Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: The Broncos Failure (Or... why Sammy Watkins isn't #1 on my draft board)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Broncos Failure (Or... why Sammy Watkins isn't #1 on my draft board)

As a kid, I played a lot of neighborhood football. In those games, I always modeled my game after the big-play WRs (for me, it was guys like Billy Waddy, Henry Ellard and Flipper Anderson). Years later, as a middle-aged guy who recently lost a footrace to his 15 year old son, I still have that affinity for wideouts.

As a result, when I see a guy like Sammy Watkins at the Combine, I have that knee-jerk reaction that says "Wow! I want that guy on the Rams!"

Let's face it... his highlight film is a lot more exciting than the films of Jake Matthews and Greg Robinson (who sit at the top of my board).

After the initial reaction wears off, however, I remember why I put OTs at the top in the first place.

Look at this year's Super Bowl. The Broncos came into the game with one of the most dynamic and successful passing offenses of all time - and they were completely shut down.

They weren't shut down because they lacked a "Sammy Watkins type" WR (Demaryius Thomas is a comparable player). They weren't shut down because they lacked depth at the WR position (Decker, Welker).

They were shut down because the Seahawks were not in the least bit frightened of the Broncos running game and, as a result, they were able to devote al their resources to pass defense.

If the Rams are going to overtake teams like Seattle, its not going to be because they have the tools to throw the ball 35-40 times/game. They will do it if they can consistently run the ball effectively. That takes a good OL, and OT is a great place to start.

So, while I'd love to see Sammy Watkins in a Rams uniform, if its a choice between him and Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson, middle-aged me knows the right answer.
    MauiRam and Goldenfleece like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: The Broncos Failure (Or... why Sammy Watkins isn't #1 on my draft board)

Losing the Superbowl is for losers.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

And our first nomination for the "Most Pointless Post of the Day" award goes to...

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Losing the Superbowl is for losers.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-25-2014 at 01:13 PM.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree more. Drafting the Big "O" was the start of something big for the Rams in the late '90's. It wasn't the "glamour" pick then but it turned out to be the right one. The Rams had had plenty of flashy players but it was the Pace, Slater, Mack types that made the teams great. Hopefully, we end up with one of those types of linemen out of this draft.

kman is offline Registered User

I hear ya about the broncos analogy, but heres the issue..You need a balanced attack, broncos were all about throwing, we both can agree, a defense can take that away, we all agree...the rams have proven they can run the ball effectivley last season with Stacy. We need a better passing game(hence draft watkins) so that teams cant stack the box against us..we dont want to be one dimensional like Denver( although we are the opposite, run heavy)..thats just my 2 cents..I would love to get watkins and one of those top tackles..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm torn with the direction to go here. We need more offensive playmaking to compete in the NFC West. At the same time we need at least a solid O-line to support the running and passing game.

WR or OL?....

From what I've read and seen on television, this years draft is very deep at the WR position. I'm not sure how the OL players stack up as far as depth in the draft goes. I would just hate to see us draft a WR late and the player doesn't pan out.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Of course we need a better passing game for better balance. The key point there is that Sammy, not Clemens is going to be our qb. The incremental difference watkins would add will not be the same as the incremental difference that an outstanding offensive line will add. We have some weapons guys, and i dont want to overlook how good bailey looked at the end of the year. I am not saying the wide receiver situation is perfect, and surely a brandon marshall would help a lot, but to me, that is not watkins, and as a result, i am much more interested in getting as close to a top notch line as possible, because i dont care if we bring back bruce and holt, without a strong offensive line, we arent going to be able to run or throw. When people say we have shown we can run the ball, that is not applicable without an offensive line under contract. True last year, but not clear right now.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Is there anything more disheartening for a defense than the realization they cannot stop the run. When a team's defense is losing the battle at the LOS (particularly in the second half) it doesn't do much for team morale on either side of the ball. I don't know how great Matthews or Robinbson will be at the next level, but I feel reasonably sure either one could be plugged in somewhere on our O-line and quickly make it better than what we currently have.

The other side of the coin is if our 2014 offense can consistently generate a good running game, our defense improves dramatically. Think of it this way: Av lost a footrace to his 15 year old son. (Whether it was by a nose or 2 car lengths, he didn't bother to mention.) If a couple of his son's friends happened to be watching and subsequently challenged Av to consecutive races, chances are Av would've lost those too, as even the best need a breather now and then.

Okay- I'll throw a bone: maybe if one of those kids is really obese and Av races him 2nd, it's possible there could've been a tie.

RealRam is offline Registered User

By now OTs Matthews and Robinson are probably seeing themselves as a STL Ram -- as well as their respective agents, families and fans.

That's good for them, and very good for us.

Then with our 2nd pick, my hope in order of preference: Watkins (likely gone), Evans, or perhaps Benjamin.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    By now OTs Matthews and Robinson are probably seeing themselves as a STL Ram -- as well as their respective agents, families and fans.

That's good for them, and very good for us.

Then with our 2nd pick, my hope in order of preference: Watkins (likely gone), Evans, or perhaps Benjamin.
    Evans ... please Evans. I guess Benjamin is a good option if DET or another team snatches up Evans.

Nothing would make me happier than Robinson > Evans

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Excellent point.