Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By shower beers

Thread: Categories of Need

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Categories of Need

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd expound upon it here.

I view "need" as having three levels:

Category 3: Immediate need for a starter. At this point, I only have two position that I'd assign a Category 3 rating: OG and S.

Category 2: Immediate need for rotation, depth or potential upgrade. I'd assign the following positions a Category 2 rating: QB, RB, WR, OT, C, LB, CB

Category 1: Solid starters and depth in place/luxury position. I'd assign a Category 1 rating to the following positions: TE, DE, DT

While I believe BPA is more important than need, I do think need is a factor.

Agree with ratings?

Disagree?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-29-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    laram0 likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Categories of Need

I think I originally would have classified DT as one tier higher, but with the signing of Carrington, I'm not sure if we would still pursue one. I would never bet against Fisher taking a d-lineman though.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I think I originally would have classified DT as one tier higher, but with the signing of Carrington, I'm not sure if we would still pursue one. I would never bet against Fisher taking a d-lineman though.
    I don't disagree with that. If you think of BPA being rated on a broader scale... le't say, 1-7, then a CAT1 need player with a BPA score of 7 would be a better option than a CAT3 player with a BPA score of 4.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think DT should go up one tier higher as well. Based on potential upgrade. We have solid DTs but could really get an upgrade if a certain player is on the board. I just don't see a C Long or Quinn type pass rusher inside on our roster. I see one solid and young player with upside and stop gap players there that have maxed out.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.

I think the two positions that are most debateable are DT and OT. DT, as some have suggested, could be a 2 rather than a 1. OT could be a 3 rather than a 2 (particularly depending on Jake Long's health).

DE is definitely a 1, and FS is definitely a 3.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd expound upon it here.

I view "need" as having three levels:

Category 3: Immediate need for a starter. At this point, I only have two position that I'd assign a Category 3 rating: OG & S.

Category 2: Immediate need for rotation, depth or potential upgrade. I'd assign the following positions a Category 2 rating: QB, RB, WR, OT, C, LB, CB (Would put WR & C in Cat 1)

Category 1: Solid starters and depth in place/luxury position. I'd assign a Category 1 rating to the following positions: TE, DE, DT

Cat 3: Couldn't agree more. Lost three linemen (Dahl, Williams & Smith) and I think all three can be easily upgraded. Jones could be one replacement but there is a need for at least two more, preferably versatile OLmen. No explanation is needed for S, a need for a CFer that will allow more LOS press from CBs is needed. That is self evident.

Cat 2: Barkdale is a FA next year and I think he can be upgraded. Long will eventually need replacing. Hill is old and a youngster whose floor is Clemmons level can be acquired. I probably have too much faith in the current WRs, to which Brit has been added. I think depth at C may already be on the roster in for form of Jones, and I probably have to much faith in that too.
    Semper Fi!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Hard to argue with your rankings/ratings. As you say BPA trumps most of this anyway. Based on where we are as a team in a very tough division, facing a tough schedule, whatever players we can draft that make us better and potentially get us ahead of the 3 other teams in our division should be our guiding strategy for this draft.

We do need to recognize that perhaps our best off-season move was getting Gregg Williams and he may change our priorities on defense. That means more emphasis on the front 7 to attack the QB because we'll be blitzing like crazy next year.

Go Rams!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

MDE, I'm sorry but when I read the line about more emphasis on the front seven, all that ran through my head was "Find a good FS and then some workout wonder types on day three who can just ran at the Oline."
    I believe!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Here's a thought. If a need, say FS, is a 3, but at our pick the bpa who is far superior is a 2 or 1, do we go 3 to fill that position right away with the best, yet far inferior player as opposed to the bpa in a different area, or do we go bpa and take the chance that a tier 2 style FS would be at our next pick? I tend to fall in the latter, but see the logic of the former.