Thread: The case for TO

Draftniksince1985 is offline Registered User

The case for TO

More often than not great receivers start out behind veteran great receivers.

Torry Holt had Isaac Bruce
    Reggie Wayne had Marvin Harrison
    Randy Moss had Chris Carter
    Santonio Holmes had Hines Ward
    Greg Jennings had Donald Driver

Terrell Owens had Jerry Rice. Now he should come to STL and help train up the next household name in blue and gold next season.

Their is no question after last season what TO is still capable of. He could be a real #1 for Bradford for the next 2 seasons. This takes some pressure and coverage off a rookie wideout while we develop him for the future.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Re: The case for TO

You do make a good point. I wouldn't mind having TO, he hasn't had any big issues in the past few seasons. But i would much rather have Sidney Rice or Santonio Holmes.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

The difference I see is that I don't remember any of the other players having their own TV show..or being such a head case. Not really the kind of guy I'd like mentoring young players. If the coaches think he can still play, fine. But I wouldn't bring him in and hope he rubs off on DX or Avery..As far as him still being able to play, he noticeably declined as the season went on, and he's what, 36? 37? I'll take a pass personally. I'd rather spend the money on a quality, young player who will be here for more than 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    The difference I see is that I don't remember any of the other players having their own TV show..or being such a head case. Not really the kind of guy I'd like mentoring young players. If the coaches think he can still play, fine. But I wouldn't bring him in and hope he rubs off on DX or Avery..As far as him still being able to play, he noticeably declined as the season went on, and he's what, 36? 37? I'll take a pass personally. I'd rather spend the money on a quality, young player who will be here for more than 1 year.
    Yeah he slowed down noticeably when he tore cartilage in he knee, played 2 games injured, then missed the last two after deciding to have knee surgery once the Bengals were already eliminated. Before that he was on pace for 1300 yards and 12 TDs. As for being a headcase I saw a different side of TO last year, pushing for more out of his teammates.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Draftniksince1985 View Post
    Yeah he slowed down noticeably when he tore cartilage in he knee, played 2 games injured, then missed the last two after deciding to have knee surgery once the Bengals were already eliminated. Before that he was on pace for 1300 yards and 12 TDs. As for being a headcase I saw a different side of TO last year, pushing for more out of his teammates.
    All good points, but I think I'd still rather avoid him. The Rams did look last year though, so they might again this year.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Also now McDaniels is our OC. Remember wat happened when a different superstar receiver (Brandon Marshall) clashed with him. It was pretty ugly marshall was swatting balls instead of catching them in practice.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

None of those are good examples. In each case, the older receiver was still in his prime. Owens is 37.

I frankly don't get why anyone would advocate signing Owens. For all his stats over the years, what has he ever won? The only Super Bowl he played in was when his team reached the game WITHOUT HIM.

He certainly is not an "old veteran mentor" type.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i`d rather our young wideouts stay under the wing of a true pro like Mark Clayton, he might not be as physically gifted as T.O. but he`s a far better Pro.

i`d consider T.O. as a fitness coach tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i`d rather our young wideouts stay under the wing of a true pro like Mark Clayton, he might not be as physically gifted as T.O. but he`s a far better Pro.

i`d consider T.O. as a fitness coach tho.
    Mark Clayton has yet to put together even one decent season in the NFL. If he is our veteran leadership than we are surely doomed for more of the same.