Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: Cap Set At $133 Million

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Cap Set At $133 Million

That's a million higher than the last report, and it's a great thing, not just for the Rams, but for the NFL.

When teams can keep players they need, rather than having to cut them loose a year or two early, you get better football. There is enough natural turnover in the NFL, without artificially increasing it because the owners want to make more money.

All this does is get free agents overpaid in a competetive market, usually ones who themselves get cut as soon as their front loaded deals start balooning.

Because agents get monster deals for stud QBs, WR, DE, CB and LT especially, those teams get punished by a too low cap.

Teams like the Rams who had high picks BEFORE the new CBA are being punished, even though they aren't wild spenders year after year on free agents. Keeping your own stars shouldn't end up ruining your chances to build something special.

Luckily, other than Saffold, the Rams have no key free agents.

If Saffold leaves, maybe they redo Dahl and keep him, and bring WIlliams back, and then draft a guard in round two or three, especially if they acquire some extra picks in a deal down.

Sure teams with huge cap room now have seen it get huger, but thse teams were not gonna spend it all in this year's weak markeyt anyway, and there is no Peyton Manning to ad with a giant cap number.

The ones way over, are still in fairly dire straights.

Ones like the Rams went from "No big signings and hopefully we can keep our own and add SOMETHING cheap", to "Free agent players with far more surity to keep their own as well.

How much of the $21.3 million that I calculate the Rams have available after a couple cuts will be needed to re-sign Clemens, Saffold, and Williams remains to be seen, and we will know pretty quick, since if they don't get done by March 10th, those guys are likely gone, and the Rams will search for upgrades elsewhere.

If the Rams are committed to the running game again, they can find run blocking guards in FA and in the draft for a relatively low cost. If they draft Jake Matthews, he could fill in at guard this year and have Barksdale at RT.

Ben Grubbs, a former 1st round pick, signed a $35 million five year deal with the Saints in 2012, with $10 million bonus. His first year cap number was $2.7 million, and just over $4 million his second year.

So the Rams can replace Saffold for $3 million in cap with a Pro Bowl type, if they don't get Saffold fo that $7 million a year overall deal

Chris Williams should be a $2 million cap hit MAX
    Kellen Clemens should get about that.
    I think Dunbar could be had for $1.5 million cao

Now you have spent $8.5 million of your cap room to return those guys.

And you still have over $12.5 million in cap, even BEFORE you redo or cut Wells to add another $4.5 million. As I said before, I think they will save that move for signing draft picks.

Last year, the Rams were just under the cap by a couple million in February, but were able to sign Jake Long, a top free agent by clearing some cap.

With so many draft picks in a strong draft, I still don't see the Rams signing more than a guard if Saffold and Dahl or Williams goes, a center if Scott Wells is not here, and a veteran safety and cornerback.

Like Wells, the CB could be Finnegan, at a far lower cap number.

The team could really use a couple older veterans to show these young guys how to win and work. Guys like Charles Woodson and Junior Seau have played that role on young defenses needing that leadership.

The Rams cannot afford to let the babies grow into that role now, so I could se a few grey beard types being added, especially guys that Fisher or Gregg Williams know well, like Roman Harper.

In 10 days, even less with teams locking up their own, a thinned out FA crop will hit the market. Hopefully the Rams shopping list is small, because there still is that matter of getting Quinn signed to a long term deal.

Just give me Saffold, Williams, Dunbar, and a starting FS and I'll be happy as a clam headed into what could be a killer Rams draft, especially if Wells and Finnegan return with new smaller deals.

Limiting the holes to fill really could make Snead's job easier on draft day, as they could focus on four or five guys they want the most at positions that appear unfillable in FA or via trade.

Barry Waller

Cap News Gets Even Better

NFL Organizations love certainty, and now, with the announcement today concerning the salary cap, NFL GMs know that the cap is gonna be friendly the next three years at least.

Not only is there a nice raise for 2014, to $133 million, the raise is the same in 2015, tp 4140 million, and even BIGGER in 2015, to $140 million.

Now, agents see that as a raise for their clients, but the Rams now appear very shrewd in locking up core players already.

They don't have to worry about the big money Chris Long will be getting these years, nor Jake Long, nor, Sam Bradford, nor Jared Cook. They know that the free agents signed now with lower cap numbers, will still be affordable when those deals go up the next t hree years.

Pretty much every stay with a deal in place is now going to be a relative bargain.

Teams are not going to be letting nearly as many older key veterans go now, and free agents will get re-signed more now, For the next three years, I would be very wary of ANY top paid FA that hits the market, because there MUST be something wrong with them.

This cap thing is a major deal, and makes building through the draft and young players more a must, and the Rams, already the youngest team in the NFL, getting younger when they let a couple guys go to get some more cap room now, are sitting on two top 15 picks that could yield a couple more top 50 picks if deal downs are done, plus their own second, third, fourth fifth, sixth, and 2 seventh, PLUS an expected thr ee 6th rounders as comp picks.

The dynamics of such cap relief are going to make a huge difference to teams with big big money to spend, because they will either have to overpay a LOT, for just good, not great players (look for lots of franchise tags on the best guys), or be left making lots of money but being unable to find replacement players in the off season, OTHER than the draft.

As far as the Rams, Robert Quinn can forget about going anywhere, and this certainty makes inking he and Bradford, hopefully with a small hometown discount, to long term deals.

This kind of news could even make a guy like ST Louis native Jairus Byrd a possibility.

He'll get franchised AGAIN, for sure, but it's the last time Buffalo can do it.

