Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CB Upgrade?

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Re: CB Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I hope this is the first and last time I run across something like this. Whats not to like? He came of a serious ACL tear and had a terrific season intercepting 4 passes, 11 passes defended, and was every bit as physical as Bartell. They are the perfect tandem because they fit our scheme so well.
    I think he's just a down graded version of Bartell. Not as physical, and he doesn't make up for it with any quickness. All I saw from him last year were a bunch of pass interference calls and losing out on jump balls. He has showed a couple moments of brilliance, and I credit him for it, but like I said, I just feel there is something better out there at a great value.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Re: CB Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    I think he's just a down graded version of Bartell. Not as physical, and he doesn't make up for it with any quickness. All I saw from him last year were a bunch of pass interference calls and losing out on jump balls. He has showed a couple moments of brilliance, and I credit him for it, but like I said, I just feel there is something better out there at a great value.
    Not as physical? - There's a list on FootballOutsiders that showed that Fletcher was the best tackling DB in the NFL last year. Another list shows that he was 7th best in YAC (2.2 yards), meaning when his receiver got the ball, he took about 2 steps before Fletcher put the hit on him.

Bunch of Pass Interference calls? - Fletcher had 6, count 'em, 6 penalties against him all season, and those penalties resulted in a whoppin' 59 yards for the offense. For reference, Bartell had 9 penalties for 74 yards.

Long Jump Balls? - Uhh... Can't really find any stats on this one... Ha. Were there any notable jump balls he lost that escape my memory?

I'm not saying that Fletcher is better than Bartell, because Bartell was one of the NFL's best cover corners last year. But don't downplay Fletch, especially when considering that last year was essentially his rookie year. Don't forget what happened the game Fletcher was taken out of our starting lineup: Kevin Dockery was promptly burned for 65 yards during the first ***** game, a game that we likely win if Fletch starts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12