Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By evil disco man
  • 1 Post By berg8309
  • 1 Post By Azul e Oro

Thread: The Case For Tavon Austin at 16

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

The Case For Tavon Austin at 16

Only One (Tavon Austin Senior Highlights) - YouTube

If a picture is worth 1000 words, a video must be worth a million.
    I rest my case.

Barry Waller

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Re: The Case For Tavon Austin at 16

his size concerns me but he'd light up the dome

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I am on board. His elite speed mixed with his insane jukes are just too much to handle. Haven't seen moves like that since Faulk/Sanders.

He can show up Day One and make a difference. Also noticed he is very smart about when to make a move and when to give up. He doesn't sacrifice his body unless it's near the goal line. That's why I'm not concerned about his size at all.

For someone as small as he is, he sees the field very well. A true natural, not just a "measurables" guy.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -03-22-2013 at 05:55 AM.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

The more time passes by, The more I actually would prefer this guy, even over Corralle patterson

Patterson only played one year, so we would have to let him take it easy next year like we did with Quick. If we want any results from him, realistically it won't be till 2014. By then Quick could help establish dominance as our PHysical WR, Givens can be our go to burnster. Cook another versatile big target and safety blanket. So it would be best to draft Austin now, and just let him do what Danny did. But a better job at it as he has more physical tools and speed. Which of course will make him automatically our KR and PR too.

If Womack/Coooper are not available. I am all for Tavon Austin and Safety with those first two picks, certainly not in a specific order.

Austin even though small, looks like he is a natural. I was one who wanted Hopkins or Patterson or move on from WR. But the way our team is built, Austin will compliment and take off instantly. So more and more I am all for Tavon Austin

berg8309 is offline Registered User

The problem I have with Austin is that, even with the impressive speed and moves, it doesn't always translate to the NFL. Reggie Bush was a great open field runner in college, but when he got to the NFL, he couldn't figure out how to get to the open field. His sideline to sideline speed just didn't cut it when he had to face NFL talent every week, as opposed to guys who would never sniff the NFL.

Not every electric college talent becomes an electric NFL talent. Now I don't know a lot else about Austin's route running, ability to find soft spots in coverage, etc., so I'm not judging his abilities there. I'm just saying that exciting speed and moves is not enough in the NFL without something else. If we draft him, I certainly hope his game translates, or Shotty is able to develop plays that take advantage of his unique skills.
    citr92 likes this.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    The problem I have with Austin is that, even with the impressive speed and moves, it doesn't always translate to the NFL.
    Meanwhile, Justin Hunter seems to have everything on paper that would translate to a #1 NFL wide receiver if he gets the proper coaching. At 6'4'' and 4.44 40, with great hands, he could be a really great draft pick to me, especially in the red zone.

richtree is offline Registered User

The problem with guys like this are that they need a willing system and coach ... Not many players like this are successful when they are undersized, i.e. Dexter McCluster....

Mostly Percy Harvin / Randall Cobb guys that can play from slot, backfield and movements.../ shifts....

Austin seems to be tough enough....but still small and I think won't be able to play on all 3 downs...

I am thinking of the best comparison for him...and I think it is Darren Sproles...

Sproles is a great player and exactly what Austin will be doing, so if your team is ready to use him that way -- go ahead and grab him....I just think he may not be worth a 1st round pick....especially for a Rams team that has 2 running back that are good on 3rd down already....

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    The problem I have with Austin is that, even with the impressive speed and moves, it doesn't always translate to the NFL. Reggie Bush was a great open field runner in college, but when he got to the NFL, he couldn't figure out how to get to the open field. His sideline to sideline speed just didn't cut it when he had to face NFL talent every week, as opposed to guys who would never sniff the NFL.

