Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Upgrade?

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

CB Upgrade?

I know its not a dire need but Chris Carr, soon-to-be free agent from the Ravens looks likes hitting the market for a starting role, with the backlog of CB's on the Ravens roster and drafting one in the 1st round, might not leave him with much motivation to stay.

Hes not a superstar so shouldnt cost as much, but im a believer that with CB's, depth is important and of the few games i've seen him play, he's no slouch and would warrant a starting CB spot.

But yeah, there are many bigger holes to fill.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: CB Upgrade?

He wouldn't get a starting spot here. He would have to fight for the NICKEL spot...not even a starting role. There is no difference between him staying with the Ravens or coming here. Frankly, I'd rather just have Fletcher and Bartell starting with King/Butler/Murphy playing nickel and dime.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Bartell and Fletcher, believe or not, are quickly becoming one of the NFL's fiercest tandems. That being said, depth is always important. If our nickels get burned continually this season, I can't help but think that it'll become a position seeking an upgrade.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I do believe our starting corners could be very good this season.! As for depth, corners always seem to go down with injuries so YEAH. I do not want to see a repeat of Dockery in SAN FRAN last season.?

npow81 is offline Registered User

Chris has made it clear he wants to start, and he wants to get paid. He wouldn't start here, and paying him what he probably deserves probably isn't in the interest of Rams considering the other needs that are more dire.

In addition, there is a long list of failures of FA signees from Baltimore (and Pittsburgh for that matter) where that players primary success has came as a part of those defenses, i.e. when you have Ed Reed sitting over the top of you in coverage it makes you look pretty good no matter who you are

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Didn't we get Jonathan Nelson and Mikail Baker to replace Dockery and Q. Butler?

Vert314 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    Bartell and Fletcher, believe or not, are quickly becoming one of the NFL's fiercest tandems. That being said, depth is always important. If our nickels get burned continually this season, I can't help but think that it'll become a position seeking an upgrade.
    are Bartell and fletcher actually good? I knew bartell was but what about fletcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Vert314 View Post
    are Bartell and fletcher actually good? I knew bartell was but what about fletcher?
    Fletcher is an up and coming youngster who showed promise and flashed pro bowl potential last season. Fletcher and Bartell are easily a top 15 cornerback tandem.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm not nearly as confident in our corner tandem as many in this thread, mainly on the Fletcher part of it(Fitzgerald has said a few times that Bartell is one of the hardest corners he faces), but short of a massive upgrade at the position(Asomugha or Joseph), I think we need to roll with who we have for at least our starters, and at best pick up a cheap nickel. If we demote Fletcher for someone not much better than him, then we stunt his growth into what could make our corners top 15 or better.
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I'm not nearly as confident in our corner tandem as many in this thread, mainly on the Fletcher part of it(Fitzgerald has said a few times that Bartell is one of the hardest corners he faces), but short of a massive upgrade at the position(Asomugha or Joseph), I think we need to roll with who we have for at least our starters, and at best pick up a cheap nickel. If we demote Fletcher for someone not much better than him, then we stunt his growth into what could make our corners top 15 or better.
    Can you tell me Teke what you do not like about Fletchers play.? He was also coming off a terrible injury and should be even better this year.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It's not that I don't like his play, it's that he is still young and coming into his own. That's why I said we would need a major upgrade, such as one of the top two available corners, IF we were to go after someone.

I actually think that Fletcher can be a very good corner and anything other than the best needlessly stunts his development. He actually was top 10 in YAC according to football outsiders and ranked 41st in their corner "Success Rate" stat. I'm sure his stats are also hurt by the fact that Bartell ranked 5th in YPA and in Success Rate.

With a quick pass rush and at least one good safety, I definitely think we can have a very good pass defense going forward.
    I believe!

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I think we will look for a solid player to add depth to our secondary, but not anyone that has a big enough name to get paid the big bucks.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Our starting corners are fine, but I wouldn't turn down an upgrade at the nickel spot. King/Dockery/Murphy haven't exactly locked down that role, IMO.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I'm not a fan of Fletcher at all. That being said, I think Bartell is amazing! Physical DB who plays exceptional in coverage as well. I Would love to see us upgrade from Fletcher. Not saying he's terrible, but I think there are better options for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Fletcher at all. That being said, I think Bartell is amazing! Physical DB who plays exceptional in coverage as well. I Would love to see us upgrade from Fletcher. Not saying he's terrible, but I think there are better options for us.
    I hope this is the first and last time I run across something like this. Whats not to like? He came of a serious ACL tear and had a terrific season intercepting 4 passes, 11 passes defended, and was every bit as physical as Bartell. They are the perfect tandem because they fit our scheme so well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast