Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

***** came away impressed with OT Andre Smith at pro day

Forget the combine, scouts like Alabama's Smith
    John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Thursday, March 12, 2009

(03-12) 18:38 PDT -- Although Alabama tackle Andre Smith was definitely getting "jiggly" with it when he ran his 40-yard dash shirtless in his pro day workout, the ***** nevertheless came away with a positive opinion about this potential draft pick on April 25.

The word from San Francisco's scouting department on the 325-pound Smith? "Impressed."

That's not easy to do for someone who showed up at the NFL combine last month out of shape and announced he would not be working out, and then left Indianapolis the next day without informing anyone.

Smith is one of several ***** points of discussion as the team gets ready to begin its offseason workout program Monday.

On the veteran side of things, the ***** do not have any interest in former All-Pro left tackle Orlando Pace, recently released by the Rams. The 12-year veteran has been injured much of the last two seasons.

The ***** might be interested in another Ram, however, in wide receiver Torry Holt, provided he is released as expected next week. It would have to be at the right price for the ***** to make a move on Holt.

While there are Internet rumors out there that the ***** would be interested in talking trade with Denver for quarterback Jay Cutler, that's all they are - rumors. The ***** are not interested in Cutler.

Getting back to Smith: For his pro day in Tuscaloosa on Wednesday, he unwisely chose to run his 40 shirtless, causing a sort of "torso tsunami" with his shapeless build. He's the opposite of the "ripped" athletic specimen.

All that means little in helmet and pads, however, and Smith is still regarded as a first-round talent, although surely the third tackle now behind Baylor's Justin Smith and Virginia's Eugene Monroe. Smith is known to have a nasty disposition on the field, which might endear him to coach Mike Singletary nearly as much as his apparent devout Christian faith.

The *****, drafting 10th on April 25th, might see his name still available on the draft board. They need a right tackle as the team looks to upgrade a position manned by Jonas Jennings, Adam Snyder and Barry Sims the last two seasons. Smith was named the Outland Trophy winner for 2008, emblematic of college football's best lineman.

Monday marks the start of San Francisco's offseason workout program and thus the beginning of Singletary's first full season as head coach. Meetings and individual workouts take up much of the week before the team gathers for a two-day minicamp on Friday and Saturday, with one practice each day.

The NFL allows teams with new head coaches to schedule an additional "voluntary" minicamp in addition to a mandatory camp following the draft.

Thus, Shaun Hill and Alex Smith begin their battle for the starting quarterback job in those two practices a week from Friday and Saturday. Thirteen-year veteran Damon Huard is the third wheel.

In preparation for the draft, the ***** will have their scouts "all over the country" attending various pro days on college campuses. That included Thursday in Morgantown, W. Va., for the workout of West Virginia quarterback Pat White.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: ***** came away impressed with OT Andre Smith at pro day

He did not look like a physical specimen to me.
    When is the last time you saw a set of boobs like that on a guy?

Warning clicking on the picture could become visually impairing!!!!
    ***** came away impressed with OT Andre Smith at pro day-andre-smith.jpg

I hope they get him, I think he will wind up being a bust from lack of discipline.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-13-2009 at 01:29 AM.

rams#1 Guest

That figures that a team like the ***** would like this guy.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why not like him? He was the Outland Trophy winner. He did play in the SEC. He was All SEC for two years. Yea, Orlando Pace was the epitome of body sculpture wasn't he?

Man people, nevermind.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Forget the combine, scouts like Alabama's Smith
    John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Thursday, March 12, 2009

The ***** might be interested in another Ram, however, in wide receiver Torry Holt, provided he is released as expected next week. It would have to be at the right price for the ***** to make a move on Holt.
    Shoot me now Holt and Bruce with the ***** oh my.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Why not like him?
    Really? Even as someone who thinks his pro day testing results have been overblown, and even as someone who thinks Smith may be the most talented offensive lineman in this class, I think there are a number of reasons why NFL teams may not like this guy.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Good Pro Day or not, his character really concerns me. He had one incident before there bowl game, that doesn't bother me as much as him just leaving the Combine and not letting anyone know.

He may turn into a Pro Bowl, dynamite player. But I don't want to risk what he could do at the #2 pick. Come Round 2, and he's still there, absolutely snag him. It'll be the BPA most likely and give us another tackle, but his risk as it seems is much to high for us to gamble on. And he really doesn't seem as if he's the type of player Spagnuolo and Deavany are looking for.
    RamsFan16

Ok, here's what I don't understand. If you are worried about his "character" in Round 1 why not even in Round 7?

