Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mikey

Thread: CB Justin Gilbert visiting St. Louis on Monday

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

CB Justin Gilbert visiting St. Louis on Monday

OSU Sports: NFL-bound Justin Gilbert says Cowboys may be better than you think
    Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 8:37 pm | Updated: 8:45 pm, Fri Mar 28, 2014.
    By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer | 0 comments

Former Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden watched the Cowboys practice Thursday and volunteered his thoughts.

On Friday, it was former OSU cornerback Justin Gilbert’s turn.

A possible first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, Gilbert watched spring practice along with nearly 150 high school coaches who were attending an OSU coaching clinic.

Next season is expected to be a rebuilding year for the OSU defense because Gilbert is among seven starters lost on that side of the ball. Only two returning starters are back in the back seven of the defense, including Kevin Peterson, who started at the “other” cornerback spot in 2013.

Gilbert, in a question-and-answer session with a member of the sports information department, was asked what fans should expect from Peterson next season.

“We always joke around, and I think he’s going to try to compare himself to me and the way that I played last year,” Gilbert said.

“He’s very capable of doing that. Also, Ashton Lampkin and others, those guys are big guys, big corners who have that athletic ability to make a play on the ball and put the team in a better situation. I don’t think, with me leaving, we’re going to lose much because of those guys. I think they’ll do well.”

Other Gilbert questions:

Was it the right decision to return for your senior season?

Gilbert: “Oh yeah. I knew I made the right decision coming back, because I didn’t have the year that I wanted to have my junior year. To come back and be around these guys that I came in with, I knew the heart they have to go out every day and play on Saturday for each other. That’s just something that I wanted to continue to be around. Coming back for another year, it couldn’t hurt me, it could only do me right.”

What are your expectations for OSU next season?

Gilbert: “I’m hoping for the best. I know we have a lot of talent.... (including) a lot of young talent people don’t know about, so I think it will be a lot better than what people think is going to happen.”

Who are some young players who could step up that people may not know about yet?

Gilbert: “Guys who didn’t really make too many plays last year that people don’t know about are probably (Brandon) Sheperd, Marcell (Ateman) and I think (Ra’Shaad) Samples. He can make a lot of plays.” (Sheperd, Ateman and Samples are receivers.)

Where are you at in preparing for the draft?

“Monday I’m leaving to go to St. Louis for a couple of days and then I go to Detroit. I think I’m off next week until Thursday and then I’m going to Minnesota or somewhere. I know I have Minnesota, St. Louis, New York Jets... there’s a couple of teams I’m lined up to go visit. Right now it’s just me visiting teams and interacting with those coaches and GMs.”

OSU coach Mike Gundy also took questions from a sports information official following the closed practice and his responses were relayed to the media Friday night.

“We had a lot of high school coaches here with our clinic and our players continue to work hard and we had some guys show up,” Gundy said.

“Tyreek Hill made a few plays today running the ball. Sam Wren made some plays on defense. Tre Flowers made a couple plays, one of our young safeties. I thought that Lampkin had a good day at the corner spot and I really thought that our second-team offensive line, who are mainly new guys, fared pretty well today in pass protection. They have a real challenge against our defensive front, (which is) the one area where we’re pretty mature as a team. I thought that they had a good day.”

J.W. Walsh, Daxx Garman and Mason Rudolph are in contention for playing time at quarterback.

Gundy said Walsh ran the ball effectively, Garman had a nice day throwing and Rudolph fared pretty well, though he continues to make mistakes that go along with youth.

“I thought Rennie Childs ran the football well today,” Gundy said. “So overall we had a good day. The fourth day of the week is at times a little bit of a strain on them just from the wear and tear, because we go pads in the spring, but it was a good practice.”

Gundy was asked about whether the practice spectator (Gilbert) made a good decision in returning for his senior season and said this:

“Well there’s no question. Justin did not have a very good junior season. As I’ve said before, I think he was influenced by outside sources and I’m just elated about him coming back and listening to the people that could really help him with his career and (he) worked hard and kept his mouth shut and obviously it’s going to pay great dividends for him. The guy’s going to be a top-six, top-eight, top-10, top-12 pick.... somewhere way up there, a first rounder. He’s a true success story, just a quarterback from Huntsville that got swapped over to defense and ended up being a first-round pick.”

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: CB Justin Gilbert visiting St. Louis on Monday

I think he would be too tempting to pass up if he were there at #13. I also could see him being the guy if we traded back farther than we are expecting, with say the Vikings at #8. I'm a big fan of his.

chiguy is offline Registered User

If we can't get a WR at #13, I'd say he jumps up to the top of list pretty quickly. I know a lot of people want a safety, but nothing I've read seems to suggest the FSs this year are really worth a pick in that area.

To me, if we're talking best DB available with the 13th pick, then Gilbert, Dennard, and Clinton-Dix are all in contention. It's possible Pryor is as well, though I'm not quite as high on him there as the three others.

I could see Gilbert being a fit for Minnesota, Detroit, or Tennessee. I don't think the Giants have a big need there, but they would be a good spot for another CB-needy team to trade up to in order to leapfrog the Rams if Gilbert is still on the board.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    To me, if we're talking best DB available with the 13th pick, then Gilbert, Dennard, and Clinton-Dix are all in contention. It's possible Pryor is as well, though I'm not quite as high on him there as the three others.

I could see Gilbert being a fit for Minnesota, Detroit, or Tennessee. I don't think the Giants have a big need there, but they would be a good spot for another CB-needy team to trade up to in order to leapfrog the Rams if Gilbert is still on the board.
    Agree 100%. Though lately I've been thinking CB in the 1st FS in the 2nd. Just because I like the FS that should be available in the 2nd more than the CB we could take there. I know that's not the way to draft my amateur draft mind just gravitates to thinking that way.
    sashadpb and Randart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Agree 100%. Though lately I've been thinking CB in the 1st FS in the 2nd. Just because I like the FS that should be available in the 2nd more than the CB we could take there. I know that's not the way to draft my amateur draft mind just gravitates to thinking that way.
    I've found myself thinking the same thing as well at times. But I think it could go either way. Yeah, I like Day Two safeties like Ward, Bucannon, and Brooks, but I'm also intrigued by some Day Two corners in Desir, Jean-Baptiste, and McGill.

I'm probably higher on Dennard than I am any first round DB though, so I'd love to see the Rams go that direction first, and then maybe grab Brooks or Bucannon in the second at FS. But I'd be fine with Gilbert or Clinton-Dix as well. I don't think this draft has a legit Top 10 DB, but these guys start becoming nice values as we enter the teens where the Rams pick.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've found myself thinking the same thing as well at times. But I think it could go either way. Yeah, I like Day Two safeties like Ward, Bucannon, and Brooks, but I'm also intrigued by some Day Two corners in Desir, Jean-Baptiste, and McGill.

I'm probably higher on Dennard than I am any first round DB though, so I'd love to see the Rams go that direction first, and then maybe grab Brooks or Bucannon in the second at FS. But I'd be fine with Gilbert or Clinton-Dix as well. I don't think this draft has a legit Top 10 DB, but these guys start becoming nice values as we enter the teens where the Rams pick.
    I've had the thought lately a lot that Dallas might want to trade up to 13. We've traded with them before and they have a lot of needs on defense. Especially DLine for somebody like Donald or Ealy.