richtree is offline Registered User

Cam Newton's media day today at 1pm

Auburn QB Cam Newton's controversial "media day" workout will begin at 1PM ET Thursday at Cathedral Catholic High School (SD).

The invitation to media personnel explained that the workout will "provide a snapshot of Camís daily training regimen and routine as he prepares for his NFL career." Afterwards, he'll be "briefly available" for "some questions." The workout has been heavily criticized in the scouting community, in part because it's seen as a publicity grab and in part because no scouts are allowed to attend.

THE RAMS WANT CAM TO PERFORM WELL ON ALL ACCOUNTS SO THAT JULIO JONES OR ANOTHER PLAYER CAN SLIP DOWN TO OUR PICK. IF BOTH GABBARD AND NEWTON GO EARLY OUR CHANCES INCREASE TREMENDOUSLY, ESPECIALLY WITH THOSE TEAMS NEEDING WRS ALSO.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Cam Newton's media day today at 1pm

Per rotoworld:

Newton workout was 'phenominal'
    According to ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, Auburn QB Cam Newton's media day workout Thursday was "phenomenal."
    "If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer. Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns will still be scrutinized over the next two months.
    Huge for us. I felt your concerns richtree. This is great news indeed for the Rams! Keep it up Cam, also Blaine have a nice showing at the combine please!

richtree is offline Registered User

Dilfer stated it was one of the best individual workouts he has ever seen. Newton made a huge impact on everyone there. Seems good for the Rams !!!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Dilfer stated it was one of the best individual workouts he has ever seen. Newton made a huge impact on everyone there. Seems good for the Rams !!!
    Oh god....Dilfer said that? The same Trent Dilfer that said Sam Bradford was going to be a bust, and that Jimmy Clausen was gonna be good? Hate that dude.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Not like dilfer knows what it takes to be a good QB anyway. He rode the back of Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis to the superbowl.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Oh god....Dilfer said that? The same Trent Dilfer that said Sam Bradford was going to be a bust, and that Jimmy Clausen was gonna be good? Hate that dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Not like dilfer knows what it takes to be a good QB anyway. He rode the back of Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis to the superbowl.
    The problem isn't who the statement is coming from, but rather the statement itself.

Some Rams fans like to make Dilfer a punching bag because he liked Clausen better than Bradford, but unlike some other well respected names who shared that opinion, Dilfer's at least had the courage to come out and admit he was wrong about it. I don't get the approach of completely dismissing anything a 13-year and 130 game veteran has to say because he was wrong once or because he wasn't Peyton Manning, but to each their own.

Rather, the problem with the statement is the statement itself. It seems just about every year, some quarterback puts on "the best workout ___________ has ever seen." Alex Smith did it. JaMarcus Russell did it. Matthew Stafford did it. And yes, Sam Bradford did it. This is probably because, as a quarterback, putting on one of these very controlled, very scripted workouts isn't exactly a huge challenge for talented prospects.

Scouts are miffed they weren't invited, and will be even more miffed if/when Newton elects not to throw at the Combine. But that's the way the top QBs go, nowadays. Instead of throwing at the Senior Bowl or the Combine to prospects from around the country that they have no timing with, and thus risking having their balls appear to look off target, they hold out and throw in a controlled environment in a workout that's comfortable to them to try and maximize their chances of helping their stock.

Perhaps the bigger news about Newton isn't necessarily the review of this workout, but rather something pointed out by SI's Tony Pauline: apparently at least six different teams said as of last week that they believed Newton was the number one prospect in the draft, an opinion comprised by scouts, personnel directors and a few coaches of these organizations. Barring glaring maturity issues or a huge trip-up this offseason, Newton is unlikely to escape the top ten, maybe even the top five.

And as richtree said, hopefully that will help push a good prospect down and improve the Rams' chances of landing one of their targets.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'm still not impressed by Newton, I don't think he is NFL QB material. Sure he can keep his eyes downfield when there is absolutely no one even pretending to move in his general direction. Can he keep his eyes downfield when the pocket collapses is the real question. Running QBs do not fair well in general in the NFL. They can do ok, but a QBs greatest success comes when they learn how to stay in the pocket and deliver a strike downfield, only running when it is a last resort, not when your #1 guy is covered and eh, screw #2 I'm taking it. I would expect Newton to have this problem, Vick had it and he was a below average QB for some time because of it.

As far as Dilfer is concerned, he didn't just prefer Clausen. He said Bradford was an absolute disaster waiting to happen, and basically said he would be the biggest mistake of the draft if the Rams took him. That's not just whiffing on who was actually better, that is whiffing on a QB prospect entirely. I've never entirely agreed with Dilfer's analysis pretty much ever, and take most of what he says with a grain of salt. I will give him credit for admitting he was wrong on Bradford, but I still just don't usually like what he has to say.