Now, Byrd can become the Rams top free agent not just now, but also in 2014 and even 2015, if they pay what he will get now, but the cap rises allow it to be possible, even wit h the Quinn and Bradford and maybe even Saffold deals done. If they let Saffold walk, and replace him with a second round draft pick, theu should EASILY be able to take on a Goldsen type contract, with 10% added for inflarion to what the Bucs paid the ex-Niner.

Because they didn't want the Niners to be able to match, Goldsen counted a massive $8.7 million his first year on a $41 million, 5 year deal.

Now, if the Rams were to offer Buffalo their own #1 pick, at 13, for the tagged Byrd, the Rams could afford the tag while they negotiate a deal like Goldsen, maybe one a bit more cap friendly early, and I think Buffalo would go for that in a heartbeat.

The guy the Rams pick 13th , based on what that pick, Sheldon Richardson, got last year, plus a bit more would be at about $2 million cap number in year one.

So in reality, if the Rams were gonna take a FS at pick 13, they would just be getting a sure way better one right away, for , lets say 45 or %6 million extra a year.

They can now easily handle that. And I think Byrd would be signable for less than what he would have gotten on the open market. Since he is the best safety in the NFL arguably, even paying him the franchise tag, the average of the top five guys, is a bargain.

Again, Les Snead and Jeff Fisher are appearing very shrewd in their plan implemented two years ago, before anyone knew this big hike could happen.

Than that new TV deal for Thursday games, next time you are pissed when the Rams have a short work week for a game, OR if they go to London again. All the extra revenue is why this is happening, and it means t he owners are thriving.

That makes the cost of a franchise go way up for those folks in L.A., and the cost for a team to move there to reach $1.5 billion or more.

The owners will be in no hurry to share the pie though, so I don't see expansion happening any time soon, even a decade.

And they are doing super with no team in L.A., so what is the motivation for the owners to give up money out of their pockets for really nothing back. .
    Barry Waller

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Cap Set At $133 Million

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    That's a million higher than the last report, and it's a great thing, not just for the Rams, but for the NFL.

When teams can keep players they need, rather than having to cut them loose a year or two early, you get better football. There is enough natural turnover in the NFL, without artificially increasing it because the owners want to make more money.

All this does is get free agents overpaid in a competetive market, usually ones who themselves get cut as soon as their front loaded deals start balooning.

Because agents get monster deals for stud QBs, WR, DE, CB and LT especially, those teams get punished by a too low cap.

Teams like the Rams who had high picks BEFORE the new CBA are being punished, even though they aren't wild spenders year after year on free agents. Keeping your own stars shouldn't end up ruining your chances to build something special.

Luckily, other than Saffold, the Rams have no key free agents.

If Saffold leaves, maybe they redo Dahl and keep him, and bring WIlliams back, and then draft a guard in round two or three, especially if they acquire some extra picks in a deal down.

Sure teams with huge cap room now have seen it get huger, but thse teams were not gonna spend it all in this year's weak markeyt anyway, and there is no Peyton Manning to ad with a giant cap number.

The ones way over, are still in fairly dire straights.

Ones like the Rams went from "No big signings and hopefully we can keep our own and add SOMETHING cheap", to "Free agent players with far more surity to keep their own as well.

How much of the $21.3 million that I calculate the Rams have available after a couple cuts will be needed to re-sign Clemens, Saffold, and Williams remains to be seen, and we will know pretty quick, since if they don't get done by March 10th, those guys are likely gone, and the Rams will search for upgrades elsewhere.

If the Rams are committed to the running game again, they can find run blocking guards in FA and in the draft for a relatively low cost. If they draft Jake Matthews, he could fill in at guard this year and have Barksdale at RT.

Ben Grubbs, a former 1st round pick, signed a $35 million five year deal with the Saints in 2012, with $10 million bonus. His first year cap number was $2.7 million, and just over $4 million his second year.

So the Rams can replace Saffold for $3 million in cap with a Pro Bowl type, if they don't get Saffold fo that $7 million a year overall deal

Chris Williams should be a $2 million cap hit MAX
    Kellen Clemens should get about that.
    I think Dunbar could be had for $1.5 million cao

Now you have spent $8.5 million of your cap room to return those guys.

And you still have over $12.5 million in cap, even BEFORE you redo or cut Wells to add another $4.5 million. As I said before, I think they will save that move for signing draft picks.

Last year, the Rams were just under the cap by a couple million in February, but were able to sign Jake Long, a top free agent by clearing some cap.

With so many draft picks in a strong draft, I still don't see the Rams signing more than a guard if Saffold and Dahl or Williams goes, a center if Scott Wells is not here, and a veteran safety and cornerback.

Like Wells, the CB could be Finnegan, at a far lower cap number.

The team could really use a couple older veterans to show these young guys how to win and work. Guys like Charles Woodson and Junior Seau have played that role on young defenses needing that leadership.

The Rams cannot afford to let the babies grow into that role now, so I could se a few grey beard types being added, especially guys that Fisher or Gregg Williams know well, like Roman Harper.

In 10 days, even less with teams locking up their own, a thinned out FA crop will hit the market. Hopefully the Rams shopping list is small, because there still is that matter of getting Quinn signed to a long term deal.

Just give me Saffold, Williams, Dunbar, and a starting FS and I'll be happy as a clam headed into what could be a killer Rams draft, especially if Wells and Finnegan return with new smaller deals.

Limiting the holes to fill really could make Snead's job easier on draft day, as they could focus on four or five guys they want the most at positions that appear unfillable in FA or via trade.
    Don't see Clemens coming back, unless we keep 3 QBs. I definitely believe we draft one in the middle rounds.

Re: Cap Set At $133 Million

They will keep 3, amd no way they risk their season on a rookie QB if Sam gets hurt, Clemens knows the offense, is still young, cheap and popular. He'll be back
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    Barry Waller