AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

We must all fight against those who will inevitably try to pick apart Ndamukong Suh as a prospect.

It happens EVERY year. There are players who, in November/December, are viewed as premium prospects who... for no reason other than the availablity of a platform for every yokel on the planet with a opionion... are nitpicked to the point where they become UNDERvalued.

For example, last year, Michael Oher was viewed as a top 10 pick throughout the NCAA season. Then, a the season ended and the "evaluation" period began, people began to question him (mainly regarding subjective criteria). As a result, he ends up as the 22nd pick in the draft (only to play like an early first rounder as a rookie).

Who knows how or why it will happen to Suh. Maybe he'll weigh in at 295 instead of 300. Maybe he'll run the 40 slightly slower than expected. Maybe someone will hyper-focus on some aspect of his personality or past. But, mark my words, there will be people who will try to argue that he's not worthy of the first pick in the draft.

If you've watched him play, you know better. If you look at his stats (which are OFF THE CHART for a DT), you know better.

Ndamukong Suh is the best prospect in the draft.

He will still be the best prospect in the draft in April.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

On the bright side, it seems Laurinaitis was one of those as well. Seemed like he went from "top 10" to "top 15" to "1st round" without playing a single game. Maybe because he had been on the national radar for a couple years by that point? Hopefully we are able to snag a good prospect that slips to the top of the 2nd again this year.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Yea but what about his cone drill time? What if he doesn't bench press more than say McCoy? What about his Pro Day times? Don't you know those are weighted more than what someone does on the field?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i think with Laurinaitis (and perhaps other prospects in the past) writers got fed up of writing how good he is..sports and news writers in general love nothing more than to put their name to a scoop and tell as many people as possible that we heard it off them first and well..Laurinaitis was "scooped" 3 years before the draft..it wouldnt shock me if he was good enough to play in the NFL when in high school. i mean come on guys.. we all have probably wrestled or play fought with our dads,uncles etc when we were lil bitty boys ...imagine being a lil bitty boy living in the same house as Animal..having two uncles who were also WWF wrestlers..they must have physically toughened him up from an earlier age than atleast 99% of us were roughed up...kinda like those young boys who were developed at an early age to eventually become Spartans in ancient Greece.
    Curry became the big story because yes he was indeed a great prospect..but coming from Wake Forest..somewhere before i believe was most famous for producing Pro Golfers than Pro Football players..it was a big story that gained more momentum than it possibly should have.

as for Suh he`s a newer,fresher story from the standpoint of what sports writers care about most than Laurinaitis was at this point and they will run with him for a while now then they will undoubtedly try to bring his rising star down and lower his amazing potential to closer than other players currently below him in the rankings..(i think Derrick Morgan could be that player they will big up next..Gerald McCoy could close the gap at some point and maybe Bryant if he has a good combine..)
    but theres very few things at the combine that i care about when goin` in the higher rounds of the draft...i think personally the combine is more useful when used to find gems in the rough in the latter rounds..the kind of players who dont get much if any Big game TV etc..exposure.
    the top prospects will have already proven themselves to be good,great,not so great etc...prospects by then in what really matters..game time!
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -12-18-2009 at 03:49 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Exactly.

Here are the only numbers you'll ever need to know about Suh.

2009 (playing in the Big 12 at the DT position):

13 games
    82 tackles
    23 tackles for loss
    12 sacks
    1 interception
    10 pass break-ups
    3 blocked kicks
    1 forced fumble
    26 QB hurries

The guy is a BEAST.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think our coaching staff is better than that. I think they'll do the right thing and pick Suh, assuming we have the 1st pick.

With JL, we got lucky. He certainly is a 1st round talent and because of these dumb ratings, we were lucky enough to snag him. Let's hope the same happens with some prospects this year too, but first things first: pick Suh.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Exactly.

Here are the only numbers you'll ever need to know about Suh.

2009 (playing in the Big 12 at the DT position):

13 games
    82 tackles
    23 tackles for loss
    12 sacks
    1 interception
    10 pass break-ups
    3 blocked kicks
    1 forced fumble
    26 QB hurries

The guy is a BEAST.
    Looking at that stat line you would think he was 3-4 OLB. Those stats are so good it doesn't even make sense.

If I'm Billy D I'm as soon as the zeroes hit the clock the last game. I'm saying the Rams are of the clock we want Suh, and we have already begun negotiations. We are going to focus on the 33rd pick and FA have a good day.

viper is offline Registered User

The scary part is that we could actually screw this pick up. To me it's a no brainer. But, I will have a few restless nights between now and the draft worrying that we won't take Suh.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Looking at that stat line you would think he was 3-4 OLB. Those stats are so good it doesn't even make sense.

If I'm Billy D I'm as soon as the zeroes hit the clock the last game. I'm saying the Rams are of the clock we want Suh, and we have already begun negotiations. We are going to focus on the 33rd pick and FA have a good day.
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better. The shop better start producing jerseys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Scenario: Roger Goodell steps up onto the podium and says, "With the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, the St. Louis Rams select......Tim "The Cry Baby" Tebow?!"

And then among scarce places around the nation, Tampa Bay fans are quietly jumping for joy.

Please don't screw this pick up Billy Devaney.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We must all fight against those who will inevitably try to pick apart Ndamukong Suh as a prospect.

It happens EVERY year. There are players who, in November/December, are viewed as premium prospects who... for no reason other than the availablity of a platform for every yokel on the planet with a opionion... are nitpicked to the point where they become UNDERvalued.

For example, last year, Michael Oher was viewed as a top 10 pick throughout the NCAA season. Then, a the season ended and the "evaluation" period began, people began to question him (mainly regarding subjective criteria). As a result, he ends up as the 22nd pick in the draft (only to play like an early first rounder as a rookie).

Who knows how or why it will happen to Suh. Maybe he'll weigh in at 295 instead of 300. Maybe he'll run the 40 slightly slower than expected. Maybe someone will hyper-focus on some aspect of his personality or past. But, mark my words, there will be people who will try to argue that he's not worthy of the first pick in the draft.

If you've watched him play, you know better. If you look at his stats (which are OFF THE CHART for a DT), you know better.

Ndamukong Suh is the best prospect in the draft.

He will still be the best prospect in the draft in April.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Haven't thought about this yet but yes very good post and yes everyone will try and disect him and find something ba...maybe that his name is hard to spell so don't draft him? lol

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post

AMEN to this

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Scenario: Roger Goodell steps up onto the podium and says, "With the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, the St. Louis Rams select......Tim "The Cry Baby" Tebow?!"

And then among scarce places around the nation, Tampa Bay fans are quietly jumping for joy.

Please don't screw this pick up Billy Devaney.
    I don't think he's this stupid but if he is I will fly to St. Louis and camp out infront of his house for a months time and scream at the top of my lungs "Suh, Suh Suh"..

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

My only worry is that Tampa Bay will sneak him away from us by being just that little bit worse than we are!!

A-Web is offline Registered User

Recommendation, start a poll over this. Also, have a moderator simply make it against forum policy to talk poorly of Suh. I think this is actually a brilliant idea. Any unsporting comments regarding Suh should be immediately removed for "Slander and Liable"