Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam

Thread: Cards S Adrian Wilson to be Released

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Cards S Adrian Wilson to be Released

He is going to be released today, per a twitter source. He is older, but is anyone interested? He is still one of the better Safeties in the game, and he will absolutely destroy you if you go near him.

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Cards S Adrian Wilson to be Released

I always liked Wilson, but as with any FA, depends on price. He might want to go to a team with a better chance to contend too.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Isn't he a box saftey? And I remember last year watching a few cards games and the announcers were saying he lost a step also. But honestly all I know about him is he was a rams killer.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Isn't he a box saftey? And I remember last year watching a few cards games and the announcers were saying he lost a step also. But honestly all I know about him is he was a rams killer.
    You can say that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Yes he is an in the box SS. Tackling machine. He was subbed during nickel packages too, so that is what you're probably referring to as "lost a step". There is plenty of other S's I'd take before Wilson, but he isn't a terrible consolation prize.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    He is going to be released today, per a twitter source. He is older, but is anyone interested? He is still one of the better Safeties in the game, and he will absolutely destroy you if you go near him.
    Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to releasing Mikell ONLY IF WE LOCK UP A PLAYER LIKE WILSON.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Unless you're also advocating the Rams release Mikell, then I'm not sure how much sense it makes to suggest the Rams sign a player that essentially fills the same role.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Unless you're also advocating the Rams release Mikell, then I'm not sure how much sense it makes to suggest the Rams sign a player that essentially fills the same role.
    If I were to go after Adrian Wilson, yes, I would release Mikell. In my dream world I sign Dashon Goldson and draft Jonathon Cyprien, but things may not work out like that. There are a lot of FA safeties I'm interested in: Delmas, Goldson, Kenny Phillips, Will Moore, Adrian Wilson, Pat Chung, and the list goes on.

THE DREAM TEAM

There are a lot of FA safeties I'm interested in
    And there are virtually no free agent safeties I'm interested in.

The Rams already have a solid one in Mikell; it'd be nice if his cap number was smaller but I don't think it's so large and restrictive that it's worth cutting a good player.

On top of that, this is a very good class of safeties IMO. There are a lot of promising young players who could be had through at least the first three rounds.

So with one quality safety already on the roster and the potential to add another in the draft, I don't really understand the desire to go out and sign a free agent for what would almost certainly cost $5+ million per year but likely more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And there are virtually no free agent safeties I'm interested in.

The Rams already have a solid one in Mikell; it'd be nice if his cap number was smaller but I don't think it's so large and restrictive that it's worth cutting a good player.

On top of that, this is a very good class of safeties IMO. There are a lot of promising young players who could be had through at least the first three rounds.

So with one quality safety already on the roster and the potential to add another in the draft, I don't really understand the desire to go out and sign a free agent for what would almost certainly cost $5+ million per year but likely more.
    I'd rather have Delmas, Phillips, and Quin Jr over Mikell. So there is that. Depending on how much we save I'd rather a duo of Kenny Phillips and whoever we draft, with Darian Stewart or somebody dependable as a backup just in case Phillips goes down.

Plus I believe there are more in the box SS safeties in the draft rather than FS centrefielders (which there is more of in the FA pool) so I'd rather let go of Mikell, replace him with a younger SS(ex.) D.J Swearinger, and sign a true FS like Delmas, William Moore, Kenny Phillips, or Ed Reed and go with that well complement of a backfield.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-08-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Edit rather than double post, please.

THE DREAM TEAM

I'd rather have Delmas, Phillips, and Quin Jr over Mikell. So there is that. Depending on how much we save I'd rather a duo of Kenny Phillips and whoever we draft, with Darian Stewart or somebody dependable as a backup just in case Phillips goes down.

Plus I believe there are more in the box SS safeties in the draft rather than FS centrefielders (which there is more of in the FA pool) so I'd rather let go of Mikell, replace him with a younger SS(ex.) D.J Swearinger, and sign a true FS like Delmas, William Moore, Kenny Phillips, or Ed Reed and go with that well complement of a backfield.
    Even if cut, Mikell is going to cost a couple of million against the cap anyways. With Demoff's preference for not backloading contracts, I really question whether there would be any savings by cutting Mikell and signing a free agent.

On top of that, who is to say the free agent safety ends up playing well in this defense? The Rams know Mikell can because he did last year.

You're creating a hole where one doesn't exist just so you can go get a free agent you like better than one who is already doing his job effectively. Does this strike you as a winning formula?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I leave the discussion on whether there is a place on the Rams for Wilson, but i will say this. I hold him in the ultimate highest possible esteem as a competitor. Right up there with Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice on the all time Ram killer list (not quite a Staubach or Tarkenton, but right up there). The guy played hard every down, played clean and was a really great competitor. I think he was a hall of fame player and had he not played basically his entire career for the Big Dead, he would be as widely known and respected as John Lynch, another great great safety (or brian dawkins for that matter).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel