Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can we find another sucker to trade down the #2 pick ?

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Can we find another sucker to trade down the #2 pick ?

The RG 2.1 trade worked beautifully, but can we find another sucker to reach for another QB bust this year ? Thinking that somewhere in the top 9 Offensive Tackles is one just as good as Jake Mathews so trading down seems like a no brainer. Has anyone come to the conclusion any of these other OTs would be just as good as Mathews ?

1. Jake Matthews | 6'5, 305 pounds | Offensive tackle | Texas A&M
    2. Cyrus Kouandjio | 6'5, 312 pounds | Offensive tackle | Alabama *
    3. Taylor Lewan | 6'7, 310 pounds | Offensive tackle | Michigan
    4. Antonio Richardson | 6'6, 332 pounds | Offensive tackle | Tennessee *
    5. Cedric Ogbuehi | 6'5, 300 pounds | Offensive tackle | Texas A&M *
    6. James Hurst | 6'7, 305 pounds | Offensive tackle | North Carolina
    7. La'el Collins | 6'5, 315 pounds | Offensive tackle | LSU *
    8. Cameron Erving | 6'6, 320 pounds | Offensive tackle | Florida State *
    9. Brandon Scherff | 6'5, 315 pounds | Offensive tackle | Iowa *
    gap likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: Can we find another sucker to trade down the #2 pick ?

Just the title had me LOL.

I don't have a clue about the OTs coming out of the Draft, but I have heard that the Texans are shopping the #1. That will make the #2 less valuable, until a team misses out on the #1 trade.

gap

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I really don't think you can label RGIII a bust just yet.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Who really knows if any are as good are even better than Mathews? It'll probably just depend on what you like.

One thing is likely to be the case however, there'll be at least one that's good enough to plug in and not worry about, which is the objective as far as I'm concerned.

punahou is online now Registered User

"...The RG 2.1 trade worked beautifully, but can we find another sucker to reach for another QB bust this year ?..."

RG3 a bust? and Sam Bradford is not? 2yrs yields 1 div title and a playoff berth that led to a busted knee that Washington rushed his recovery so he could come back where he left off.... vs every season no playoff berths, and sub 500 seasons?

and yet many here are so supportive of Sam.
    Last edited by punahou; -01-06-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Randart is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    "...The RG 2.1 trade worked beautifully, but can we find another sucker to reach for another QB bust this year ?..."

RG3 a bust? and Sam Bradford is not? 2yrs yields 1 div title and a playoff berth that led to a busted knee that Washington rushed his recovery so he could come back where he left off.... vs every season no playoff berths, and sub 500 seasons?

and yet many here are so supportive of Sam.
    I am hugely supportive of Slingin' Sammy Bradford, as are many as you stated. And if both RG the third and Sam are healthy I take Sammy any day in the week brah. I lived in Laie' for a year once surfin' and hangin' with friends, was allot of primo time! LOL

I believe RG cubed was successful due to a better roster that first year not because he is a superior player. He may never again come close to what he did that first season where as I believe Sam when returned to full health will have a better career. I know just conjecture on my part but what I trully believe. I do believe they both could be coached up big time, not sure either guy pays enough attention to this aspect but I am hopeful Sam will improve even more than he did last season. Both guys stare down recievers etc... but they are yet young so improvement is very possiable as they get more compfortable. Sam will be entering his third season with the same system we all know this is a huge advantage to have. I look for RG3 to have some troubled days ahead yet, before his tide will turn to better play.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

First off, sometimes the sucker is the one who dealt down, if the guy dealt up for is a HAll of Famer..

The rams will get a fair return for the pick, pretty much what the trade chart suggests.

And Matthews is a far SAFER get than Robinson and Lewan, and in another class from Kouandjio, Richardson etc.

Mathews has played BOTH sides, can even project to guard, has the pedigree, grew up around the NFL, is smart, har d working, a leader, and has the experience others don't on a good team that passes a lot.

I've watched Matthews game after game for two years, and I've never seen him beat, knocked out of balance, or forced to hold.

There ar e some great looking OT in this draft, mostly the first three t hough, and some call Robinson, who may stay in school yet, a boom or bust type. No one knew who he even was in November.

Lewan is a really tall guy who seems only suited at tackle, and maybe just RT.

Erving has a bad back history.

Nope, Matthews is by far the best of the bunch, and the safest pick in the whole draft.

Since Jeff Fisher also has known him since he was a kid, I don't think he'll pass on Matthews for just "any" OT to filla hole.

Even if Matthews is a 9.8 rated player, and the others 9.6, it's stilla big enough difference to make sure you get THE best guy.

Even at #6 and #13, the Rams stand to take THE best OT, and THE best CB or WR with their first two picks.

I kind of like getting the best, and maybe they can get the best safety or center in round two.
    Barry Waller

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If you haven't interviewed a player and researched his off the field behavior, how can you honestly review the draft position of a player? Every year you get a "I've watched his highlight real on Youtube and I love him" comments, almost all 5th round players have terrific highlight reals - completely irrelevant. It's their lowlight real that is important.

How in the WORLD does Fisher knowing a kid as a 9 year old mean anything? Honestly?

"I've watched Matthews game after game for two years, and I've never seen him beat, knocked out of balance, or forced to hold." Which 2 years of his career?
    Last edited by RebelYell; -01-06-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

< don't have a clue about the OTs coming out of the Draft, but I have heard that the Texans are shopping the #1. That will make the #2 less valuable, until a team misses out on the #1 trade.>.

WIth Hundley out of the mix, I don't see Houston trading down, as the top three QB would then not get to them, after the Rams still deal down, eiter to a team wating Clowney if Bridgewater went #1 or Bridgewater if Clowney was the #1

BEcause of Clowney, AND a top QB, actually three top QB, but five or six top pick teams needing QB badly, the Rams pick will reamin valuable, just because of how it sets up.

Cleveland won't deal up, knowing they get Manziel. Jacksonville will be fine with Bortles, and Bridegewater will go 1 or 2. Oakland might deal up for Clowney more than a QB, but i think they stay put and take Barr.

THe Bucs and Falcons are the teams likely to deal up to get Clowney, and Minnesota the likeliest to trade up for a QB.

One of those sets will be the one the Rams will be dealing with, because they don't want to drop to lower than 8th, and would prefer to go 6th , knowing Atlant a would take Clowney and not Matthews.
    Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    How in the WORLD does Fisher knowing a kid as a 9 year old mean anything? Honestly?
    You really don't see the potential advantage in insight that Fisher would have for Matthews over someone he's likely talking to for the first time in a 15-minute Combine interview?

Let's be clear - no one is saying draft Matthews because Fisher knows him. You draft him because he represents the best combination of value and need. But it's an added bonus that Fisher knows him and has more insight into what you're probably getting with him than he or another evaluator would have about other players.

If part of the draft evaluation process is trying to understand and get to know the person you're going to add to your organization, then absolutely, Fisher's relationship with Matthews means something.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You really don't see the potential advantage in insight that Fisher would have for Matthews over someone he's likely talking to for the first time in a 15-minute Combine interview?

Let's be clear - no one is saying draft Matthews because Fisher knows him. You draft him because he represents the best combination of value and need. But it's an added bonus that Fisher knows him and has more insight into what you're probably getting with him than he or another evaluator would have about other players.

If part of the draft evaluation process is trying to understand and get to know the person you're going to add to your organization, then absolutely, Fisher's relationship with Matthews means something.
    Totally agree.

'Knowing' the prospect youngster -- as best possible based on what information is at the disposal of HCs and Team Managers -- does help! In addition to what the NFL combine produces in terms of numbers, having "inside" knowledge of the kid's background, character factors, schooling, etc. is always a bonus. As you said, trying to understand / know the person means something.

OT Matthews certainly has good football genes and upbringing (e.g., Chris Long, TJ McDonald, etc.). And Coach Fisher has good access to such insight. This is certainly not be the determining go / no go verdict but it can help considerably.

And it does save time in interviewing the candidate.

For me, If I'm looking for Jake Long's eventual replacement, why would I be so enamored with a player who projects to the right side as a pro, even if he is the number one prospect?

It makes much more sense to me to evaluate those projected to the left side first. If I then come away with no one even close to Mathews' talent, I then come back to him as the top prospect.

For me to draft Mathews over an OT prospect projected to LT in the NFL, he has to blow that prospect out of the water. And honestly, I didn't get that feeling from the write up posted here.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    For me, If I'm looking for Jake Long's eventual replacement, why would I be so enamored with a player who projects to the right side as a pro, even if he is the number one prospect?
    I believe that ranks as second among the great mysteries of the universe, only behind why someone would draw definitive conclusions about a prospect's future based solely on one speculative comment in a January article.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I believe that ranks as second among the great mysteries of the universe, only behind why someone would draw definitive conclusions about a prospect's future based solely on one speculative comment in a January article.
    I think you're giving them both too much credit, but I am certainly looking forward to seeing what other evaluators have to say.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    ...What? He projects as a RT in the NFL?

He's rated as a better LT prospect than Luke Joeckel who was the #2 overall pick last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast