Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KoaKoi

Thread: Browns release QBs Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell

Rambos is offline Registered User

Browns release QBs Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell

Browns release QBs Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell
    By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
    March 12, 2014 4:02 pm ET

The Brandon Weeden era lasted two forgettable seasons. (USATSI) The Brandon Weeden era lasted two forgettable seasons. (USATSI)

In news that should surprise no one -- least of all Brandon Weeden -- the Browns' 2012 first-round pick has been released, the team announced Wednesday. The team's other healthy quarterback -- Jason Campbell -- was also given his walking papers, leaving Brian Hoyer on the roster.

This latest move means that the Browns' two 2012 first-rounders are no longer on the roster (the team traded running back Trent Richardson to Indy last September).

Weeden, 30, never looked like a franchise quarterback, although playing in Cleveland had a lot to do with that. In two seasons he made 20 starts, completed 56 percent of his passes, with 23 touchdowns and 26 interceptions.

And now, the organization is (again) ready to go in another direction.

That could mean trolling the free-agent waters for a veteran quarterback (Matt Schaub could be an option, once he's released by the Texans) or using one of their two first-round picks on a quarterback (Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr may or may not be popular options).

Weeden told the Oklahoman last month that his tenure in Cleveland was one big "roller coaster," and that the constant turnover in the Browns' organization made for a "tough situation."

Now that he's out of Cleveland, Weeden's wants are pretty simple.

“I want to play football,” he said at the time. “I don't care. I just want to play football and be at a place where it's enjoyable and we can compete and win games. That's really what it's all about.”

Weeden will find work as an NFL backup, a proposition he'll almost certainly welcome given what he's been through the two years.

Couple of things Browns really need a QB good news for us in the draft... and what do you guys think about Weeden as a backup for Sam?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Browns release QBs Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell

No I do not want Weeden, he's terrible, and that's an understatement. Brian Hoyer managed to make the Browns look like a wild card team in the AFC and they have substantial talent in that roster.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Actually, I would disagree with Flippin'.

Weeden was asked to do way too much, with much too little.

So I think Weeden would be fine as the Rams 2nd or 3rd stringer, but given his age and lack of experience, it's way too early to scoop him up. He's a plan C or D for when/if camp bodies are needed. There's too much quality in the draft to jump at Weeden early... and besides, there may be other cuts (or dare I say trades?) that will happen in the coming months where a viable backup qb may become available
    ManofGod likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Ehhh, I'd rather have Clemens back than either one of them, at least he knows the system.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'd be fine bringing Weeden in as a camp arm just to see what he has with our personnel. Vinnie's right though, I'd be happy with another Clemens year if we don't luck out with a mid-rounder in the draft.
    I believe!