Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

CB options if we lose Bartell

who is there? who on the roster could step up?
    im interested to see what Tye Hill can do in a new system, and Justin King will hopefully be able to contribute

but what free agents could possibly start for the Rams?

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: CB options if we lose Bartell

You're looking at a pretty thin free agent pool, full of talent approximately the same. It looks like we're going to have to spend about as much money on Bartell as on any other CB who plays at his level, and I'd much rather keep him than start anew with somebody else.

The only one I'd really like a look at is Jabari Greer from Tampa Bay. Maybe Dominique Foxworth from Atalanta, too.

As far as Hill and King are concerned, I'm going to exert a lot of caution. It's easy to throw Corey Webster in as an example of an average DB who became excellent in a Spaguolo defense, but I'm not qualified enough to speak on the level of talent Webster has as opposed to Hill, who can run with, but not cover, anyone.

after a bit of research it seems that there is the option of Bryant McFadden and Philip Buchanon alongside the guys you already mentioned

Also, two potential trade targets are Leigh Bodden from the Lions and Lito Sheppard from the Eagles. But i dont know what kind of draft pick they would demand

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I think Sheppard could be had for a third round pick at this point, maybe something later plus Holt if they don't get a WR in FA. Greer is from Buffalo but that's not important. Foxworth is interesting, I thought he was going to beat out Darrent Williams in Denver for the second corner spot, guess he fell out of favor, as he was easily traded for a 7th round pick.

I wouldn't be that upset if Hill didn't get to play in St. Louis this year, I do think he should get one year to see if he can't thrive in a different system. BBQ I think at this point we could say Corey Webster is more talented than Tye Hill. Absolutly not faster, just proves that great timed speed doesn't translate into talent. I'd like to see Ricky Manning Jr. stick around and see what he can do. I did like him in Carolina...

The Lions are looking really freaking hard for a corner, I don't think they'd be willing to trade their starter. McFadden would probably command the same type of money Bartell wants, Buchanon...I don't know I'll let someone else like Nick answer that one. Bartell did say when he was drafted he thought he was better than the second round and thought he'd go in the middle to late first. Maybe it's gone to his head.

McFadden is indeed one of the top two corners available, so probably could get the same money as Bartell. I just hope if we do want to spend that money that we give it to Bartell.

Having just looked, we wouldnt need to trade for Bodden, as he was released by the Lions. I knew he was available in some way! After a poor year in Detroit, he could be had a a cheaper starting CB option

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    McFadden is indeed one of the top two corners available, so probably could get the same money as Bartell. I just hope if we do want to spend that money that we give it to Bartell.
    McFadden, I believe, is restricted. That means we'd have to give up a pick to get him. I don't know what the tender on him is, but presumably, it's high.

i dont think he is, everywhere i have looked has him as a UFA

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Buchanon...I don't know I'll let someone else like Nick answer that one.
    I'll do my best (admittedly condensed) Seiler impression, promise.

Buchanon hits hard and has decent speed but probably isn't a starting option long term at 29 years old. He hasn't played for a Spagnuolo team before and was a major flop in Houston before undergoing somewhat of a revival in Tampa Bay the last three seasons. A decent player, no doubt, but won't be a defensive cornerstone line Bartell could continue to become.

i agree with you there

however if we arent willing to pay Bartell to be a cornerstone on our defence, then i think we will be looking for a serviceable starting CB to play solidly for a couple of seasons while we look for that shutdown corner. basically someone similar to Fakhir Brown.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Well then we can ignore what I said about Bodden, McFadden is indeed a UFA. But I would also rather give the money to Bartell than McFadden. Also McFadden played where he didn't have to cover for that long given the great pass rush of the Steelers. Not saying that should be a difference maker, but it's something to think about.

I didn't think Buchanon was that great. If it was Ray Buchanon I'd reconsider. There doesn't seem to be a real good corner that has played for Houston. Dunta Robinson is their best, no doubt he's good but it just seems like he's an underacheiver. This is completely unrelated to the Rams at this point.

In conclusion Bartell seems to be our best option, don't know why we didn't throw more than $6 million a year at him. Anyone else have midterms tomorrow their sick of studying for? (tomorrow for me is apparently in 4 hours...)

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i dont think he is, everywhere i have looked has him as a UFA
    Right you are. Stand corrected.

What I don't understand about signing a player like Buchanon is you're effectively creating a scenario like the Bartell scenario you have at the moment. You get a serviceable vet to play alongside a guy who you hope will become a shut down corner, and when he does... you don't do everything you can to re-sign him.

It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Right you are. Stand corrected.

What I don't understand about signing a player like Buchanon is you're effectively creating a scenario like the Bartell scenario you have at the moment. You get a serviceable vet to play alongside a guy who you hope will become a shut down corner, and when he does... you don't do everything you can to re-sign him.

It makes no sense.
    i think the FO is thinking we have a lot of holes to fill and they cant throw a lot of money at one guy. I disagree, and think you need to keep your known playmakers.

Weddle is offline Registered User

Florio over a PFT is saying that the Rams are talking with Philip Buchanon of the Buccs which I think is a solid move, IF we are to lose Bartell.

I've also found him a serviceable FF corner. Makes decent tackles and a few interceptions. Better than a lot of the dross on the market. If he isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, might be worth it.

I'd still like Chris McAlister personally!
    Last edited by Weddle; -02-27-2009 at 08:26 AM.

McAlister is just too injury prone to give him any money to be a starter, as he wont make it through a season i dont think

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I agree with Weddle Mcallister would be a suitable back up if we can't sign Bartell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast