'll be available the next time they pick. Many assumed Blackmon would reach the Rams @ 6; anything can happen. That's not an excuse to reach for a guy, but if you think he's worthy of your selection, don't pass on him because of the assumption that others won't take him.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

The only way I see the Rams not taking Randle, Quick, and or Givens if these are the WR on their board at #39. Is if the Rams have another player at another position ranked higher. Knowing they can come back and get one of the three would be worst case.

A guy like Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia could be such a player, we shall soon see....

Treeram is offline Registered User

uhhhh just to point out that Applachian State IS a division I school. It's just FCS instead of FBS...
    poejoe8 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Starting to sound like Quick is the pick and with a name like Quick how can you not like it.

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Treeram View Post
    uhhhh just to point out that Applachian State IS a division I school. It's just FCS instead of FBS...
    You would be correct Sir! It' amazing that these 'experts' still can't get their heads around a simple distinction created by the FBS programs themselves.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Think this guy would of been there at 45 or 50..... Dont like this draft at all.... Seems like a lot of reaching going on....

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Think this guy would of been there at 45 or 50..... Dont like this draft at all.... Seems like a lot of reaching going on....
    Doesn't matter, Fisher & Co. wanted a WR here and they liked Quick the most. They figured that they needed to take their guy and move on to their next choice...Jenkins. All five of our picks the last two days will contribute the first year. This has been the best three rounds we've had in the past 25+ years...by far.

punahou is offline Registered User

they are trying to imitate Bobby Beathard....... the difference is Beathard had a track record of picking small school talent that actualyl panned out. Anyhow whats done is done-- we still need OL and OLB.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I don't know. Only pick I thought was possibly a reach was Quick, but who knows when he'd be drafted if we didn't pick him.

Great pick, crazy that this news actually happened!

THE DREAM TEAM

general counsel is offline Registered User

We could have had him later? Why are you guys spending time on this board? With that type of psychic power, why arent you out buying lottery tickets, since you must be able to predict the future.

The rams had an obvious need. We all wanted a wide reciever. Well, we got one, and we got the one that fisher wanted. I dont know how in the world we as fans can honestly believe that we know more than fisher, let alone be able to predict what other teams would have done. They did the right thing taking the guy that they wanted.

Av hit the nail on the head yesterday. If the rams were close to indifferent among three or four receivers, then they should have taken cordy glenn. If there was one receiver that they had rated higher that they really liked the best, then they should grab him, and that is exactly what happened.

You can NEVER know what would have happened later. ANyone can have an opinion, there is just no basis at all in fact on that type of opinion because there is absolutely no data in either direction to support it so you can never be wrong with a statement like that.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    poejoe8 likes this.

Treeram is offline Registered User

There is a common misconception that because a guy went to a small school that no one else wanted him. I would bet that Chicago would have taken him with that Jeffery pick or he could have been gone to the Broncos or Browns for that matter. Too many teams are looking for that type of talent. He is a little bit more polished than Stephen Hill as well, played in an offense where he was the centerpiece.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeram View Post
    There is a common misconception that because a guy went to a small school that no one else wanted him. I would bet that Chicago would have taken him with that Jeffery pick or he could have been gone to the Broncos or Browns for that matter. Too many teams are looking for that type of talent. He is a little bit more polished than Stephen Hill as well, played in an offense where he was the centerpiece.
    The difference between Stephen Hill and Quick? Quick can actually catch, and can actually run routes.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast