Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Cap space? HOLT for CRABTREE

With the 2nd pick Rams take M. Crabtree WR.
    Holt: Scheduled to count $10.2 million against the cap, I believe the Rams would save nearly $8 million against the cap by cutting him, which I anticipate they'll do if they can't rework that deal to lower his cap cost. Maybe one to two years left to play.

Would you do it?

Crabtree would be bigger ,faster , and alot younger.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Re: Cap space? HOLT for CRABTREE

In an ideal world I'd trade Holt plus 3 round pick for Peppers since he wants out of there. But that's not going to happen, since he'll demand the franchise tag, unless Car. figures getting something instead of having a disgruntled player isn't worth it. But that would allow Chris Long to go back to the 3-4 technique which he is used to, and that will force us to get a real NT in round 1. So no Crabtree there, but that's just how I view it.

RAMPAGE! Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    In an ideal world I'd trade Holt plus 3 round pick for Peppers since he wants out of there. But that's not going to happen, since he'll demand the franchise tag, unless Car. figures getting something instead of having a disgruntled player isn't worth it. But that would allow Chris Long to go back to the 3-4 technique which he is used to, and that will force us to get a real NT in round 1. So no Crabtree there, but that's just how I view it.

Unfortunately we wont be seeing any thing that even resembles a 3-4 so there goes that theory. Doesnt mean I wouldnt be intrigued

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Question Re: Cap space? HOLT for CRABTREE

I would not release Holt. If we can get value for him in a trade, then I'd consider it. But to let him go simply to save some cap space in the short run is a bad move, in my opinion (same goes for Leonard Little).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams won't get anything for Holt in a trade. And a $10.2M cap figure is pretty massive to just eat with Holt on the roster as is.

Holt is scheduled to make $6.65 million in salary, so theoretically the Rams could try to convert that into bonus money to spread over an extension in order to reduce the hit. But Torry's vague and distant comments this season have caused many to speculate that he doesn't want to remain a Ram, so it's entirely possible that he's not willing to rework his contract or sign an extension to help the Rams cap-wise.

Given that the Rams will probably have to shell out significant money to retain Bartell and Atogwe, they very well could choose to cut Torry, free up nearly $8 million in cap space, and then use that space to make some additional moves.

As for drafting Crabtree, I'm open to it if he's the best player on the board at that point. Crabtree's size and run-after-catch ability would be a nice compliment to Avery and his speed and ability to stretch the field.

djdeeznutz Guest

I dont know the exact figure but the Rams have somwhere around 18 mill to work with and they will most likely sign Bartel and Atogwe. But the Rams will still have Cap space for both.

If the Rams do get Crabtree (i also want this playmaker) the Rams are probably going to trade Holt in the later rounds.