Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Carter, Fair, and Ivy sign with the Rams

Rams Sign S Carter; First '05 Draft Choice To Ink Deal
    Thursday, April 28, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

Fourth-round draft selection Jerome Carter became the first member of the NFL’s 2005 draft class to come to contract terms Thursday, signing to a three-year contract.

The safety out of Florida State was the 117th pick in the draft and the Rams’ first choice of the fourth round.

Carter said he didn’t worry much about money or anything else; he just wanted to get on the field.

“I just want to play football,” Carter said. “I let my agent handle everything on that end right there. I like how everything looked so I just went in and did it.”

RAMS ADD FAIR, IVY TO SECONDARY: The Rams added a pair of cornerbacks Thursday in an effort to add to their rapidly developing competition in the secondary.

Cornerback Terry Fair signed a one-year contract, while CB Corey Ivy agreed to a one-year deal with St. Louis after hitting the free-agent market earlier this offseason. Fair and Ivy will give the Rams two more defensive backs to provide an intense competition at the secondary. At the least, the two will give St. Louis a much-needed special teams boost.

Coach Mike Martz said Fair and Ivy should help the team with depth and have a history of being quality players on defense and the special units.

“Both of them are terrific teams players,” Martz said. “Corey was a blue teams player, which means he is top notch as well as a good corner. Terry has been terrific in returns, both kickoff and punt returns.”

Fair has not played football since the first three games of the 2002 season when he was with Carolina. He played in those games and then was placed on injured reserve because of an ankle injury.

Fair sat out the 2003 season with the same injury before signing with Pittsburgh before last season. He did not play for the Steelers, either. In spite of all of the injury problems, Fair was an excellent return man and a solid cornerback for Detroit.

The Lions drafted Fair with the 20th choice in the 1998 NFL Draft. He had an immediate impact that season, returning two kicks for touchdowns, including one for 105 yards. During his first three seasons with Detroit, Fair had five touchdown returns.

“If we keep him healthy, I think we have a terrific talent there,” Martz said.

Defensively, Fair has seven career interceptions, two that he returned for touchdowns. He recorded 212 tackles in four years with Detroit.

Ivy entered the league a year later than Fair, spending some time on New England’s practice squad in 1999. He signed with Cleveland in 2000, but didn’t make it out of training camp. He finally found a home with Tampa Bay in 2001, where he spent the next four seasons.

Ivy made 72 tackles in 49 games in mostly a backup role for the Buccaneers. After spending this offseason searching for a job, he finally landed one in St. Louis.

The Rams might not be done yet with more free agents expected to hit the market in the next few weeks and on June 2. Martz hinted that there could be something else on the horizon.

“There might be another deal that we’ll get done, maybe next week,” Martz said. “Who knows?”

INCOGNITO NO GO: Third-round draft choice Richie Incognito had his knee operation in Birmingham, Ala. on Thursday. Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery; a procedure that Martz said went well.

The operation will keep Incognito out of this weekend’s rookie mini-camp.

“He is going to stay down there until Monday,” Martz said. “Originally, we thought he might be able to come in for the weekend, but he is going to stay down in Alabama. He can’t do anything rehab-wise for two weeks so we won’t bring him in here until about mid-May.”

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: Carter, Fair, and Ivy sign with the Rams

Competition in the secondary and ST is getting better every minute

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Sounds like some great additions.

“There might be another deal that we’ll get done, maybe next week,” Martz said. “Who knows?”
    I wonder who Martz is talking about? (Not that it would be unheard of that he is just blowing smoke to the media)

I'm just trying to think who is out there right now, or what do the Rams need at this point? DT? Az Hakim?

I feel like they've got enough players now, they just have to find out who's best. What would be a good addition at this point? or who specifically?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well it looks like Fair will be one of our returners this season, so I wouldn't think that AZ would be in the picture. Maybe thay can add a vet S or D line man.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ramhard is offline Registered User

DT, DE, and Vet QB

I think the Rams are looking around (in order of priority) for a vet DT, a DE for the rotation, and a vet QB.

general counsel Guest

Vet DE, Even more help in the secondary and probably a vet DT. I dont think we are going to sign another qb. In fact, i would be surprised if we are even looking qb at this point. I think if smoker has a strong pre season, jamie martin may be gone.

general counsel

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Yeah GC Smokers progress last season was good if he contiues to improve I think you are right Martin would be gone with fitzpatrick no 3