Not every electric college talent becomes an electric NFL talent. Now I don't know a lot else about Austin's route running, ability to find soft spots in coverage, etc., so I'm not judging his abilities there. I'm just saying that exciting speed and moves is not enough in the NFL without something else. If we draft him, I certainly hope his game translates, or Shotty is able to develop plays that take advantage of his unique skills.
    I think the main reason Reggie Bush was a bust is because of the way to Saints used him, he went to the Dolphins and broke out.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I ask you all this. WHICH receiver would have the biggest impact on the 2013 Rams??
    I don't think ther e is any question its Austin. These other would be behind the three incumbents and may not see the field a ton, and some fans would probably be labelling them as busts after one year.
    Barry Waller

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I ask you all this. WHICH receiver would have the biggest impact on the 2013 Rams??
    I don't think ther e is any question its Austin. These other would be behind the three incumbents and may not see the field a ton, and some fans would probably be labelling them as busts after one year.
    I'd say D. Hopkins with Austin being a close 2nd.

I really like Hopkins. Hes produced consistently his whole college career and looks to be the most pro ready receiver in the draft. He'd plug in right away opposite of Givens.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I think the main reason Reggie Bush was a bust is because of the way to Saints used him, he went to the Dolphins and broke out.
    I disagree, I think he hadn't learned how to play in the NFL. He couldn't run between the tackles at all in New Orleans, he ran sideline to sideline, couldn't outrun the defenders, and couldn't turn the corner. It was a common joke around here that Bush was leading the league in sideline to sideline yards. When the Saints would give him a run up the middle, he'd just slam into the line and go down. Could be coaching too, but from watching a lot of Saints games, it looked like Bush was still convinced he could outrun defenders to the sideline then turn the corner, and you can't do that in the NFL. I think that's why Peyton didn't rely on him that much. Also, his breakout year was barely 1000 yards, and he wasn't in the top 10 rushing, then regressed to less than 1,000 yards again. He's hardly become an offensive powerhouse.

Sproles, by the way, was used in the exact same manner as Bush, and was tremendously more successful at it.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Pead's college film looks like a videogame,too. Missing OTAs only partially explains his rocky transition.

Assuming Givens & Quick grow into their expected roles & his knee is OK, I'd much rather have Keenan Allen. Steal of the WR crop,imo, if he's there at #16.There's your lost Gibson production and then some PDQ,imo, and a much higher likely ceiling. You use RBs and Givens in the slot to replace the quicks of Amendola- Fisher said as much this week.

Allen played like a man with a mediocre college QB, making the contested NFL-style plays that I think you need to see to get instant AND consistent performance from a rookie. The potential for a big play is always there with a guy like TA but I think Allen would do more to help the entire offense with his versatility on every down.Not a bad returner either.

Of course, I'm a CAL guy so take this all with a huge grain of organic low sodium salt substitute.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-22-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    ....I just think he may not be worth a 1st round pick....especially for a Rams team that has 2 running back that are good on 3rd down already....
    How can a guy that you can line up virtually anywhere on the field except O-line, and who also returns punts and kicks, not be worth a 1st round pick?

Nevermind, don't answer that, because if you live 100 more years, you'll never be able to convince me anyway.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think either of these reasons - immediate impact or fan reaction - are significant reasons to favor one prospect over another.

If I'm the Rams, I'm drafting for the long haul, not simply who can help me the most next season. Suggesting that Austin will be more productive and have more of an impact over the course of his career would be a far more convincing argument to me than favoring him because he'll impact 2013 the most.

As for fan reaction, does it really matter? I'm not trying to be snippy or rude, but I honestly don't see how that should factor in as a reason to go one way or another. The Rams are still showing a lot of faith in Quick despite a slow start and wavering fan support for the pick, so I don't think they'll be making any decisions - nor should they - with the potential fan reactions in their mind.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    Meanwhile, Justin Hunter seems to have everything on paper that would translate to a #1 NFL wide receiver if he gets the proper coaching. At 6'4'' and 4.44 40, with great hands, he could be a really great draft pick to me, especially in the red zone.
    I'm more worried about Hunter's body breaking down than Austins; even though he's 6-4 he only weighs around 190 pounds and gets pushed around a lot when facing physical corners, which we all know the NFC West is filled with