Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Nick

Thread: The Case for Auburn OT Greg Robinson

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Case for Auburn OT Greg Robinson

Let me preface by saying that if I were to make a Rams big board of draft prospects that I think should be on the St. Louis draft radar, Texas A&M Jake Matthews would be at the top of that list. I believe he represents the best combination of both value and positional need. He is athletic, versatile, technically sound, intelligent, comes from great NFL bloodlines. If he isn't a "blue chip" lineman prospect, he's about as close as you're going to get, IMO. These statements should come as no surprise to anyone who has read my posts over the last few weeks.

However, for as much as I would love to see Matthews as a Ram, I think there is a lot to like about finishing the first day of the 2014 Draft with Auburn's Greg Robinson on the roster.

In the most recent full first-round mock I completed, I had Robinson going seventh overall. I view him as the second best offensive tackle prospect in this class, and worth of a Top 10 selection.

We all expect the Rams to try to trade down from the second overall pick in an attempt to maximize their value. In doing so, they may risk missing out on Matthews. It's unlikely though not impossible that Houston or Oakland take him, while Atlanta has a clear need at the position but are expected to be looking for defense.

Still, if the Rams move down and end up watching Matthews go off the board, I would hope they'll think long and hard about drafting Greg Robinson, because I think as a prospect, there's a lot to like about him and his potential fit with the Rams.

If you're not crazy about Matthews because you don't feel like he has top athletic ability or a lot of upside for the next level, then Robinson should be your man. He boasts a unique combination of size (6'5" & 320 lbs), power, and athleticism, and while he initially was viewed by many as a guard prospect coming out of high school, he projects as being able to man the left tackle spot as a professional after dominating there as a starter in the SEC as a redshirt sophomore.

He is a mauler in the run game, which is going to appeal to the power running philosophy of Jeff Fisher. While he has the physical traits scouts look for in an elite level pass protector, he's still developing the technique that will maximize those tools, as he has only two years of starting experience.

Normally, the lack of experience and needed improvements in technique would worry me. But I think the Rams are in a unique position when it comes to bringing Robinson along and grooming him for the left tackle spot.

The presence of Jake Long at left tackle (though obviously his readiness for the beginning of the year is in question) means the Rams could acquire Robinson and immediately plug him in at left guard. This would boost the Rams' offensive line from Day One by adding a mauling, power blocker to the hole, but more importantly, it would allow Robinson the time to develop his game and train for the day when he'll eventually slide out to tackle and replace Jake.

The Baltimore Ravens made a similar decision with now Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden when he was drafted in 1996, plugging him at left guard as a rookie before shifting him outside to tackle the following year. Similar ideas have been mentioned when it comes to Jake Matthews, either playing him inside at guard or at right tackle, where he has a lot of college experience, until Jake Long has moved on. But the idea works equally well for Robinson, whom some would argue has more upside than Matthews and could find himself in a great position to refine his left tackle skills for the long term while serving as a guard next to Long in the short term.

I for one will be interested to see how Robinson tests this offseason, as I think he's a prospect the Rams should really spend some time evaluating.

What are your thoughts about Robinson and his potential for the next level?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: The Case for Auburn OT Greg Robinson

Assuming Jake Long will be ready in week 1, I'd be all for drafting Greg Robinson. I can see Paul Boudreau tapping his ceiling the same way Mike Waufle did with Michael Brockers and if he does, Snead and Co. will continue to look like geniuses. I like Robinson as a run blocker and Zac Stacy will benefit a lot from his run blocking skills

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    [GR] is athletic, versatile, technically sound, intelligent, comes from great NFL bloodlines. If he isn't a "blue chip" lineman prospect, he's about as close as you're going to get, IMO. These statements should come as no surprise to anyone who has read my posts over the last few weeks.

However, for as much as I would love to see Matthews as a Ram, I think there is a lot to like about finishing the first day of the 2014 Draft with Auburn's Greg Robinson on the roster.

In the most recent full first-round mock I completed, I had Robinson going seventh overall. I view him as the second best offensive tackle prospect in this class, and worth of a Top 10 selection.

We all expect the Rams to try to trade down from the second overall pick in an attempt to maximize their value. In doing so, they may risk missing out on Matthews. It's unlikely though not impossible that Houston or Oakland take him, while Atlanta has a clear need at the position but are expected to be looking for defense.