Nick, the boy can play. I don't give a rat's arse about his combine or pro day. Those things are way overblown. Watch the tape of his play on the field. That's what impressed me about him. Now everyone is going to use the Tennessee game that he got beat on by the DE, but maybe he had a bad day. Heck, even KURT WARNER has bad days. He's a talented player.

You know what? I hope he drops to 13, Washington takes him, and he's a perennial pro bowl player and that the OT's drafted ahead of him tank so that he can prove that this combine/pro day stuff is nothing but scouts fodder. (that is if the Rams take Curry or Crabtree).

Ok, here's what I don't understand. If you are worried about his "character" in Round 1 why not even in Round 7?
    If I had to guess, I'd say there are definitely some teams concerned with Smith's character enough that he's off their board completely. But I think there are some teams in the 10-20 range if not higher who may be inclined to take a chance on him, hoping they can keep a fire lit under him, in order to get the most out of that talent.

I also think the concern with Smith in the high part of the first round is about the money you would have to pay him at the top of the round. You're likely talking about $25 million guaranteed if not more with our first round pick, for instance. That's a lot of money to someone you have concerns about. Whereas even in the middle of the first, the contracts aren't huge, and you're more willing to take the risk because of that smaller contract size.

Nick, the boy can play. I don't give a rat's arse about his combine or pro day. Those things are way overblown. Watch the tape of his play on the field. That's what impressed me about him. Now everyone is going to use the Tennessee game that he got beat on by the DE, but maybe he had a bad day. Heck, even KURT WARNER has bad days. He's a talented player.
    I agree that Smith can play. That's why I referred to myself in my last post as someone who thinks Smith may be the most talented offensive lineman in this class. When he's playing at the top of his game, it's tough to find a better lineman. But when you're talking about tens of millions of dollars, you want the safest investment. And IMO, Smith has red flags when it comes to maturity, work ethic, and motivation.

For instance, I think it's impressive that during this offseason process Smith has continued to lose weight. But I suspect he's done it because he knows how much money is at stake, the same way other players train specifically for the combine drills. I think it's important to look back not just at Smith's game film but what his experiences were in college, and there were times when he ballooned up to 370-380 pounds. So I would imagine some teams are concerned that, once Smith has earned his big rookie contract, his motivation may deteriorate a bit and he might not control his weight.

You know what? I hope he drops to 13, Washington takes him, and he's a perennial pro bowl player and that the OT's drafted ahead of him tank so that he can prove that this combine/pro day stuff is nothing but scouts fodder. (that is if the Rams take Curry or Crabtree).
    Well, I'm glad you ended your hope by saying that you only hope the OTs fail provided we don't take one. But I still think we will, so I think we can both agree that we hope that one succeeds.

But I think in the right environment and with the right coaching staff, Smith is going to be a heck of a player at the next level. He would be a heck of a guy to have at right tackle making devastating blocks in the running game, or even inside at guard where he can use that size and ability to just open holes right in the middle of the line.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

With all the talks of "character" issues, I keep wanting to go search for articles about Andre Smith getting busted with cocaine, beating his girlfriend, molesting a goat in public, but, hmmm, I just don't find anything...

He's a young "dumb" kid taking advice from the wrong people, as alot of dumb kids do. I don't think it's time to lump him in with some of these others that come out with real "character" issues ...

As for him being a physical specimen, come on now, we're talking an offensive lineman here ...

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

I still don't think people should be ruling him out as a LT

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I would not rule him out being a Probowler But I also would not rule him out being a total bust. He is a very risky first and even early second round pick. IMO their are more players that you can project as safer picks that should not be busts. He projects as very good to very bad. I dont think he is that strong and the competition he faced in college is nothing compared to what he will face in the NFL. When they get to the NFL they have to work year around every year to improve and I am not sure that he is not one of those players that got by in college on talent more then work ethic. I would probably draft him in round 2 because every round that goes by you can afford to take a little more risk IMO because the other players you draft at those positions have a lower projected ceiling which makes the risk more worth taking.

bigredman is offline Registered User

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    He is a very risky first and even early second round pick. IMO their are more players that you can project as safer picks that should not be busts.
    I personally believe he is one of the safest picks in the draft to get very good production, but maybe not for the value we would have to pay at #2. Because of his size and strength, if he busts at LT he could easily slide in at guard and be a powerful run blocker there.

He's the best run blocking OT in this draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast