Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bucs GM Dominik acknowledges trading up as a possibility

Dominik says Bucs are ready to trade up, or to trade down
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2010 8:46 AM ET

In what appears to be yet another effort to persuade the media and the fan base that the Buccaneers aren't even cheaper than one of the teams that played a fairly important game in Raymond James Stadium twelve months ago (yeah, it would have been a lot easier to just say "the Cardinals"), G.M. Mark Dominik told Steve Duemig of WDAE radio on Monday that the team is prepared to trade up in the draft. (Via JoeBucsFan.com.)

The Buccaneers currently hold the third pick in the draft. A trade up would mean that they want one of the premier defensive tackles -- Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy.

Of course, he also said that the team is prepared to trade down, and that's the far more likely direction. Even though it would result in more draft picks and thus more contracts to be given to first-year players, the cumulative cost of the deal given to the lower pick in round one and the other picks they acquire will be less than the cost of signing the third pick.

Trading down could make a lot of sense, given the number of top-ten teams that need a quarterback. The Bucs aren't one of them, so they could hold an auction for the ability to pick Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen, with the Redskins, Browns, and Seahawks all potentially in the bidding.

Such a maneuver would fit with Dominik's vow to build through the draft, which generally entails far less money than searching for a big-money free agent who might come in an propel the Buccaneers back to the top of the division, the conference, and/or the league.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Bucs GM Dominik acknowledges trading up as a possibility

Sound promising, I am starting to like the idea of trading down. I hope we get at least an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick if we do.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Sound promising, I am starting to like the idea of trading down. I hope we get at least an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick if we do.
    my question to you is what would we do with the third pick? if both dt's are more than likely gone who would be target? berry? we got OJ lol not sure I'd no what to do with the exception of Bradford if he checks out...

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    my question to you is what would we do with the third pick? if both dt's are more than likely gone who would be target? berry? we got OJ lol not sure I'd no what to do with the exception of Bradford if he checks out...
    If I were in charge I would take clausen, but if you dont want a QB besides Bradford, I guess Derick Morgan or Joe Haden. I would really like to upgrade our secondary or D-line.

TheRammer Guest

If I were in charge I would take clausen, but if you dont want a QB besides Bradford, I guess Derick Morgan or Joe Haden. I would really like to upgrade our secondary or D-line.
    Ya I'm liking Haden alot to... we've never had a true shut down corner in a long time...
    Last edited by Nick; -02-16-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: PM a mod if you think the link is worthy enough to be an exception to a rule you know you're breaking.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

imo there is absolutely no good reason to trade down unless we get a QB. Why pass on the best defensive player in the draft to get another defensive player? I understand you get another pick, but kinda defeats the purpose i thought....

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    imo there is absolutely no good reason to trade down unless we get a QB. Why pass on the best defensive player in the draft to get another defensive player? I understand you get another pick, but kinda defeats the purpose i thought....
    thats dumb, lol...

if you could get haden and pierre-paul or suh I know I rather have 2 starters......

no doubt about it

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    thats dumb, lol...

if you could get haden and pierre-paul or suh I know I rather have 2 starters......

no doubt about it
    That presumes the former two are actual long-term starters and not massive projects.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

What i meant was, Why pass on Suh at number 1, if your just going to trade down and get a different, lesser, defensive player like Haden (Pierre Paul=massive project and reeks of bust), then it simply defeats the purpose of trading down IMO. You get an extra pick sure but you just past on the best player in the draft so you can get another second rounder and a different, not as good defensive player. If there is a tradedown you get your quarterback IMO.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

This has been stated on here more than a few times, but I honestly believe the Rams try to trade down only if they really feel they want an QB. Otherwise, it would be tough to justify trading down just to pick a lesser defensive player unless Tampa's offer was just too good to pass up. I doubt they offer that kind of package though, as they are a rebuilding team as well.

EDIT: I didn't see the last two posts before my post loaded, so it sounds a little repetitive
    Last edited by AtlantaRamFan; -02-16-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    thats dumb, lol...

no doubt about it
    If the trade is moving down for Tampa's #3 pick and one of their second rounders, the Rams won't have a shot at both of those guys. They're both likely gone in the Top 15 or Top 20.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!