Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

Can you imagine?

Martz in Detroit with three #1 WR's already on the roster and if Vernon Davis is setting there for them to pick in the first round. A TE with sub 4.5 speed that is a good receiving TE. He would be as happy as could be if he could draft him for his offense in Detroit.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Can you imagine?

And then drafting Brodie Croyle!!! Dang that would be awesome.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Martz isn't head coach, though, and before Detroit pulled the trigger on that they'd be asking themselves whether they really want the Fire Matt Millen Crusade to pick up again. Besides, Martz didn't really use the TE in the passing game while he was here.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think if Davis is on the board when the Lions' pick comes up, they take him. But right now I have Davis pegged to the 49'ers to give Alex Smith someone to throw to besides Brandon Lloyd.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I could see that. On my board, SF goes for Hawk and the Lions either pick one of the big three qbs if any are still available or they take Huff. At FS, they've currently got Jon McGraw and Vernon Fox. Hardly household names there. I just don't see Davis being a good fit there.

That's kind of the problem with him; most of the really bad teams last year suffered most from poor qb play or poor defensive play and aren't going to think a TE is going to turn that around. Even at 11, we debate whether we should take him if we have the opportunity and nobody above us particularly needs him more than we do.

The ***** do have a need at LB with some of the free agents they have, but they have virtually no playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Their best offensive weapon is Brandon Lloyd, who makes an acrobatic catch one minute and then misses a wide open ball the next. If they want Alex Smith to be successful, they've got to surround him with some kind of talent. And with Norv Turner at OC, Davis would allow San Fran to stretch the field a bit more.

If for some reason Hawk gets by Oakland and Buffalo, I could see Detroit taking him because they do need to strengthen their LB corps as well.

Really, the top of the first round is VERY unpredictable now. You could see something as crazy as:

1) Bush
    2) Leinart
    3) Young
    4) Cutler
    5) M. Williams
    6) Davis
    7) Ngata
    8) Ferguson
    9) Hawk
    10) Justice

Or something like...

1) Bush
    2) Cutler
    3) Ferguson
    4) Leinart
    5) M. Williams
    6) Hawk
    7) Young
    8) Ngata
    9) Davis
    10) White

Or even...

1) Bush
    2) Cutler
    3) Leinart
    4) Ferguson
    5) M. Williams
    6) Davis
    7) Hawk
    8) Ngata
    9) Huff
    10) White

We don't even know for certain that Bush will be the top pick, because of the rumors of the Jets possibly trading up for Leinart (though I think if the Jets do trade up, it'd have to be for Bush).
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 Guest

And then drafting Brodie Croyle!!! Dang that would be awesome.
    Brodie would die behind that O-Line. Especially with Martz as the Head Coach.

RamsFan16 Guest

So. He would also shine too. He made Warner out of nothing. He made Bulger from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    So. He would also shine too.
    Not if he's injured, which is very likely for a guy like Croyle with injury histories in a Martz offense that offers limited protection.

RamJackson39 Guest

Croyle would be amazing in an offense like Linehan's where he will offer max protection and a power running game. Martz wont offer that same thing. Croyle wont like throwing the ball 60 times a game, and Martz wont like Croyle suggesting a running play or two.

RamsFan16 Guest

Na I wouldn't say max protection. If you think Max Protect because Cullpepper didn't get sacked much its because he was mobile and I'm more than 100% sure you knew that!

RamJackson39 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Na I wouldn't say max protection. If you think Max Protect because Cullpepper didn't get sacked much its because he was mobile and I'm more than 100% sure you knew that!
    Linehan favors keeping a TE to block on passing plays. Culpepper didnt spend a lot of time running around because of that. When Linehan left, Culpepper spent a lot more time running and wasnt half the QB that he had been.

I think Croyle needs to land in a team with a pretty good O-Line and a solid running game. He'd be great in an offense that allows him to throw around 15-20 times a game and allows him to take a few shots deep.

I do want to say that Matt Mayock doesnt know crap about Croyle. Croyle has one of the best arms in the draft. I'd put him 2nd to Cutler when it comes to arm strength.

RamsFan16 Guest

One thing. This team has no TE!

RamJackson39 Guest

One thing. This team has no TE!
    This is where Hedgecock comes in...

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    This is where Hedgecock comes in...
    He is our FB and he isn't TE material.