larams1980 is offline Registered User

Bulger Trade talk

Bernie opened up his radio show today (101 ESPN) by saying that the Rams have made calls, and taken calls regarding a trade for Marc Bulger in the past several days. Bernie said one of the teams calling to inquire was the Jets.

Bernie went on to say a trade is most likely not going to happen due to the large cap hit the Rams would take (11 Million Dollars in 2009). But should add fuel to the fire. Or smoke?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger Trade talk

The Rams would probably field talks for anyone, but S-JAX, Long, Bartell, and Brown. It definately doesn't mean anything is going to happen. Millions of proposed trades go on behind the scenes, but if you look at the talk compared to actual trades, there is substantially more talk than trades.

richtree is offline Registered User

Just wondering if the Jets took Bulger in a trade would we be free of the cap hit ?

or would we still have his salary against our cap room?

or could this be worked out in his contract during the trade ? etc ?

I wouldn't be against this because I agree that Sanchez is a great fit for our team,

but the reason I keep saying no to this notion is that we gain a QB but don't strenghten our defensive or offensive front.

The outcome is a young QB with an unfinished OL and the same DEfensvie front with only a 2nd round pick of value to fix all 3 of our problems

example.

Bulger to jets

Sanchez picked #2

round 2 rams still need OT, LB, WR#2, and a DT of sorts ?

This is so tuff because Sanchez looks great and fits perfect in our dome and but will set the team back one year and frustrate current teammates and possible free agents.

All and all Bulger will probably be here anyway and taking Sanchez with Bulger here will cause an uproar, lol.

Either way you have to love what management has done so far causing a nice stir for the future !

Go Rams !

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Richtree, what about factoring in what we'd get for Bulger? Be it a draft pick or a veteran, I'm sure it would fill one of those holes.

But yeah, like 39thebeast said, there's always more talk than trades.

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Bulger will not be traded, we simply cant afford to do it.

Its to get teams thinking we could pick Sanchez, This will test the water and we will soon see which teams really want him and how desperate they are to get him.

Bulger will lead the Rams next season, end of.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What a load of donkey dung.

Just another reason to hate Bernie.

Number 482, by my count.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Just wondering if the Jets took Bulger in a trade would we be free of the cap hit ?

or would we still have his salary against our cap room?

or could this be worked out in his contract during the trade ? etc ?
    The Rams would not be free of the cap hit if they trade Bulger. They would take a larger cap hit by trading him than keeping him.

When an NFL player signs a contract, the signing bonus money is spread out over the length of the deal in terms of cap cost. So if I signed you to a five year $30 million contract w/ $10 million in signing bonus, I would have to spread the cap cost of that $10 million over the five-year deal (aka $2 million per year).

If I cut you in year three, I have to count the spread-out bonus money from years four and five against my year three cap. So my cap hit for cutting you in year three would be $6 million ($2 million bonus charge from year 3, and $4 million total in pro-rated bonuses from year four and five).

If the Rams cut or traded Marc Bulger, they'd take all of his pro-rated bonus money spread out through the remainder of his contract, and they'd have to count it against the 2009 cap. That money gets accelerated to this year. Sometimes when you do that, you end up saving money because you're clearing a high salary off the books and the accelerated bonus money is minimal.

That's not the case with Bulger because it's so early in his new deal; the Rams would actually have to have more of their cap set aside for Bulger's cap hit if they move him versus if they keep him. It's less expensive against the cap to keep him than it would be to cut or trade him.

EDIT: By the way, Bernie mentioned this on his forum as well. Here's the thread:

- John Shaw is in the house. He will be in the Draft Room along with Chip Rosenbloom and presumably Lucia Rodriguez.

- For all of the paranoids ... Yes, "The Shaw Factor" is now in play!!!

- Will the draft board be changed?

- Rosenbloom meeting with Spags and Devaney this afternoon.

- Jason Smith appears to be the guy ... opinion has shifted from Monroe to Smith. Can't say for sure. I can't rule Monroe out. But looks like Smith. They'll make the pragmatic choice despite their enthusiasm over Sanchez.

- They have received a couple of calls on Bulger, especially from the Jets... the Rams looked for ways to get around the cap hit that would smack them if they trade Bulger. But there's no way out of it. So they will keep Bulger and hope for a miracle revival. Bulger is definitely here for '09. Had they been able to move him, Sanchez would have been the pick. But it never got very far. it was a non-starter because of the cap hit.

-B
    Last edited by Nick; -04-24-2009 at 06:26 PM.