Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Brodrick Bunkley

In another thread, I commented on the fact that I don't think the Rams should draft Brodrick Bunkley in the first round. I thought it would be beneficial to create a thread to elaborate on why.

Bunkley had an oustanding senior season, racking up 23 tackles for loss with nine sacks. He's a very quick and athletic player, who can move well laterally down the line. He's a good pass rushing defensive tackle who has displayed good upper body strength and a good motor.

However, he doesn't fit what we're looking for in an immediate need. After signing La'Roi Glover and letting Ryan Pickett walk, the Rams are in need of a big run-stuffing nose tackle. That's a role that Jimmy Kennedy will likely compete for, but if the Rams draft Bunkley and expect him to start next to Glover, they're going to find themselves suseptible to inside runs because neither Bunkley or Glover have great size for the defensive tackle position and neither are big run-stuffing nose tackles.

Furthermore, Bunkley has some injury concerns and off the field issues that should raise red flags. He tore his left ACL in high school, and then tore his left MCL in 2002. He has a bit of a nagging ankle injury from last season, and defensive tackles with ankle injuries are something we've had bad experience with in the past. He's not known for an exceptional work ethic, either.

You could draft Bunkley with the expectation of him spelling Glover at the under tackle position and eventually (if everything works out) taking over that position when Glover either retires or is a free agent. But if the Rams are looking for a player to compliment Glover on the line and compete with Kennedy for a starting job, I don't think Bunkley is the answer.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: Brodrick Bunkley

Yes, our Need is to fill Pickett's spot, which is that of a BiG run stuffer. Glover plays the other quick penetrating spot which D. Lewis played last year.

I don't know that much about Bunkley, but I did see some tape on Ngata tonight. That guys ankles are like some men's thighs! He has Natural strength.

As to Nick's points, I have to agree.
    We have an undersized LB corps that has struggled with the inside run before. It is necessary to have someone (Kennedy or otherwise) to plug up that middle as a run stuffing Nose tackle. I read somewhere where Linehan was describing the two different DEF tackle spots that the Ram's employ. He mentioned how Glover will fill D-Lew's spot. The team was still interested in Pickett for the Other Nose Tackle spot, which he described as a different type of player. I think they refer to Glover's spot as a 3 technique if I'm not mistaken. Glover can play that spot well, but, he cannot play the other. Dallas tried him as a Nose Tackle last year and he was benched for a nobody (Jason Feguson).

Our Defense is designed to be like Baltimore's Old Defense or the Carolina's Panthers. They use at least one Big, Run stuffing DT that occupys multiple O-lineman and that allows Ray Lewis and Dan Morgan to run free to the ball.

For our Defense to be successful, we'll need a BIG NOSE TACKLE that the other team has to account for. Kennedy will get every shot, but these guys are often rotated for freshness (due to their size). So, if we Kennedy works out, great- we'll need him in our Defense anyway.

The type of player we need is like Gilbert Brown (350lb) formerly of Green Bay. Nate Newton - former Viking. Sam Adams - when he was on the Ravens.

There's an outside chance the Ram's may move to upgrade Hargrove. Sure, he has all the tools and he's young - but, he hasn't produced. He's also struggled when they run right at him. Obviously, though we can't bring in a whole new DEFENSE, so we'll need some of our current guys to develop.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Tremendous point from tony soprano, right at the end of the post. WE NEED OUR CURRENT GUYS TO DEVELOP.

Starting first and foremost with the big bear, jimmy kennedy. Guys defensive tackles rarely come into the league and make an immediate impact. Dont count on much help out of that position draft wise, except maybe just maybe some depth.

The key swing guy on the entire roster right now is jimmy kennedy. If he steps up, the impact on our defense, coupled with adding glover, spoon and chaveous will be substantial. Bartell and hargrove are also critical. On a lesser level, there is plenty of room for improvement from groce and chillar. Obviously, travis fisher can improve if he returns to health. OJ can potentially be a starter. Who knows with carter. Can brandon green get any better? Can leonard little return to form?

These questions are critical when addressing our potential improvement. Great thinking tony.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I don't know that much about Bunkley, but I did see some tape on Ngata tonight. That guys ankles are like some men's thighs! He has Natural strength.
    Ngata would be an ideal fit for us at the nose tackle position. He has great size to occupy blockers and clog up the interior, and also has great strength to hold his own and collapse the pocket. He has some concerns of his own, but it's clear as a bright blue sky that Ngata fills exactly what we're looking for on the defensive line.

The only question is, can anyone really expect a rookie defensive tackle to make any kind of immediate impact? If he's on the board, do we draft Ngata with the intent of possibly starting him in his rookie season? You typically don't get great results from rookie defensive tackles; usually it takes at least two years before they really come into their own. Do the Rams depend on Kennedy to start and then sub in Ngata? I'm not sure what the answers to any of these questions are.

An interesting late Day One option could be Stanford's Babatunde Oshinowo (who would combine with Pisa Tinoisamoa, Blaine Saipaia, Brandon Manumaleuna, and Oshiomogho Atogwe to give us the best roster in the league in terms of exotic names). He can play the nose tackle position, and while he doesn't have the same kind of ideal size that Ngata has, is an underrated and powerful defensive tackle prospect.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-24-2006 at 11:21 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

An interesting late Day One option could be Stanford's Babatunde Oshinowo (who would combine with Pisa Tinoisamoa, Blaine Saipaia, Brandon Manumaleuna, and Oshiomogho Atogwe to give us the best roster in the league in terms of exotic names).
    Good stuff

chiguy is offline Registered User

If Ngata is available, I think we've got to choose him despite the problems you identify Nick. He'd easily be the best value pick at #11 and we can get a decent linebacker in the second round.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Any +400 lbs players coming out the draft that we can set in the middle of our line?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i would love taking some defensive line in the middle rounds not the 1st round and have them turnin into busts.... i dont want another DT as our 1st round pick

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    i would love taking some defensive line in the middle rounds not the 1st round and have them turnin into busts.... i dont want another DT as our 1st round pick
    I'm not sure I follow you here, maybe you can help me understand. How is that any different than saying don't take a RB in the first because Canidate was a bust? Or don't take a LB in the first because Thomas was a bust?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    Any +400 lbs players coming out the draft that we can set in the middle of our line?
    Not that I want to be known as a Chubby-chaser, but Ngata was 355 lbs at the combine and he dunked a basketball. The reports from the combine said they were impressed with his agility and prowess for a 355 lber. He has natural strength.