Bing69 is offline Registered User

Bryan Bulaga, Mike Iupati?...

Right, ive had enough of this Bradford/Suh thing.

Lets say we managed to trade out of the top pick, somewhere after pick 5 onwards. Who would you select?

I personally like the look of Bryan Bulaga. Now i could be wrong, but he looks like a mauler. Perhaps his pass protection is better than his run protection, i dont know that much about him. But imagine shifting him to RT. Our line would be solid for the future with Smith Bell Brown Greco Bulaga. Good core of young players, albeit Bell is 28/29. Two young studs at both Tackles and a pro-bowl calibre Center.

If Bulaga is gone, then Mike Iupati would do nicely.

Im a firm believer in building from the trenches, this would give us a talented O-Line, with a great future.

Imagine now if Colt McCoy was there at 33. We pick him, have a great young line to protect him, and let him grow. Now i know we need more targets TE, WR etc. I would actually be really happy with our draft if something like this came about.

Anyone else agree?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bryan Bulaga, Mike Iupati?...

Even if we're outside the top five, I wouldn't spend our first round pick on a tackle. I'm a strong believer of building from the inside out as well, but we have our long term left tackle and picking a right tackle that early makes no sense. While yes, we'd have great bookends, I feel it would be tying up too much money in the position while also not fulfilling needs as well as they could be.

If we trade out of the top five, I'm looking for help on the defensive line still, probably whichever DE we like best, as opposed to DT or WR in the form of Dez Bryant. It's just too high to be picking a right tackle in my mind.
    I believe!

Flipper336 is offline Registered User

While I agree with you 100% on building a team from the lines out, I just don't think Bulaga and Iupati are the guys to do it with.

Bulaga looks to me to be a RT only, fine for the Rams, but way to early to pick one. Iupati, in my opinion, has way to much to work on technique wise. I love his aggressiveness, but he has almost zero knee bend which causes him to reach and grab. His arms also tend to get outside the frame of the defenders body. Both problems will lead to a ton of holding penalties in the NFL. He dominated in college on strength and tenacity alone. I love his attitude and he has a TON of raw talent. I just don't like him in the first.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Iowa certainly knows how to turn these guys out, but I agree with everyone else's sentiments, in that our OL is not something we should be addressing in the first round this year.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Our O-line is good enough as is compared to the rest of the roster that the 1st should really go to a weaker area: That being every other part of the roster. Really the line won't be bad at all if it stays healthy, and turning a good o-line into a great one is tantalizing, too many areas just plain don't have NFL starting players at them to ignore and upgrade a position that isn't as dire.

msha is offline Registered User

a couple players I would consider would be Derrick Morgan, maybe Eric Berry if they don't want Atogwe for some reason, or Clausen if need be, but Morgan would be my front runner

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I don't think it is very optimal for us to draft an O-linemen with the first round pick of this draft. I don't think that's what we're looking for in this year's draft.

Devaney even stated that in this draft, we are going to look for big time players. Players that can score points from far away, players that can sack the QB, and players that can provide a spark, and so on.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Could work, he projects as a RT and we do have a need there currently, however I think with the #5-7 pick, we have to draft the BPA.