AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Chances of WRs being taken before Rams pick at #14

Assuming no trades, which of the first 14 teams on the board might be in the market for a WR in Round 1?

1. Carolina Panthers - Maybe
    While the Panthers need receivers, if Andrew Luck declares I doubt they'd take A.J. Green with the first pick. If Luck stays in school, and the Panthers still have faith in Clausen (may depend on new HC), Green could be considered.

2. Denver Broncos - No
    If its one thing the Broncos don't need, its WRs. They'll probably go defense with this pick.

3. Buffalo Bills - Unlikely
    The Bills WR corps is clearly not the team's greatest weakness. They could very well be in the market for a QB, and certainly could use help on defense.

4. Cincinnati Bengals - Maybe
    This depends, in large part, on what happens with Ochocinquo and Owens. If either departs, and Green is there, I could definitely see them pulling the trigger. If Green is already gone, I don't think they'd take Jones or Blackmon this high.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Unlikely
    They need a QB and, as long as Larry Fitzgerald stays, WR is not the priority.

6. Cleveland Browns - Definite Possibility
    This is the latest I could see Green going. Again, though, I don't think Jones or Blackmon would be selected this high.

7. San Francisco Niners - Unlikely
    I have to believe a new HC means a new QB. Even if the top two QBs are gone by this point (i.e. Luck, Mallett), I could see them going with Newton or Locker.

8. Tennessee Titans - Unlikely
    Kenny Britt gives the team a decent No. 1 WR, and, once again, QB may be a consideration here.

9. Dallas Cowboys - No
    No way the Cowboys spend another first round pick on a WR after taking Dez Bryant in Round 1 last year.

10. Washington Redskins - Maybe
    While Washington has QB issues, an early run on the top QBs in the class could cause them to look at the WR position instead, if they don't trade down.

11. Houston Texans - No
    They may want to take defensive players with EVERY pick they have.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Unlikely
    Another team with QB issues (wow, there are a lot of those at the top of the draft!). If Sidney Rice leaves in FA, there is an opening at WR, but I don't think that is their top need by any means.

13. Detroit Lions - No
    I'd be shocked if the Lions don't go OL or DB with this pick.

So, I'd say that, in the end, if the "big 3" (Green, Jones, Blackmon) all declare (and all test as expected at the Combine/workouts), I'd say the Rams have (1) little, if any, chance at Green, (2) a very good chance at the second ranked WR, and (3) an extremely good chance of landing one of the big 3.

Given this, I think we may have a situation in which the biggest NEED and the BPA conveniently intersect at the Rams' selection.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Chances of WRs being taken before Rams pick at #14

Hah, great post, I was just looking at the draft order evaluating team's WR needs. The 3 teams I worry about are the Bengals, Browns and Redskins. But it takes just one of them to pass on a receiver and I think the Rams will have their new No.1 receiver.

However, a lot can change between now and the draft, this time last year I was sure Suh was going to become a Ram. The Bengals reportedly want to restructure Palmer's contract which he is unwilling to do so they could be looking QB by the time April rolls around. Redskins have a horrible defense so could be looking to improve that side of the ball. I can't honestly think of another direction the Browns will go in but they'll have a new headcoach by then so who knows what he'll want to do.

As long as the Rams get one of Jones, Green or Blackmons I'll be happy.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I mostly agree with this. Shanahan has made it clear he's in the market for a new quarterback, but there are probably four or five teams that pick before the Redskins who could also go that direction. They could definitely use an improvement at receiver, as could the Bengals and Browns. I think the Bills are also a very real possibility; they are not that strong at receiver and could just go best player available, which might mean Green.

If Blackmon and Jones aren't great value at #6, I could see the Browns trading out of the #6 spot and still taking one of them before we pick.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I mostly agree with this. Shanahan has made it clear he's in the market for a new quarterback, but there are probably four or five teams that pick before the Redskins who could also go that direction. They could definitely use an improvement at receiver, as could the Bengals and Browns. I think the Bills are also a very real possibility; they are not that strong at receiver and could just go best player available, which might mean Green.

If Blackmon and Jones aren't great value at #6, I could see the Browns trading out of the #6 spot and still taking one of them before we pick.
    I'm not so sure that the Bills would get a receiver, they have a lot of holes and with Evans and Johnson I think another receiver would be a luxury pick. Having said that they did take Spiller last year even with Jackson and Lynch on the roster. But I think the Bills will look for help in the trenches be it on the offense or defense.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Today on sportscenter Todd McShay revealed his top 5 draft pics & has no WR's going in the top 5 (which is actually a huge possibility this year). Regardless of this fact I still see Green going to Cleveland at #6 (they desperately need help at the WR position) I can't see coach Holm allowing this type of rare talent to slip by him if he falls into his lap at pick #6.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Yea what do u think the chances of the Rams jumping 10 picks and trading with the Bengals (who dont like spending money anyway) to take AJ Green?

Systemlangstaff is offline Registered User

I just hope the Browns don't draft Julio, they're the only team that would be willing to take that risk of drafting him too high. I got a bad vibe from them, if we don't get a WR in the FA would it be worth trading up, or settle with Blackmon but i like Julio's size and speed combination.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Man I would love to have A.J Green. He is the most complete WR since Calvin Johnson Jr. This guy is going to be something special in the NFL.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Yea what do u think the chances of the Rams jumping 10 picks and trading with the Bengals (who dont like spending money anyway) to take AJ Green?
    I'd say almost no chance.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

it's probably more likely we find a partner to trade down with. we're right in the middle of the draft where teams could be looking to move up to grab one of the qb's or pass rushers available.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree for the most part with your list, though I'd upgrade Cincinnati's interest from a Maybe to a Definite Possibility, especially since it's unlikely Green goes before their pick (barring Luck staying in school). But still, as you point out, there's a fairly good chance one of the big three is on the board when the Rams pick.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Depends on how aggressive Kroenke wants us to be. If he feels that this team can succeed with Green, I bet he's going to tell Devaney to do anything possible to trade up.

Systemlangstaff is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Depends on how aggressive Kroenke wants us to be. If he feels that this team can succeed with Green, I bet he's going to tell Devaney to do anything possible to trade up.
    YouTube - Aj Green 2009 Sophomore Highlights

I hope he's as aggressive as ever.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Superb hands, good after the catch. Love him in Blue and Gold next season, doubt we get the chance.?