Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: ***** came away impressed with OT Andre Smith at pro day

It's probably true that he's the best run blocker in the draft, but the concerns about his agility, his performance against speed rushers (or maybe just Ayers), etc. are legitimate. This might mean that he'd be the best right tackle in the draft but not as suited for protecting the quarterback's blindside.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Anyway, Tx, I guarantee you that Pace NEVER looked like the fatty that Smith did the other day. The guy seriously needed either a bra, some duct tape, or probably best, an advance from his agent to get some darn liposuction.

The only thing I could think while watching the coverage of Smith's pro day was "How did they get every one to believe that fat guy is Andre Smith?" He looked horrid, and he performed horribly in all the stats testing. Now, in the position drills he was better, but I still am very wary of him, and would be if I was in the top half of the first round. Now, Washington might very well take him, as lord knows they could use some young tackles, especially one who can man the left side. And there's no doubt in my mind that if he wanted to be, Andre Smith could easily be the best tackle in the draft. He's certainly the most gifted one.

Now, therein lies the rub. When he wants to be. Tx and Infiniti, you might ask about the character issues, and no, he has no criminal record, but there are character issues staring us right in the face none the less, and that is why his stock has dropped. Yes, any kid who is out of his element, and there's few things that lift someone out of their element more than moving from college to professional sports, can follow bad advice. And they can pick bad people to listen to. His agent, whoever he is is certainly up right along side Andre for bonehead of the year so far. But to get back on track, Andre Smith has one huge character flaw: He obviously does not love the game and does not have a burning competitive spirit. If he did, he never would have let himself get this way. He'd have laid off the chicken wings for a couple nights a week and he'd keep himself in top shape, the way that he should be. Right now he looks discusting. The only position I could possibly imagine looking like that would be 350 pound DT's. Absolutely not one of the most athletic positions in the game, LT. I mean, if he can't get that competitive fire burning when the motivation is at it's peak, being the top rated tackle in college ball, winning the Outland Trophy, and possibly getting upwards of $30 MILLION guaranteed to be the first pick in the draft, when will he be motivated? Yes, on the field he performs great, but will he do that after getting paid? Will he do that when his team is 7-5 and needs a late 4th quarter rally to keep their playoff hopes alive? Will he be an all pro tackle like he could be when his team is 2-6? That's my issue with Andre Smith... I just don't know. And not knowing that he'll play with any heart at all, little lone go all out for my team for 16 weeks drops him out of my top 10.

P.S. I hate when I'm almost done with my posts and something happens and I lose them.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    I personally believe he is one of the safest picks in the draft to get very good production, but maybe not for the value we would have to pay at #2. Because of his size and strength, if he busts at LT he could easily slide in at guard and be a powerful run blocker there.
    Thats probably what Green Bay said when they took Tony Mandrich 2nd overall in 1989. He looked like he dominated the college competition and it never translated to the field. He was not a very grounded individual. What I am saying is there are a lot of guys that dominate against college competition that don't make them good NFL players. Look at Jimmy Kennedy he looked dominate in college. What makes them good at the next level is their attitude, desire to be thier best, and work ethic. Right now I question all three of those things about Andre Smith and I disagree that at the least he will be a good Guard. If he don't show those three qualities mentioned he will be a bust no doubt about it.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I don't think he'll make it past the 13th pick or into the 2nd round but I'd want the Rams to take him in the 2nd round if available.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

There are no Substitutes for attitude and work ethic.

Can you imagine this guy after he signs a Big Contract?

Alex Barron has as much talent as any of the guys in this class, but he
    lacking in other areas - like Drive, effort, motivation, and attitude.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Anyway, Tx, I guarantee you that Pace NEVER looked like the fatty that Smith did the other day. The guy seriously needed either a bra, some duct tape, or probably best, an advance from his agent to get some darn liposuction.
    Can you say Manssiere?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Can you say Outland Trophy winner? Two time All S E C! The S E C! I'll take Andre Smith any day and twice on Sunday, especially if we need a run blocking OT which I think is on our radar.

Believe me J Smith got SMOKED against Brian Orakpo (saw it myself) and Eugene Monroe got SMOKED against USC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12