Still, if the Rams move down and end up watching Matthews go off the board, I would hope they'll think long and hard about drafting Greg Robinson, because I think as a prospect, there's a lot to like about him and his potential fit with the Rams.

If you're not crazy about Matthews because you don't feel like he has top athletic ability or a lot of upside for the next level, then Robinson should be your man. He boasts a unique combination of size (6'5" & 320 lbs), power, and athleticism, and while he initially was viewed by many as a guard prospect coming out of high school, he projects as being able to man the left tackle spot as a professional after dominating there as a starter in the SEC as a redshirt sophomore.

He is a mauler in the run game, which is going to appeal to the power running philosophy of Jeff Fisher. While he has the physical traits scouts look for in an elite level pass protector, he's still developing the technique that will maximize those tools, as he has only two years of starting experience.

Normally, the lack of experience and needed improvements in technique would worry me. But I think the Rams are in a unique position when it comes to bringing Robinson along and grooming him for the left tackle spot.

The presence of Jake Long at left tackle (though obviously his readiness for the beginning of the year is in question) means the Rams could acquire Robinson and immediately plug him in at left guard. This would boost the Rams' offensive line from Day One by adding a mauling, power blocker to the hole, but more importantly, it would allow Robinson the time to develop his game and train for the day when he'll eventually slide out to tackle and replace Jake.

...Robinson, whom some would argue has more upside than Matthews and could find himself in a great position to refine his left tackle skills for the long term while serving as a guard next to Long in the short term.

I for one will be interested to see how Robinson tests this offseason, as I think he's a prospect the Rams should really spend some time evaluating.
    Excellent post Nick on another terrific prospect!

Wow, even as a tentative turn of events or, as a possibility of landing GR, this is EXCITING!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Robinson appears to me to be a project. Magnificent run blocker, not polished at all as a pass blocker.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

To be honest, the first time I really focused on Robinson was in the BCS Championship Game. What I saw was a guy who is an impressive physical specimen, a fully-developed run blocker, and a work in progress in pass blocking (albeit one who will win the majority of battles on sheer physicality).

I didn't see anything on the field that would cause me to put him over Matthews at this point, but I saw enough to put him in the No. 2 spot (above Lewan and Kouandjio) on my draft board.

If a trade emerged that would give the Rams a choice of Matthews or Robinson plus extra picks, I'd make the trade.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Unlike Matthews, Robinson hasn't player RT, where the Rams would be taking him to start. They aren't giving up on Long and are not moving HIM.

Matthews has a couple more years under his belt, plus his intangibles, and the fact that his bust potential is far less than Robinson's, who I also see as being a good bet, but not what Matthews is.

Matthews, Robinson, and Lewan are the top three, and i see about the same space between #1 and #2, as betwenn #2 and #3.

If you have a sure bet (Peyton Manning), it's smart to take HIM over a guy with a bigger "upside" based on physicality (Ryan Leaf).

IF, Matthews is gone by the Rams pick after a deal down, AND the Rams have not re-signed Saffold or know Long won't be back till October, then Robinson would be on the radar, though dealing down again and still getting Lewan might also be an option.
    Barry Waller

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Just saw the latest drafts on CBS Sportsline both mocks have Robinson ahead of Matthews.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Just saw the latest drafts on CBS Sportsline both mocks have Robinson ahead of Matthews.
    I just got done watching a video on NFL.com where Bucky Brooks had the Rams taking Robinson at #2 (with a no trade down clause). Said he was the most dominant.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think he'd be great for us. I posted about 2 weeks ago that I thought Robinson might be a better option for us than Matthews because of his younger age, need to be groomed a bit while we already have a LT and he's better run blocker than pass protector enhancing our run game. Now having said this I still like Jake Matthews and would be quite happy if we drafted him. My only concern is drafting an OL with "potential" as we did with Jason Smith and Alex Barron. On another note Jeff Fisher can get some personal insights on Greg from his son who was his teammate at Auburn.

I think a key to making Greg Robinson valuable to us is re-signing Rodger Saffold to play LT until Jake Long returns.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -01-17-2014 at 03:19 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the biggest draw for Robinson is that he is viewed as an exceptional athlete for his size (6'5, 320).

That extra 15 pounds give him an edge in run blocking. The question will be, does he have the technique to handle speed rushers? Right now, I doubt that anyone would assert that he's anywhere near Matthews' level in that category.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Greg, "es un... hombre grande".

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!