Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Browns "hoping" to land RGIII

THOLTFAN81 is online now Registered User

Browns "hoping" to land RGIII

Per Rotoworld

"League sources" tell NFL.com's Steve Wyche the Browns are hoping to land Baylor QB Robert Griffin III in April's draft.

Wyche delivered the info in the middle of a mock draft, but it's still notable as the first semi-confirmation of something that has been speculated for weeks. The Browns would likely have to acquire St. Louis' No. 2 overall pick to ensure landing the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner, but with both the No. 4 and No. 22 selections, they are in excellent position to trade up. The Browns have made it clear Colt McCoy will face competition in 2012, and if it's in the form of Griffin, it's a competition he'd almost certainly lose.
    Music to my ears.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Browns "hoping" to land RGIII

Thatd be awesome.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Perfect. Now for this to actually happen, lets hope!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

That would be a tough trade to argue with. The Rams would be guaranteed to still have their choice of at least three of the four players at the top of my draft board (1. Blackmon, 2. Kalil, 3. Claiborne, 4. Richardson) AND get an extra first round pick.

The Rams need there to be at least two suitors. If there is only one, that team could try to deal with the Vikings, taking the chance that the Rams won't draft another QB. If there are multiple suitors, though, the only way to be certain that you won't be leap-frogged would be to trade to the#2 spot.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That would be a tough trade to argue with. The Rams would be guaranteed to still have their choice of at least three of the four players at the top of my draft board (1. Blackmon, 2. Kalil, 3. Claiborne, 4. Richardson) AND get an extra first round pick.

The Rams need there to be at least two suitors. If there is only one, that team could try to deal with the Vikings, taking the chance that the Rams won't draft another QB. If there are multiple suitors, though, the only way to be certain that you won't be leap-frogged would be to trade to the#2 spot.
    Exactly,if no1 shows any intention to jump the browns they will sit there at 4 and pick him because good chance he wont be taken by colts,rams,or vikings so they wouldnt need to trade up.The fear factor of being jumped is what we are counting on.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

You can almost guarantee that the 'Skins will be looking to move up. Maybe even the Dolphins.

Rambos is offline Registered User

AV right and I think there are at least three teams the Browns, Dolphins and the Skins... The Browns can set the opening bid at two first rounds picks, what say you Skins and Fins....
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-18-2012 at 12:57 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The best thing going in our favor is that the Skins and the Fins have free spending owners and would love to have a marquee QB for ticket sales. RGIII certainly fits that order.

Go Rams!

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Dont forget about Matt Flyn i def think one of those teams might pick him up,that would hurt us since that would be 1 less team to possibly trade with or even scare the others to trading with us.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From yesterday's Akron Beacon Journal...

Would Browns trade up to pick Robert Griffin III as some early mock drafts predict?
    By Nate Ulrich
    Beacon Journal sports writer
    Published: January 17, 2012 - 05:06 PM

The NFL Scouting Combine doesn’t begin until Feb. 22. Free agency doesn’t start until March 13. And the NFL Draft doesn’t kick off until April 26.

Despite those facts, the business of prematurely publishing mock drafts is in full swing.

Several early mock drafts — like five of these eight from NFL.com — predict the Browns will select Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III with the fourth overall pick.

A couple of others, one by Steve Wyche of NFL.com and another by Andrew Perloff of SI.com, have the Browns trading up to acquire the second overall pick from the St. Louis Rams, then using the selection to nab Griffin.

In Wyche’s mock draft, which was published today, he wrote, “Several teams are going to try and move up to get Griffin but the Browns have the most ammo — the fourth overall pick and a late first-rounder or high picks in later rounds. Cleveland needs Griffin — and wants him, according to league sources — and the Rams will still get their man.” Wyche predicted the Rams would select Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon fourth overall if they could pull off the trade with the Browns.

The Browns have expressed a desire to acquire a quarterback — via free agency or the draft — who can compete with Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace in training camp, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if the organization is interested in Griffin, whom coach Pat Shurmur raved about in late December. It would, however, be more surprising if the Browns traded up. General Manager Tom Heckert covets draft picks — he made the blockbuster draft-day trade last year with the Atlanta Falcons so he could stockpile selections — and the Browns have so many holes to fill on their roster.

In other words, trading picks to move up the draft board doesn’t seem to be Heckert’s style. It’s more likely, in my opinion, that the Browns would stay put at No. 4 or even trade down if Heckert targets a player he believes will be available later.

Other mock drafts have other teams trading up to the No. 2 spot to select Griffin, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Albert Breer of NFL Network predicted the Miami Dolphins would do so, and Jason La Canfora of NFL Network has the Washington Redskins swooping in to take Griffin second overall.

