Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,044
    Rep Power
    165

    In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    We must all fight against those who will inevitably try to pick apart Ndamukong Suh as a prospect.

    It happens EVERY year. There are players who, in November/December, are viewed as premium prospects who... for no reason other than the availablity of a platform for every yokel on the planet with a opionion... are nitpicked to the point where they become UNDERvalued.

    For example, last year, Michael Oher was viewed as a top 10 pick throughout the NCAA season. Then, a the season ended and the "evaluation" period began, people began to question him (mainly regarding subjective criteria). As a result, he ends up as the 22nd pick in the draft (only to play like an early first rounder as a rookie).

    Who knows how or why it will happen to Suh. Maybe he'll weigh in at 295 instead of 300. Maybe he'll run the 40 slightly slower than expected. Maybe someone will hyper-focus on some aspect of his personality or past. But, mark my words, there will be people who will try to argue that he's not worthy of the first pick in the draft.

    If you've watched him play, you know better. If you look at his stats (which are OFF THE CHART for a DT), you know better.

    Ndamukong Suh is the best prospect in the draft.

    He will still be the best prospect in the draft in April.

    Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.


  2. #2
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    On the bright side, it seems Laurinaitis was one of those as well. Seemed like he went from "top 10" to "top 15" to "1st round" without playing a single game. Maybe because he had been on the national radar for a couple years by that point? Hopefully we are able to snag a good prospect that slips to the top of the 2nd again this year.

  3. #3
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    Yea but what about his cone drill time? What if he doesn't bench press more than say McCoy? What about his Pro Day times? Don't you know those are weighted more than what someone does on the field?


  4. #4
    Ramblin` Ram's Avatar
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nation of Rams
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,401
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    i think with Laurinaitis (and perhaps other prospects in the past) writers got fed up of writing how good he is..sports and news writers in general love nothing more than to put their name to a scoop and tell as many people as possible that we heard it off them first and well..Laurinaitis was "scooped" 3 years before the draft..it wouldnt shock me if he was good enough to play in the NFL when in high school. i mean come on guys.. we all have probably wrestled or play fought with our dads,uncles etc when we were lil bitty boys ...imagine being a lil bitty boy living in the same house as Animal..having two uncles who were also WWF wrestlers..they must have physically toughened him up from an earlier age than atleast 99% of us were roughed up...kinda like those young boys who were developed at an early age to eventually become Spartans in ancient Greece.
    Curry became the big story because yes he was indeed a great prospect..but coming from Wake Forest..somewhere before i believe was most famous for producing Pro Golfers than Pro Football players..it was a big story that gained more momentum than it possibly should have.


    as for Suh he`s a newer,fresher story from the standpoint of what sports writers care about most than Laurinaitis was at this point and they will run with him for a while now then they will undoubtedly try to bring his rising star down and lower his amazing potential to closer than other players currently below him in the rankings..(i think Derrick Morgan could be that player they will big up next..Gerald McCoy could close the gap at some point and maybe Bryant if he has a good combine..)
    but theres very few things at the combine that i care about when goin` in the higher rounds of the draft...i think personally the combine is more useful when used to find gems in the rough in the latter rounds..the kind of players who dont get much if any Big game TV etc..exposure.
    the top prospects will have already proven themselves to be good,great,not so great etc...prospects by then in what really matters..game time!
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -12-18-2009 at 03:49 PM.

  5. #5
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,044
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    Exactly.

    Here are the only numbers you'll ever need to know about Suh.

    2009 (playing in the Big 12 at the DT position):

    13 games
    82 tackles
    23 tackles for loss
    12 sacks
    1 interception
    10 pass break-ups
    3 blocked kicks
    1 forced fumble
    26 QB hurries

    The guy is a BEAST.

  6. #6
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,594
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    I think our coaching staff is better than that. I think they'll do the right thing and pick Suh, assuming we have the 1st pick.

    With JL, we got lucky. He certainly is a 1st round talent and because of these dumb ratings, we were lucky enough to snag him. Let's hope the same happens with some prospects this year too, but first things first: pick Suh.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  7. #7
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Exactly.

    Here are the only numbers you'll ever need to know about Suh.

    2009 (playing in the Big 12 at the DT position):

    13 games
    82 tackles
    23 tackles for loss
    12 sacks
    1 interception
    10 pass break-ups
    3 blocked kicks
    1 forced fumble
    26 QB hurries

    The guy is a BEAST.
    Looking at that stat line you would think he was 3-4 OLB. Those stats are so good it doesn't even make sense.

    If I'm Billy D I'm as soon as the zeroes hit the clock the last game. I'm saying the Rams are of the clock we want Suh, and we have already begun negotiations. We are going to focus on the 33rd pick and FA have a good day.

  8. #8
    viper's Avatar
    viper is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,671
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    The scary part is that we could actually screw this pick up. To me it's a no brainer. But, I will have a few restless nights between now and the draft worrying that we won't take Suh.

  9. #9
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Looking at that stat line you would think he was 3-4 OLB. Those stats are so good it doesn't even make sense.

    If I'm Billy D I'm as soon as the zeroes hit the clock the last game. I'm saying the Rams are of the clock we want Suh, and we have already begun negotiations. We are going to focus on the 33rd pick and FA have a good day.
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better. The shop better start producing jerseys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

  10. #10
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,038
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    Scenario: Roger Goodell steps up onto the podium and says, "With the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, the St. Louis Rams select......Tim "The Cry Baby" Tebow?!"

    And then among scarce places around the nation, Tampa Bay fans are quietly jumping for joy.



    Please don't screw this pick up Billy Devaney.

  11. #11
    TheRammer Guest

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We must all fight against those who will inevitably try to pick apart Ndamukong Suh as a prospect.

    It happens EVERY year. There are players who, in November/December, are viewed as premium prospects who... for no reason other than the availablity of a platform for every yokel on the planet with a opionion... are nitpicked to the point where they become UNDERvalued.

    For example, last year, Michael Oher was viewed as a top 10 pick throughout the NCAA season. Then, a the season ended and the "evaluation" period began, people began to question him (mainly regarding subjective criteria). As a result, he ends up as the 22nd pick in the draft (only to play like an early first rounder as a rookie).

    Who knows how or why it will happen to Suh. Maybe he'll weigh in at 295 instead of 300. Maybe he'll run the 40 slightly slower than expected. Maybe someone will hyper-focus on some aspect of his personality or past. But, mark my words, there will be people who will try to argue that he's not worthy of the first pick in the draft.

    If you've watched him play, you know better. If you look at his stats (which are OFF THE CHART for a DT), you know better.

    Ndamukong Suh is the best prospect in the draft.

    He will still be the best prospect in the draft in April.

    Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Haven't thought about this yet but yes very good post and yes everyone will try and disect him and find something ba...maybe that his name is hard to spell so don't draft him? lol

    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post

    If I'm Billy D I'm as soon as the zeroes hit the clock the last game. I'm saying the Rams are of the clock we want Suh, and we have already begun negotiations. We are going to focus on the 33rd pick and FA have a good day.
    AMEN to this

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Scenario: Roger Goodell steps up onto the podium and says, "With the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, the St. Louis Rams select......Tim "The Cry Baby" Tebow?!"

    And then among scarce places around the nation, Tampa Bay fans are quietly jumping for joy.



    Please don't screw this pick up Billy Devaney.
    I don't think he's this stupid but if he is I will fly to St. Louis and camp out infront of his house for a months time and scream at the top of my lungs "Suh, Suh Suh"..

  12. #12
    SWFCRAM's Avatar
    SWFCRAM is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    My only worry is that Tampa Bay will sneak him away from us by being just that little bit worse than we are!!

  13. #13
    A-Web's Avatar
    A-Web is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.

    Recommendation, start a poll over this. Also, have a moderator simply make it against forum policy to talk poorly of Suh. I think this is actually a brilliant idea. Any unsporting comments regarding Suh should be immediately removed for "Slander and Liable"

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Playoff History
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
  2. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -11-23-2008, 08:57 PM
  3. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live, November 6, 2007
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
  5. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-22-2007, 02:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •