Thread: Carriker

Aronmorg is offline Registered User

Carriker

Hello Ram Nation,

Casual Rams fan here, Really i'm a Cowboys fan but since i'm living in STL I root for them when they aren't playing the boys. ( The 2008 game still hurts. lol)

I was just wondering about Carriker, it seem like the has the size and athleticism to be an all pro 4-3 DT but he just hasn't put it together. 6-6 305 is THE ideal size for that position. Can anyone tell me their opinion on why he has panned out so far.

I know he's been injured for 2/3's of his career, but has he shown flashes of brilliance or anything.

Also give me the inside scoop on Chris Long does he look like he could make the pro-bowl anytime in soon.

BTW I believe that the Rams should look into getting Julius Peppers although i'm sure he is looking for a winning team and not just a paycheck.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Re: Carriker

You pretty much nailed it with Carriker, he can't stay on the field or sometimes even get on the field due to injuries. He's shown that he is starting amterial in the little bit Ive got to see hima ctually play, but we stillr eally don't know what we have with him. Chris Long came along great towards the end of this season and we expect him to put up double digit sacks next season and a solid 60 tackles. A lot of that depends on what the Rams do this offseason, namely if Suh is brought in with the first pick.

DieHardRamsFan1381 is offline Registered User

if the rams are gonna drat suh i dont think theres any chance theyll talk about signing peppers. i think the rams are in need of a run stuffing dt like vince wilfolf or pat williams. the DT we go should either be on special teams or the practice squad cause dont any of them play or stay healthy.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Adam has also been playing out of his natural DE position.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Adam has also been playing out of his natural 3-4 DE position.
    Fixed it for you.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Thanks, Nick.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

First off Carriker is playing DT and not his natural position DE. Also the previous Rams regime made Carriker put on more weight and that affected his game play. And (in my opinion) tall players dnt do so well in the middle of lines, i think it has something to do with their center of gravity. Ive noticed shorter fatter players do better probably because their center of gravity is lower to the ground while carriker's is higher up and easier to get at.

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    First off Carriker is playing DT and not his natural position DE.
    The only scheme in which DE is Carriker's natural position is a 3-4. He would not be playing his natural position by lining up as a 4-3 DE.

Also the previous Rams regime made Carriker put on more weight and that affected his game play.
    Perhaps, but Carriker was already at 296 pounds prior to being drafted by the Rams. Did the extra ten to fifteen pounds really affect his game that much?

And (in my opinion) tall players dnt do so well in the middle of lines, i think it has something to do with their center of gravity. Ive noticed shorter fatter players do better probably because their center of gravity is lower to the ground while carriker's is higher up and easier to get at.
    Nose tackles generally aren't tall as that can hinder their ability to maintain good leverage. But three technique tackles can be. Some of the NFL's best 4-3 DTs (Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, and John Henderson) are tall players.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

For his size / speed, Andy was a marginal DE prospect from the very beginning. The allure was always that with his size and speed he was a premier DT. It just hasn't materialized.

He had the ankle injury in college that has followed him to the pros.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The only scheme in which DE is Carriker's natural position is a 3-4. He would not be playing his natural position by lining up as a 4-3 DE.

Perhaps, but Carriker was already at 296 pounds prior to being drafted by the Rams. Did the extra ten to fifteen pounds really affect his game that much?

Nose tackles generally aren't tall as that can hinder their ability to maintain good leverage. But three technique tackles can be. Some of the NFL's best 4-3 DTs (Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, and John Henderson) are tall players.
    Alright NICK, enlighten the frick outta me. Since all my assumptions are wrong, what did happen to Carriker that he sucks so bad now?

Alright NICK, enlighten the frick outta me. Since all my assumptions are wrong, what did happen to Carriker that he sucks so bad now?
    I think the two biggest factors are (1) he's been injured and (2) he wasn't able to settle in to one spot, because the Rams had him shifting back and forth between the nose and the three-technique. But it's hard to make progress at either spot when you're constantly dealing with injuries.