Sure, a team might trade up for Griffin. I just don’t think it’ll be the Browns. But if he’s available at No. 4, the bigwigs in Berea should pounce.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    From yesterday's Akron Beacon Journal...
    Well, I don't really care what Tom Heckert thinks. At the end of the day it is all going to be about what Mike Holmgren wants to do.

And, rest assured, after two years of suffering with the likes of Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace and the immortal Jake Delhomme, he has got to be chomping at the bit to get a young franchise -changing QB in Cleveland.

I believe one of the reasons Holmgren was hired in the first place was because of his reputation as a QB guru, and to FINALLY address the QB position for the first time since Bernie Kosar for crying out loud.

If the Browns do not sign Matt Flynn I look for them to be a major player in the RGIII sweepstakes.

And the road to that player is through the Rams.

WHAT SAY YE?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Well, I don't really care what Tom Heckert thinks. At the end of the day it is all going to be about what Mike Holmgren wants to do.

And, rest assured, after two years of suffering with the likes of Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace and the immortal Jake Delhomme, he has got to be chomping at the bit to get a young franchise -changing QB in Cleveland.

I believe one of the reasons Holmgren was hired in the first place was because of his reputation as a QB guru, and to FINALLY address the QB position for the first time since Bernie Kosar for crying out loud.

If the Browns do not sign Matt Flynn I look for them to be a major player in the RGIII sweepstakes.

And the road to that player is through the Rams.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Exactly. What are they going to do, throw Colt McCoy back out there? Not like RGIII will be there when they pick. I think theres a slim chance we pick @ 2...whether its the browns making the selection or another team remains up to them.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's nearly always an exercise in futility trying to speculate on draft day trades, but there are a lot of intriguing aspects of this one.

Personally, I don't think the Browns trade up for him, but would gladly select him at #4 if the Dolphins or Redskins don't trade up. I don't think the Dolphins will pull the trigger on the jump from #8 to #2 just based on how many picks it would cost them (at least their 2012-2nd and 2013-1st), but the Redskins might (Snyder's never been one to hang on to draft picks) do it with their 2013-1st to boot. If that happens, there is a possibility the Rams could still get Blackmon: Colts-Luck, Skins-RG3, Vikes-Kalil, Browns-???, Bucs-Claiborne, Rams-Blackmon. So it comes down to the Browns in that scenario.

But here's what I find funny. Let's leave the Dolphins and Skins out of the picture. If the Rams and Browns do not trade: Rams get Blackmon at 2; Browns get RG3 at 4. If the Rams and Browns do trade: Rams get Blackmon at 4; Browns get RG3 at 2.

Now, I'm sure history will show there's been a trade situation somewhere in the past where the trade itself had absolutely no bearing on the personnel of the trade partners......but I can't think of one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

eldfan is offline Registered User

Mel Kiper: Cleveland Browns Will Draft Robert Griffin III
    by Ryan Van Bibber on Jan 19, 2012 4:58 PM CST in 2012 NFL Draft

The NFL trade rumors are heating up already, and the 2012 NFL Draft is still three months away. On Thursday, Mel Kiper of ESPN boldly proclaimed that the Cleveland Browns will draft Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. That could be good news to the St. Louis Rams since the Browns would likely have to trade up in order to land RG3.

Kiper holds out the possibility of the Browns drafting RG3 with their fourth pick, but with other teams, including the Dolphins and the Redskins, also thought the be interested, they may have no choice but to trade up. Kiper notes that the fourth spot would be an attractive one for the Rams since they would likely still be able to draft either USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil or Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon.

The fourth spot would be a fitting place for Blackmon, and Kalil would likely be gone, since he's considered to be the best prospect in the draft behind Andrew Luck and RG3.

Kiper's words carried the ring of inevitability.

I think they've pretty much resolved themselves to the fact they're going to go that route.They're probably going to kick Colt McCoy to the curb. That's what happens to a lot of young quarterbacks that don't have great physical qualifications.

Much could happen between then and now, and Kiper even notes the possibility of the Browns swinging a deal for Packers' backup Matt Flynn.
    :ramlogo:

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Personally I dont see how a trade with Cleveland wont be made for multiple reasons.

1. Cleveland can afford it with the draft picks they received from Atlanta last year.

2. They're in desperate need of a QB who will spark their franchise and RG3 will be the last on the board. Its a pretty steep drop off after him.

3. If they don't trade up, someone will. They might as well do it and get it over with because if not, they will see RG3 go to the Skins or Fins.

4. Wouldn't have to spend as much as other teams since they are only moving up two spots, but will secure the rights to RG3.

Lets get this deal done already!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast