Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nick

Thread: Bucs release G Davin Joseph

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Bucs release G Davin Joseph

This is going to help lower Saffold's value, especially to teams looking for a guard, as will a deep draft at OT.

Joseph was due to make $6 million in 2014 at age 30.

The Bucs tried to trade Joseph and apparently got no takers, due to his salary the next four years.

Joseph missed the 2012 season, but started every game last year, and definitely has been a better player than Saffold, even after Joseph took a lot of heat for his play during a miserable season in Tampa.

Perhaps a new start and annother year past that injury, will return him to Pro Bowl form.

Barry Waller

Mikey is online now Registered User

Re: Bucs release G Davin Joseph

We have more than enough OLinemen in their 30's, even if he is just 30, who get paid a lot of money and are very capable of missing time to injuries.

Dahl probably won't be back, so really the only "old" (30 not EVEN old for a OL), guy would be Wells on the entire roster of OL, and he is not 100% safe..

I suppose you don't want Saffold back either, since he has missed way more games than Joseph, whose injury was in July 2012, and he didn't miss a game last year despite a bad infection problem.

Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water, just isn't true, and EXACTLY what this team needs is a few 30 year old guys to help groom these very young starters, especially at CB ,S, WR, and RB..
    Barry Waller

Willie Roaf was 31 when he went from N.O. to KC, and he starred for 4 more years in KC. Also he had a bad knee and was thought to be done in N.O.
    Barry Waller

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Willie Roaf was 31 when he went from N.O. to KC, and he starred for 4 more years in KC. Also he had a bad knee and was thought to be done in N.O.
    Willie Roaf missed 7 games the year before he moved to KC. He'd also only missed one game in the previous 8 years and was a perennial pro bowler and is now a Hall of Famer. Are you actually trying to compare anybody on the Rams line to Roaf? When he went to KC he did have three healthy years only to be bothered by injuries his last year before retiring.

As for Saffold I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 or 3 million a year to come back. He's unreliable, though he is a decent player. I definitely don't think he's the answer to our OLine issues if we cut Dahl and or Wells and can't sign another Guard.

31 year old Willie Colon played well for the Jets after being signed away from the Steelers.
    31 year old Evan Mathis came to the Eagles in 2011, and he was rated the second best guard in the NFL by Bleacher Report on March 6th.
    Barry Waller

If you think $2 -$3 million for Saffold, basically BACKUP money these days, he's gone.

The cost to replace him will be far higher, unless you hit on a mid rounder.
    Barry Waller

Doesn't matter that Roaf didn't miss games till a really bad knee inhury and arthritis made the Saints think he was done. He never was 100% healthy again, but was still great.
    Barry Waller

You must be one of those "anyone can play O-line" guys that get QBs killed and ***** about SHotty's "scheme"

Look at the roster of Seattle and SF, and you see HIGH draft picks all over that O-line.

The Rams have to fill both guard positions, and maybe right tackle, plus a fill in for Long early perhaps, amd who knows if Wells will be here in 2015.

You can't fill those holes with $2 million players, not if you want to compete with Seattle, Pamnthers, Cardinals, and Niners pass rush.
    Barry Waller

rammiser is offline Registered User

The problem with Saffold is himself and his agent both think he is a top tier left tackle. I actually think he is a better gaurd just like Fisher thinks. Go watch the games Saffold was playing gaurd he was mauling people. At left tackle he isnt quite as effective, i can't put my finger on why but he just wasnt. Not to mention he is a injury risk and tying up a lot of money in him to play a position not even our coach thinks he can play would be a waste.
    Just Fix It

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    As for Saffold I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 or 3 million a year to come back. He's unreliable, though he is a decent player. I definitely don't think he's the answer to our OLine issues if we cut Dahl and or Wells and can't sign another Guard.
    In other words, "get to stepping Rodger, your services are no longer needed around here!"

I personally disagree, and I'm glad Fisher does too.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    You must be one of those "anyone can play O-line" guys that get QBs killed and ***** about SHotty's "scheme"

Look at the roster of Seattle and SF, and you see HIGH draft picks all over that O-line.

The Rams have to fill both guard positions, and maybe right tackle, plus a fill in for Long early perhaps, amd who knows if Wells will be here in 2015.

You can't fill those holes with $2 million players, not if you want to compete with Seattle, Pamnthers, Cardinals, and Niners pass rush.
    Actually I'm the complete opposite. I'm one of the loudest at arguing for drafting OLine at #2. I also think we should take a G in the 2nd round. It's the thought process that we can patch up the online with random veteran free agents instead of drafting and developing for the line that gets QB's killed. Not sure how you can think because I don't want to sign a couple free agents means I don't want the OLine addressed.

Saffold is a good guard. He's a decent tackle. But with his injury history I wouldn't shell out the money it is likely going to cost to retain him. I don't see the reward there for the risk it would take to sign a similar guard without the injury history. The Rams have with prior regimes shelled out money for 30 year old free agents and it hasn't had much success. Look at Wells and Dahl right now. Decent their first years with us second and third years injury problems and reduced play.

And by all means keep trotting out those random cases of 30 year old's suddenly playing healthy after having some injury problems. Hoping you get those and not the ones that deteriorate and find themselves out of the NFL is what's gonna get your QB killed and your RB hit two yards in the backfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    In other words, "get to stepping Rodger, your services are no longer needed around here!"

I personally disagree, and I'm glad Fisher does too.
    He's been a decent lineman for us for a few years. If he could have stayed healthy we likely wouldn't have signed Jake Long. If he could stay healthy I'd be all for resigning him. I also argued last year that for the money they received we were better off with out SJax and Amendola. You cannot build a champion by throwing money on injury prone and aging veterans. There are very few exceptions to that in the recent NFL past.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

At 30 and passed over by all other teams I may sign him, but not for much.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't really think Davin Joseph's availability has much effect on Rodger Saffold's value. All accounts I've seen are that Joseph looked pretty poor coming back from injury last year, despite saying his knee was stronger than it has ever been. I have a hard time seeing any team give Joseph anything more than a cheap, short term "prove it" contract. Two different markets, IMO.

If I'm the Rams, I'd think about making a minimal contract offer to bring him to OTAs and camp to kick the tires, but I don't see how you could sign him and then honestly check "guard" off the list of things that we need to address before next year.
    chiguy and Rammed like this.