Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    peramoure is offline Registered User

Re: Carriker to be traded

How much was Carriker on the books for? I know everyone hoped he would rebound, but he has been a royal freaking bust. If we save money and pay someone else that would be awesome, because he was a very high pick.

molar_pistol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    When's the last time we've done something productive with any 5th rounder?

2007-Clifton Ryan.

HOWEVER....before that 2001-Jerametrius Butler and 2000-Bryan Young.

So....3 guys of marginal ability for a decade's worth of picks.

I remain unenthused.
    clifton ryan has helped us a million times more than carriker ever did, so i don't really get your point. also, the people in charge for the last 10 years were obviously morons, forget about 5th rounders, how many FIRST rounders do we still have that those people picked?? what's happened in past years in any given round has absolutely nothing to do with this weekend, your whole argument just isn't valid.

TakeSuh Guest

maybe i dont have to change my name after all...

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TakeSuh View Post
    maybe i dont have to change my name after all...
    ugh

No u actually had to change it last month

Carriker was probably 4th or 5th on Spags depth charts behind Cliff ryan, Robbins, Dorrel Scott, and probably gary gibson.

Thats like saying we trade Chris OGobanya and then say were take spiller cuz we lost depth.

I just dont understand why do the trade right now? why not wait till draft day and if there is a player we like that wont last till our original pick then we trade up.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    clifton ryan has helped us a million times more than carriker ever did, so i don't really get your point. also, the people in charge for the last 10 years were obviously morons, forget about 5th rounders, how many FIRST rounders do we still have that those people picked?? what's happened in past years in any given round has absolutely nothing to do with this weekend, your whole argument just isn't valid.
    Well, as I mentioned previously, the people picking now have struck out the last two years in the fifth. So clearly Team Devaney is a band of morons as well. My general point was it is a rare occurrence for this team to actually have one of these late round picks pan out. Which it is.

And yes, from a talent potential standpoint I view Rounds 5-7 to be pretty much homogeneous from round to round and from spot to spot. So yes, more picks in these rounds are better than moving up or down in the round. Sure, you may be slightly more likely to find that great Pro Bowler or even solid starter in the 5th, but its more likely in the way that you are more likely to see a palm tree in Iowa than you are in Minnesota.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'd rather move up in the 5th than snag a late 7th round choice. Most of those guys are about as valuable as an undrafted free agent. I'd rather move up in the 5th from the back to the top of the round and get a (hopefully) better player than get an extra 7th and take a guy that we had a good shot at getting in FA anyway.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think we've learned two things here:

1. Don't trust the PD to accurately report the details; and

2. Carriker probably wasn't going to make the team.
    And had this trade not happened, and Carriker eventually cut; I'd wager some of the same voices poo-pooing the trade now would be screaming at Devaney for "not trying to get something in return for him; I mean, why just cut him? try to trade him instead? Come on, Devaney, you suck!"
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If the Rams value Carriker as a 7th round value (that's what the trade says very clearly in the value chart), he was on the way out. Holding out hope that the guy can turn it around is a long shot.

molar_pistol Guest

Well, as I mentioned previously, the people picking now have struck out the last two years in the fifth. So clearly Team Devaney is a band of morons as well. My general point was it is a rare occurrence for this team to actually have one of these late round picks pan out. Which it is.

And yes, from a talent potential standpoint I view Rounds 5-7 to be pretty much homogeneous from round to round and from spot to spot. So yes, more picks in these rounds are better than moving up or down in the round. Sure, you may be slightly more likely to find that great Pro Bowler or even solid starter in the 5th, but its more likely in the way that you are more likely to see a palm tree in Iowa than you are in Minnesota.
    i guess you're not understanding that carriker has no value, and thus getting any pick in this draft, or essentially moving up a round with a pick, is a decent move. also remember that devaney was here two years ago, but last year was the first time he was the guy. foster looked like a solid playmaking receiver in camp and got hurt before the season, but would have gotten plenty of playing time, i don't think that counts as striking out.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i guess you're not understanding that carriker has no value, and thus getting any pick in this draft, or essentially moving up a round with a pick, is a decent move. also remember that devaney was here two years ago, but last year was the first time he was the guy. foster looked like a solid playmaking receiver in camp and got hurt before the season, but would have gotten plenty of playing time, i don't think that counts as striking out.
    Once you hit the fifth round, all moving up in the Draft means is that you get to blindly fire away ahead of somebody else. In such an environment, it is more beneficial to get more shots than it is to move up in the queue. We might as well have just left Carriker on Daniel Snyder's doorstep in an SUV-sized basket with a note saying "please take care of me."

The 2008 Draft was, as stated by the Rams, his express responsibility. All the picks we made were his call.

Foster did not sufficiently distance himself from the rest of our muddle of possession receivers and #2 guys to establish himself medium-to-long term here either. Assuming, of course, he recovers from such a damaging early injury.
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -04-20-2010 at 10:55 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Still nothing but negativity I see.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I've contended for a while that Carriker was no guarantee to even make the 2010 Rams roster, so being able to get something for him rather than nothing (which is what St. Louis would have received in return had they released him later this year) works for me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Peoria
    Once you hit the fifth round, all moving up in the Draft means is that you get to blindly fire away ahead of somebody else. In such an environment, it is more beneficial to get more shots than it is to move up in the queue.
    While I disagree that franchises are merely firing blind in the 5th, it would appear that nobody was offering an extra pick. It was swap picks or nothing. If the franchise lost confidence in the kid (ie. he was most likely getting cut), then isn't a higher pick better than nothing at all?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The Optimistic Lamb Guest

I love the idea of trading up in the 5th round. It will pay off, just you guys watch.
    This is a deep draft, and with the 1st & 5th picks in the 5th rnd we could still find solid rotational players.

molar_pistol Guest

Once you hit the fifth round, all moving up in the Draft means is that you get to blindly fire away ahead of somebody else. In such an environment, it is more beneficial to get more shots than it is to move up in the queue. We might as well have just left Carriker on Daniel Snyder's doorstep in an SUV-sized basket with a note saying "please take care of me."

The 2008 Draft was, as stated by the Rams, his express responsibility. All the picks we made were his call.

Foster did not sufficiently distance himself from the rest of our muddle of possession receivers and #2 guys to establish himself medium-to-long term here either. Assuming, of course, he recovers from such a damaging early injury.
    blindly firing away is absolutely what the previous regime did, including round 1, but i think we're beyond that at this point. like i said, we have done a decent job in the mid/late rounds the last couple of years. finding a star guy might be somewhat of a crapshoot there but solid guys like scott, foster, vobora, burton are solid players that help more than carriker has.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast