Thread: Butler "update"

shower beers is offline Registered User

Butler "update"

Per rotoworld, who cites St. Louis Dispatch:

The Rams are reportedly offering free agent S James Butler "significantly less" than what Yeremiah Bell and Gibril Wilson got from Miami.
    St. Louis smartly isn't willing to overpay the former undrafted free agent. Wilson and Bell's deals average about $5 million annually. No other teams have strongly jumped into the Butler bidding, so the Rams may still land him.

A little tidbit to hold you all over. I'm sure you're ready for an update, just as much as I am.

Also, Brett Romberg just signed with the Falcons.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Re: Butler "update"

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I'm sure once we get more cap room we will give him more than 5 mill. What exactly is is asking for? Per Year? Guaranteed money?
    I'm pretty sure only Rams FO would know that. We'll just have to wait and see what he ends up signing for.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm sure once we get more cap room we will give him more than 5 mill. What exactly is is asking for? Per Year? Guaranteed money?
    I bet we don't. It's not like Butler is a rock star. He was serviceable in NY, but was set to be replaced this year by Phillips. Add Kevin & Carl to the mix, and I would not offer him top dollar. He's not Wilson. He's not Bell. Why should the Rams have to pay him like he is?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I bet we don't. It's not like Butler is a rock star. He was serviceable in NY, but was set to be replaced this year by Phillips. Add Kevin & Carl to the mix, and I would not offer him top dollar. He's not Wilson. He's not Bell. Why should the Rams have to pay him like he is?

This is what I was thinking, i mean is he really that hoss that we just cant give up on him or have to offer him that type of money?..if so why havent the Giants kept it set on trying to keep him?..im sure the biggest concern is, if we dont get him then we have an undeveloped or not good enough player to fill that position..which gives us another void to fill..

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If we have to pay too much for him, I would rather just grab a rookie from the draft. It's not like Butler is a pro bowler.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Yep grab 1 from the draft, will see if Butler can get his asking price from the CFL.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Is Gibril wilson or yerimiah Bell really that much better than James? I don't want to overspend for anybody.. but we really do need him. as of now our number 1 SS is Ted Johnson. that aint gonna work.
    Yea, I think they probably are noticeably better than Butler, which is to say if those three were on the Rams roster, Butler would be 3rd string.

And no, Todd (not Ted) Johnson is not the ideal choice for the long-term, maybe not even the short-term. Butler would be an improvement; but not worth caving in to the Postons' silly demands and beyond reality comparisons of their client to others.

Hold your ground, Billy. If Butler takes your offer, good. If he doesn't, so be it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod