throwback week

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Can we hold off on a OT until Round 2?

It seems unprecedented, but this OT class is quite possibly even stronger than last year's crop. Smith, Oher and Munroe are the most coveted as of right now. Jason Smith can easily jump ahead of any of those three when the Senior Bowl rolls around along with a strong showing at the combine. Surprisingly, Eben Britton declared for the draft which now makes it FIVE quality potential LT's at the next level. Couple this with Meredith, Kropog and Loadholt (who I think is an RT, but listed for depth purposes), we have another strong OT class once again with us sitting at #2. I doubt Ciron Black declares which is why I don't list him, but if he does, that only strengthens this list.

What do I suggest we do? Again, easier said than done (t-minus time for Nick to quote that) but we should trade down and take the BPA on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball. How good would a Malcolm Jenkins, Aaron Curry or Rey Maualuga look in horns? Doing this allows us to pick up extra picks, improve our lacking defense (this is not a recording) and then address the OT position at #34. Last year, we found a suitor for #2 in Baltimore who coveted Matt Ryan, but the drop to #8 was too severe. We must try and find a team who covets Andre Smith/Michael Oher this year, and get them to trade spots with us. Possibly Cincinnati or Oakland? We'll see. In all, the depth in this OT class AGAIN makes me believe that we can wait out and kill two birds with one stone. Also, Devaney said in an interview on 1380 that Softli mentioned to him an OT he liked that was viewed as a late 1st-early 2nd round pick...we'll see guys. The path to the draft has only just begun!
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-08-2009 at 04:37 AM.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Can we hold off on a OT until Round 2?

I am not against moving down, and we will have to address the D somewhere, with FA or early in the draft. I don't think a OT will solve the teams problems. The D was getting gash all season long. We could make a avarage back look like Jim Brown. If we could adress the D in FA then draft a OT with the 2 pick but for sake we must do something about the run D.
    :ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald
    It seems unprecedented, but this OT class is quite possibly even stronger than last year's crop. Smith, Oher and Munroe are the most coveted as of right now. Jason Smith can easily jump ahead of any of those three when the Senior Bowl rolls around along with a strong showing at the combine. Surprisingly, Eben Britton declared for the draft which now makes it FIVE quality potential LT's at the next level. Couple this with Meredith, Kropog and Loadholt (who I think is an RT, but listed for depth purposes), we have another strong OT class once again with us sitting at #2. I doubt Ciron Black declares which is why I don't list him, but if he does, that only strengthens this list.
    Does look like a strong class. I guess it comes down to two things: 1) what do we get in Free Agency, and 2) is the talent difference between #2 (assumedly Smith/Oher) and #34 small enough to justify the wait?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Does look like a strong class. I guess it comes down to two things: 1) what do we get in Free Agency, and 2) is the talent difference between #2 (assumedly Smith/Oher) and #34 small enough to justify the wait?
    If not, we could employ the Carolina/Atlanta method and trade back into the first to select one. That worked out well for both of them, however I would like to avoid giving up a future first rounder like Carolina did. But then again, Atlanta did have a lot of commodity to spare.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    What do I suggest we do? Again, easier said than done (t-minus time for Nick to quote that) but we should trade down and take the BPA on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball.
    I'm open to the idea, but I've said it so much that I'm being quoted before I even respond - it's easier said than done to trade out of there. If we can pull it off and come away with a top defender AND a potential LT of the future, I will stand up and applaud for the remainder of the draft. But I'm not holding my breath on being able to work out a trade for the #2 pick.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The only trade scenario I can think of that early was between the Chargers and the Giants in the Eli Manning Deal. I don't think any team has the fire power or the moxy to make a trade like that, btu who knows someone may fall in love with Bradford or stafford

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    The only trade scenario I can think of that early was between the Chargers and the Giants in the Eli Manning Deal.
    And that was an incredibly unique situation vastly different from typical NFL trades.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yes, for the second year in a row, the OT class is amazing. This actually comes out in our favor as there are a number of teams that won't be looking for the franchise LT. Atlanta(they're late, so they won't take our #2 scraps), Carolina(same), Denver(in the middle of the round, but they still won't be taking one), Miami(again late), KC(LT no, and they need a QB, so we can leap frog with relative ease of mind), and Chicago(I really have no idea what they'll go after in this draft, possibly WR or QB) all won't be going after tackles due to first round pickups last year. That will drive down demand so maybe we can get away with it.

In my mind, there's a few big things we need to keep in mind. One: It is BPA throughout the draft. We're rebuilding, and if there's a player who fell and is better than what we have, we need to take them. Two: Everyone is tradeable. If we can shop Pace, Little, Holt, etc. Everyone is fair game. Three: Trade our first pick, almost no matter what. Unless there's a second coming of Orlando Pace absolutely there at #2, we need to trade our first to whoever will pay the most for it. Trade it for a freaking 1st and 2nd or a 1st and 2nd next year and a 3rd this year. Don't demand the moon, just get a good deal for it and move on. It'll save us money, get us into a position where we can pick BPA, and it'll get us picks.

smizzhfx Guest

Bradford said he is most likely going to declare so a team in desperate need for a quarterback might be tempted to leap-frog the Chiefs for one.. could be wishful thinking but who knows what might happen.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

First of all Yes !
    I would perfer them to trade down to anywhere around the 6th - 12th pick for a extra 2nd round pick. The deal won't get done if they ask for to much. Right now it's hard to trade down because the price of early 1st Rd picks. I would rather take a MLB, DT or CB in Rd 1. The Rams could take a OT and Center in Rd 2. How would this Rams draft sound
    RD # 1 Rey Maualuga ILB
    RD # 2 Eben Britten OT
    RD # 2 Max Unger C / OT
    To all Ram Fans DEFENCE builds CHAMPIONSHIPS ! ! ! ! !

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The Run on OT's last season stopped after 7 tackles at pick 23 in Round One.

This expectedly will work in our favor in terms of being able to land a good OT in Round 2, but it is something to consider in that Sam Baker and Duane Brown did not really grade out as first round tackle prospects but teams weren't afraid to pull the trigger in order to attain some solidity. Are we willing to take that risk?