throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Browns having a fire sale?

NFL meetings offer Cleveland Browns' new regime another chance to ponder roster changes

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer reporter Sunday March 22, 2009, 10:44 PM

DANA POINT, Calif. -- If the Browns intend to pursue further roster upheaval, then seeds of potential trades will be planted here this week at the annual NFL owners meetings. Because of a confluence of a couple situations, seldom in recent memory has the NFL landscape been so rife with trade conversation and rumor.
    One factor is the uncertainty of the current league labor agreement. With one year remaining before the league system changes drastically, teams are more apt to move players and contracts they ordinarily wouldn't consider.
    Another factor is the shakeup in coaches and front offices. More than 33 percent of the NFL teams -- 11 of 32 -- have new coaches or general managers in place since this time a year ago.
    New men in charge always result in a higher than normal rate of player movement. That's been the case already in Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Denver, and elsewhere.

The Browns have been the subject of several publicized trade rumors. Some may be sloughed off as Internet chatter. But there is a prevalent perception within the league that the Browns' management team of coach Eric Mangini and General Manager George Kokinis is intent on making more moves beyond the trade of Kellen Winslow to Tampa Bay.
    Sources have said the Browns are willing to part with any player except left tackle Joe Thomas and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson. They also would like to move down from the No. 5 spot in the draft.
    The names of Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Braylon Edwards and Shaun Rogers have surfaced in trade rumors. The Browns haven't addressed the rumors -- they won't even confirm visits from free agents -- but Mangini and Kokinis consistently have said they would consider anything to improve the team.
    Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Everyone is on the block, but Joe Thomas and Deqwell Jackson. Guys like Braylon Edwards, Brady Quinn, Derrick Anderson and Shaun Rodgers are all out there. If you could have any Brown who would it be and what would you give up.

Re: Browns having a fire sale?

I would give up a second rounder for Shaun Rodgers, that guy is a beast definately improve our run game. If he is really on the block, if I were Devaney I would be running to the phone, it isn't easy to get impact players like that

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I would give up a second rounder for Shaun Rodgers, that guy is a beast definately improve our run game. If he is really on the block, if I were Devaney I would be running to the phone, it isn't easy to get impact players like that
    Took the words right from my mouth. Didn't they get him for a third last year? Perhaps we could squeeze out a third and maybe a player.

And even though Braylon showed the case of the dropsies last year, he also showed he can be a bona fide number one two years ago.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

Josh Cribbs would be nice to boost the return game

Mooselini Guest

Oh man, getting Shawn Rodgers would make me die and go to heaven. If that truly happened for a second round pick, I'd love it!

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    And even though Braylon showed the case of the dropsies last year, he also showed he can be a bona fide number one two years ago.
    That's where the money is, in my opinion. If it's a free-for-all as suggested, someone's going to trade a high pick for him.

Something that really hasn't come up in Clan discussion is the possibility of Crabtree to Cleveland, regardless of the Edwards developments. Their next best receiver is Dante Stallworth, who carries the nickname of 'Santa Claus' amongst Browns fans due to his propensity to show up with presents about once every year. Josh Cribbs, their return man and converted corner, is the slot man.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -03-23-2009 at 03:12 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Andra Davis would make a fine MIKE for this team. He's a touch older at 30, but he could fill the MIKE position for the next 3 or maybe 4 seasons.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

I thought that Andra Davis signed with the broncos?

general counsel is offline Registered User

At this point, Dante Stallworth has a LOT bigger problems than his hands. Based on recent events, its highly likely that he will be spending some time out of football.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Definately Shawn Rogers would be a really good addition to the Rams, but what's it going to cost the Rams to get him????????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jmk321 is offline Registered User

So the Browns are going to have an entire team of role players after this off season? Getting Shaun Rogers puts a pro bowler at a big need and could completely turn the defense around along with the addition of a good MLB. If the Rams can get him for a second rounder they should jump on that right away because you're not going to get a second rounder who will make as much of a difference as he will.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2oo2 View Post
    I thought that Andra Davis signed with the broncos?
    Oops, you're right. My bad. Well........guess we can cross him off the list.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrover40 View Post
    Definately Shawn Rogers would be a really good addition to the Rams, but what's it going to cost the Rams to get him????????
    They got him for a 3rd and 5th round pick. I think we can get him for a second rounder because he is coming off a pro bowl system and he is well worth it IMO.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    So the Browns are going to have an entire team of role players after this off season? Getting Shaun Rogers puts a pro bowler at a big need and could completely turn the defense around along with the addition of a good MLB. If the Rams can get him for a second rounder they should jump on that right away because you're not going to get a second rounder who will make as much of a difference as he will.
    Nah, I don't think the intent is so much to dump off talent as it is to accumulate draft picks. They're blowing the whole thing up and starting over so to speak.

I'd definitely think it was worth talking about what they'd want for Shaun Rogers. Of course, he just turned 30, so I'd give it a little thought before coughing up the 35th pick in the draft.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Shaun rogers is going to want a fortune to sign. ITs not worth it for us. Short term, sure, but the reality is that we are rebuilding and his age and weight issues, along with his attitude, scare me to death.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast