MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Chat with Nick Wagoner ..

Nick Wagoner

Welcome everybody to the final Rams chat before the draft. We are less than a week away. We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Let's get rolling...
    Joe (New York) [via mobile]

I know it's probably difficult to mess up this first round, but by this time next week, do you think we'll be extremely happy, content, disappointed, surprised or maybe some combination? Thanks.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:03 PM)

The beauty of the draft is that everybody has really strong opinions on players. I personally don't feel strongly enough to judge any draft right after it happens. But there will be some that are happy, some that are content, some will be disappointed. The reality is that everyone has their own guys and if those guys don't get drafted by their favorite team, they'll be disappointed. It's just how it goes.
    Kent (Albuquerque)

Hey Nick, do you see anybody trading uo with the Rams at #2 in order to draft Watkins or do the Rams grab him?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:04 PM)

I suppose it's possible a team could move up for Watkins but I'm not sure it happens. And yes, Watkins is in play for the Rams. I've got some mixed signals recently on whether they'd take him over a Robinson or Matthews but he's right there in the conversation with them. There are certainly some in the building who favor him.
    otto (colorado springs)

Hey Nick thanks for the chat. Why do I keep hearing that the Rams should trade down to get more pick in this draft. They have been the youngest team for the pass two season and it showed with all the mistakes/ penalties. They will be the youngest again this season. So when is it time to get playmakers over numbers? Plus they don't have a lot of cap space to sign so many players. Beside the Rams need players that can help the offense score points.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:05 PM)

You won't find much disagreement here. Quality over quantity needs to be a priority here. Based on what I've heard and reading between the lines, I don't think the Rams would go any lower than No. 6 in this year's draft if they moved down and they'd have to get a good offer to move. They aren't going to move for the sake of moving but you always have to be open minded in case someone makes you a Godfather offer.
    Adam (Boston)

I feel like the receiver issues have a lot to do with Ray Sherman. The only big WR he has to his name is TO, who, I feel, benefited from Jerry Rice more than Sherman. Our entire offensive staff needs a long look if the O doesn't take a leap this year. A lot of talent and little to show for it. Do you think changes will happen if they start slow again? Thanks Nick.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:06 PM)

Not very likely that something would happen during the season but yes, I think the staff, especially the offensive staff will be under the microscope in 2014. If the offense doesn't make some tangible progress with healthy pieces back in place, I could see some changes there at the end of the season.
    TommyD (San Jose)

Ok Nick, I am ready to turn in the first 3 cards. #2 S. Watkins-WR, #13 Z. Martin-OT, #44 J. Ward-S. What are your thoughts? Let's go Rams!
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:08 PM)

That's the exact first three rounds that Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay did in their live mock draft last night. I like all three picks, especially the first two. I can also understand arguments that go a different way with a tackle at the top, for instance. But I've talked to some NFL personnel types who believe that Martin isn't all that far behind the Matthews/Lewan/Robinson group. In fact, some think he may not even be there at 13. I like Ward OK but it's no secret I'm a Lamarcus Joyner fan and would like to see the Rams pursue him in the second. Deonne Bucannon intrigues me, also.
    L Baker (Corona, CA)

You are still wrong about Mack. You say he is not clearly better than others of more pressing need----WRONG!!! he is a Marshall Faulk a Kuechly. However, I want Aaron Donald! Mack would not have to leave the field on passing downs He covers better than corners. This kind of reporting is why I have come to the conclusion that you are just another media guy. No Offense!
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:11 PM)

Isn't the draft fun? It's all about opinions. I love being told I'm wrong before any of the rookies play a down in the NFL. You know what? I might be. But again, I have never denied that Mack is a great football player. I think he'd be a great pick for the Rams and I have no doubt Gregg Williams could find ways to use him. I don't understand the need to make things personal because someone disagrees with you on the value of a player. And it's not just you but this is a good example.
    L Baker (Corona, CA)

I hope we are able to trade down just a few spots. I know you do not, but I want Aaron Donald with our first pick! You told me {before we picked up Carrington} that we do not need a "DT". I am telling you we do if it is Donald! He [added to what we now have] would give us the best D-Line in football & that's how you improve your "back-end". And our 13 pick Take "OT" Martin if we can not bag Matthews. Next, best Safety available
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:12 PM)

I've definitely warmed to the idea of Donald (as I've mentioned the past few weeks) and I think the Rams would have a lot of interest in him if he slipped to 13. But I keep hearing he's going in the top 10. I don't see the Rams going that way with their first pick, however.

In response to TommyD, I live in New York and am hearing the Giants are all over Martin at #12.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:13 PM)

Yep, I've heard Martin as high as 10 to Detroit. Could definitely see NYG being all over him.
    Doug (Sacramento)

My dream mock draft would look something like this: 1A-Watkins, 1B-Gilbert, 2-Ward, 3-B. Turner, 4-Dozier, 5-Fales. What are your thoughts?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:14 PM)

Not bad though I'd prefer to address the OL earlier if the fit is right.
    JJ (Liberty Twp, OH)

It's been hard to judge Sam Bradford, because he's never had an acceptable offensive line, and he's never had a competent wide receiver or tight end during his tenure. That said, should the Rams get him someone who can actually protect him (Robinson), or someone who can actually catch the ball (Watkins) at #2? Which acquisition would do more to show Rams' management what they actually have at quarterback?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:16 PM)

The interesting thing about this question is that I keep saying that you need to protect Sam Bradford and then offering Robinson as the guy to do that. Honestly, I'm not saying he'll never be able to do it because he has the tools to be a great pass protector but if you expect him to come in and be some Great Wall in front of Bradford in year one or two, especially if he plays tackle, then you'll be disappointed. Now he'll be a hammer in the run game right away no matter where he lines up but if the argument is to take a guy to protect your QB, well, Matthews or even Lewan would be the safer play. To answer your question, both have their merits. I'd like to see what Bradford could do with a top receiver, that's just me, though. But as I've said all along, I think they'd do well to come out with any of the group of Watkins, Robinson, Matthews and to a lesser extent Lewan.
    Travis (Lowell, AR) [via mobile]

Last year the Rams went to WV to see Tavon, but fell in love with Stedman Bailey as well. Who is this year's Stedman?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:17 PM)

Good question. They're on the road right now looking at prospects for their final evaluations. Guess we'll find out next week.
    Cameron (St. Louis, MO)

How do you think Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead will fit into the Rams' gameplan this year? Or do you think will they make the team at all?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:18 PM)

My guess is that only one makes the roster this year and it could be the one who provides more special teams value. Right now, that would favor Pead but Richardson has expressed interest in contributing more there this year. A return to health for Richardson could also garner him some carries, though. But if Pead is there just for special teams, well, he's a bit expensive for a role that Chase Reynolds can play at a reduced rate.
    Ryan(Ohio) [via mobile]

What's your thoughts if we end up with Robinson and fuller the vt corner in the 1st round
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:19 PM)

Robinson would be a great pick. I like Fuller but I think Rams would tend to lean to a Gilbert type before him if they went CB at 13.
    David Jones (Nashville, TN)

Nick,The Rams started last season with a "spread" type of approach to the offense that put more focus on the passing game. As the season evolved, the offense moved more toward a "ground and pound" game. Was that switch in philosophy more due to Bradford's injury, or because the pass-first offense wasn't working? If the team continues to be a run-first offense, do you think that could be an indicator that a guy like Robinson could hold more value to the team than Watkins?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:20 PM)

Well, remember, the switch in philosophy came before Bradford got hurt. They started running better in week 5 against Jacksonville. But I also think when Bradford got hurt they went to a further exaggerated version of ground and pound. The truth will be somewhere in the middle from what I've gathered in 2014. Yes, the run game will still be the focal point but they'll be more game plan specific from week to week and more balanced with a healthy Bradford.
    James (IDK) [via mobile]

So it's 11:59, if you can be one minute late, you can be one minute early, right?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:21 PM)

Was I a minute early?
    James (SoDak) [via mobile]

Good afternoon nick, say the rams do draft OT with the second pick, do they target one of the lesser wr such as Beckham jr with the 13th pick or wait and take a chance on a developmental type who could be a true no 1. I just don't see the other WR's who may go in first round as true no 1's? Thanks
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:23 PM)

From conversations I've had, my belief is that if they don't land Watkins or Evans in round one, they'd probably wait to draft a receiver. Now, it's possible they could move down from 13 and then the best value would be a wideout later in the first but as we sit here today, I think that's their approach to the position.
    Matt(Colorado) [via mobile]

With the rams looking to add to the DT rotation if let's say ealy, tuitt and easly is there in the 2nd you think they bite and take one of the DT
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:24 PM)

I could see it, sure. Easley could be a major steal if he can stay healthy. He'd be a top 10-15 pick if he hadn't had his injury issues. I'm intrigued by the rumors that Ealy could play 3-technique in the league but I also expect him to go late first.
    Walter [via mobile]

Dennard or Gilbert?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:25 PM)

Theoretically, Dennard makes more sense for what the Rams want to be defensively. Gilbert isn't exactly best used as a press corner. But I think the Rams would actually lean his way over Dennard if that was the choice. Still think it's really close and neither choice would surprise me.
    Robert Sheply (New Jersey)

Do you believe St. Louis should go with a quarterback in the first three rounds or stick with Sam Bradford?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:25 PM)

Both. (Though a QB in round 1 is extremely unlikely).
    Rodney M, Maryland Heights [via mobile]

You do great work Nick.. I read on Walterfootball that the Rams' pick #2 comes down to Mack or Watkins. If true, which one would you prefer? That's a tough choice for me, wish we could have both
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:26 PM)

Untrue. And if I had to choose, I choose Watkins. That hasn't changed. But that doesn't mean I dislike Mack. I think if the Rams moved back a little bit in a trade (say to 5 or so), Mack would be a real possibility.
    Big Z aka the Mayor [via mobile]

If Clowney falls to 2. Do you take him or Watkins?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:27 PM)

They'd probably try to auction the pick if Clowney dropped to 2. Barring that, I believe they'd take Clowney.
    willEYEam (Floody Florida)

Say we don't grab Watkins or any of the top 5 WRs available, how comfy are you with the receivers that we do have?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:29 PM)

I still have my doubts that they have a receiver who can consistently win one on one battles on the outside. Stedman Bailey has flashed some of that ability. Givens can win deep, so can Austin but who is the guy consistently creating separation like we used to see Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt do? I'm not saying that none of those young guys will develop. But this is still a prove it deal. I need to see it before I believe it.
    Otto (CA)

How much did the Rams miss Craig Dahl last season?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:30 PM)

It's funny, I'm sure a lot of people are expecting me to write zero or not at all. But Dahl was actually a very intelligent player who was a steadying influence on the back end. He couldn't cover and he missed tackles but we saw that from Rams safeties last year. Dahl was at least usually in the right position. Not saying having him would have made a big difference (or any difference, really) but just pointing that out.
    JJ (Liberty Twp, OH)

The month-long delay to this year's draft doesn't seem to please anyone except Roger Goodell. Will it be moved back to April in the future, or will it be kept in May under the premise of "the fans are complaining about it, but that means they're talking about it"?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:31 PM)

Good question. I don't have the answer. I hope it's moved back to April. For the record, the Rams don't seem too concerned about it.
    Cody (St. Louis)

Do you think the Rams view Stedman Bailey as a potential starter? If so, I wonder if that influences their decision at #2.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:32 PM)

I think they do. And I think he'll get a shot in camp. His presence could play a part in that decision but really, you'd be doing it based on a projection of what he could be since his sample size is so small so I doubt it's a major factor.
    Walter [via mobile]

How would you rank the QBs?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:33 PM)

Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, Murray would be my top five.
    Guillaume (Paris, France)

Hi Nick and thank you very much for what you're doing!The rams have more pressing needs than picks in (WR,OT,OG,S,CB,QB), and every discussion about adressing these needs is about the first 3 rounds. Putting away any obvious choice regarding a power ranking, which of these positions would you be more confortable to sacrifice?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:37 PM)

They could get by without taking a WR if they don't take one of the two studs at the top. I also think you could make the argument that they could get by without adding a corner. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that if the Rams draft a safety relatively high, they could use McLeod exclusively as the nickel CB. Some at Rams Park believe he's best suited to that role and would be quite good there if it was his primary responsibility.
    Cody (St. Louis)

Do you think the Rams have their minds made up about the #2 pick?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:38 PM)

I actually don't. In fact, I don't think they'll finalize their board until everyone returns from the final private workout tour. So early next week.
    Otto (CA)

Hello Nick. Do you think the Ram would trade draft picks within the division? I'm a ***** fan and the Rams seem like a good fit for the ***** to get their WR or CB. Thanks.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:38 PM)

I'd highly, highly doubt it.
    Walter [via mobile]

Why the hype with Bucannon? Seems like a SS type which we already have.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:39 PM)

He's actually not just an SS type. Plenty believe he can play the other role. Yes, he's a big hitter but look at his turnover numbers. 15 picks and seven forced fumbles is really impressive. And he runs well. I see no reason he and McDonald couldn't complement each other.
    Mike Ofallon [via mobile]

Nick, if the Rams take Watkins at 2, who would they take at 13 if the following players were available:Lewan, Barr, or either of the too 2 safties?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:41 PM)

Lewan in a heartbeat but there's almost zero chance he's there at 13. The two safeties would be in play but I think they'd look at a CB like Gilbert, OL Zack Martin or if he somehow slipped DT Aaron Donald, too. Also, a name to keep in mind that could surprise is Alabama LB C.J. Mosley.
    Kyle Cape Girardeau [via mobile]

Watching the Kiper McShay mock last night made me really like the idea of Watkins/Martin in the first round. Martin could step in at guard and allow Barksdale to play RT. If Matthews is sitting at 9 what would the rams have to give up to make another deal with buffalo, what do you think the drop off is from Matthews to Martin, and could Barksdale move to LG if there is a hole there? As always thanks for answering our questions I enjoy reading your responses.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:42 PM)

Not a huge drop off to Martin but there is one. If Matthews fell to 9, I'm not sure what Buffalo would want in return but I'd think at least the Rams' second rounder to move five spots. As for Barksdale as a guard, as I've written a bunch of times, he's told me that he worked on it by himself last year in the offseason. I wonder if he will again this year. Wouldn't hurt him to get some work in there.
    Eric (Tempe (Its getting HOT))

Wanted to see what you expect from Tavon Austin this year. People were down on his rookie year. I watched every Rams snap last year and i dont put it all on him. He lost some great punt returns due penalty (5-6 penalties on punt returns in a game is astounding). I also feel like Schotty didnt know how to utilize him correctly. When he got into space he was amazing. You cant throw him 6 2 yard hitches in a game and expect much out of it.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:45 PM)

Still think he has dynamic potential. He was coming on a bit before the injury and flashed some of that game breaking ability. He performed about in line with what I expected. Rookie receivers rarely come in and dominate right away unless it's a Calvin Johnson type. But I'll add this too: it's nice to make excuses for Austin like the Schotty one I keep seeing but he simply wasn't very good early in the year. He had drop issues and, by his own admission, it took him some time to get caught up to the scheme. I think he'll be a good weapon moving forward as we saw his comfort level increase and the Rams finding ways to use him that didn't limit him to the slot.
    Doug (MI)

Would the Rams take the Lions' 1st and 2nd rd picks for #2 to take Watkins? I think that's gonna happen.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:45 PM)

No chance.
    Harrison (Maryland Heights, Mo)

If Clowney falls to 2 and we don't trade the pick and draft him, what happens to Chris Long? Trade? Move to the interior?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:46 PM)

Nothing. The Rams find ways to get all three guys on the field.

Between ARI overacheiving, turmoil in SF, and a superbowl hangover in SEA, we have all the reasons in the world to make the proverbial 'worst to first' jump this season. Thoughts?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:47 PM)

Agree to disagree. I think it's going to be tough sledding for the Rams to make that kind of leap, even if they have a good draft that helps right away.

Rams uniforms are always a topic. Any thoughts? I personally like the WVU colors.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:47 PM)

I love the old blue and whites. But I don't have the uniform obsession that others do.
    Armen (Winter Park, FL)

If the Rams take Watkins at No. 2, would they consider moving up from No. 13 to get one of the top OTs (Robinson, Matthews, Lewan)?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:48 PM)

If one of those guys slipped a bit to say, No. 9 or so, I think they'd definitely make the call to see what it costs.
    Chad Gornicz (STL)

Is it possible to trade a player that is drafted on draft day? Say Houston passes over Clowney, the Rams don't get a trade offer becuase teams believe they are bluffing, can the Rams select him and trade him that day?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:48 PM)

Yes. The Chargers did just that with Eli Manning.
    Ray Gee (Los Angeles Ca)

Since when did Doc Rivers become a future HOF coach? When was he even considered an elite coach after his debacle with Rajon Rondo? Too me their is one HOF/Elite coach left, his name is Greg Popovich he coaches the San Antonio Spurs. Who built his team from the top down. Pop just didn't get 3 of the best players in the NBA at that time and win just one championship. Stephen A. Smith could have coached that celtics team to a Ring. Guess that makes him a future HOF coach too?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:49 PM)

Ah, the classic clicked on the wrong chat button situation.
    Chris (St. Louis) [via mobile]

Hi Nick, do you think Les Snead would really go against his consistent sentiments of not needing another receiver, and that he is pleased with the collection of players we have presently. I understand smokescreens are a part of the business, but it may be misleading for our receiving core.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:50 PM)

That whole "we don't need another WR" thing went out the window when they signed Kenny Britt. Also, saying you don't need something leaves wiggle room in case you WANT something.
    Joey Higgins-Luckow (Madison, WI)

What do the Rams think of Brian Quick? Is he still doing well as a developmental project, or have they given up hope on him like the ***** with AJ Jenkins and the Jets with Stephen Hill?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:50 PM)

I don't think they've given up hope but signing Britt certainly sends the message that it's time for him to make a move or get left behind.

Prior to him getting hurt, I can't think of many games that could have been labeled as "Sam's fault" that we lost, even before the shift to the running game. Now, everyone with an opinion and a pulse wants the newest, shiny toy (QB) to take over. Wouldn't that be counter-productive, especially in a year where there aren't any clear cut franschise QBs?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:52 PM)

Which is why the Rams almost certainly won't go QB early in the draft. Also, the Rams keep saying this is the year they break through and make a move. If that's the case, which QB in this draft is going to come in and lead them there? I'd be curious to see if they had a different opinion if they had a shot at a Luck or RG3 (when they were coming out) in this year's draft with this year's circumstances. But those guys aren't out there.
    Harrison (Stl, MO)

Any chance on Texans passing up on Clowney/trading and the Rams snagging him? If we had both him and Quinn then picking up a solid SS, CB, or LB we could have something cooking. Thoughts? P.s If this does happen I feel we should either trade him, even thought he a good player, or move him to the interior.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:52 PM)

I'd be really surprised if Clowney doesn't go No. 1. It may not be to Houston but I think he goes there either way.
    Don Riley (New Jersey)

People are talking about Bradford and not having a line. There's truth there but if you compare him to someone like a Tony Romo. Romo is not a fast runner he's not unsually agile or quick but he has a knack for avoiding the pass rush. He rolls out of tackles and finds a way to complete passes. I never saw that from Bradford he has no true ability to avoid the rush, he's something more like a quarterback you'd see in the seventies or something. He would need a sterling offensive line to be succesful in the NFL today. If this is true to you believe his inability to avoid the rush will at some point lead to his demise (sP?). I mean this is not going to change.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:54 PM)

It could be. And I think that's a fair criticism of him. He's actually a pretty good athlete but ability to maneuver in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield and in lockstep with his feet isn't a strength of his.
    James (SoDak) [via mobile]

Is there any Janoris Jenkins type playas in the draft who have some off field issues who may fall that the rams could possibly be targeting? *deep breath
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:55 PM)

You know, I don't think there are any I can think of off the top of my head. But teams have access to way more info on red flags and baggage than any of us do.
    Alex (kc) [via mobile]

I know you just ranked your top 5 qbs.... However I believe the top 4 of those are not going to be in play for the rams, leaving only murray.... so what is your top 5 aside from the big 4?
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:57 PM)

Well, I haven't had a chance to watch Savage yet but he appears to be on the radar. I haven't really ranked them that far. I think guys like Garoppolo, Savage, Fales, Mettenberger would be around that range. If you go further down the list into later rounds Connor Shaw is an intriguing guy the Rams have interest in. Even Ball State's Keith Wenning is another.
    Joel (Niagara Falls) [via mobile]

Hello Mr. Wagoner, I have a brief and seemingly simple question. I grew up on the Oklahoma wishbone, and bleed a deeper cream & crimson even now. Sam Bradford threw the most pin-point accurate ball I can remember ever seeing, and I cheer for him in the NFL. Q: Is the Rams franchise committed, 100 % to Sam as their franchise QB, and if so, do you think they'll ever procure some speedy targets and better protection for him ? Thank you for your time.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:58 PM)

Well, being committed to a player, especially a QB is a relative thing. I think they're 100 percent committed to him as their starting QB... for now. This is a big year for him. We'll see how much they want to help him about a week from now.
    L Baker (Corona, CA)

Austin was a mistake last year. He could not stay healthy for 16 games. And we could of had Vecarro. So, we would not be looking for a standout Safety this year. And this Draft is full of "Bigger" speed Receivers. Austin is okay, but we could have done better.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:59 PM)

I prefer not to judge a player after one year but Vaccaro did have a good rookie season. Although you do realize that when you say "could have had Vaccaro" they still would have had to trade up to get him?
    Doug (Sacramento)

Nick, People mention us having interest in Manziel if he falls to us at 13. I wonder about T. Bridgewater at 13. I'm not an expert, and I know everyone seems to have soured on him but, I saw three games of his last year and I thought he was pretty advanced. Great head on his shoulders.
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:59 PM)

I just don't think they go QB at 13. Not saying it's completely impossible but it's extremely unlikely.

I know you are a hip-hop head. What's currently on the playlist?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:01 PM)

Nothing much has really caught my ear lately. I've been wearing out some older Common and Talib Kweli stuff when writing up draft previews. Any suggestions?

You made a very good point when describing Dahl in what to look for in a safety. Do you see any athletic Dahl's in this draft?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:02 PM)

People at Florida State speak very highly of the football intelligence of both of the DB prospects that could be of interest: Terrence Brooks and Lamarcus Joyner.
    Ryan (Hanfod)

Hey Nick, what do you think of the Rams taking Derek Carr he falls into the second round. I think that would be good value there.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:02 PM)

I wouldn't have a problem with it. And I think they'd have to consider it though it'd be surprising if he fell that far.
    Drew (Missouri)

I've noticed some of the "experts" saying that the Rams have a need at RT because Saffold is moving to the inside. I thought Barksdale played pretty well last season. Are the Rams looking to replace him, or is he just being overlooked?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:03 PM)

Maybe a little of both. He played pretty well last year but I do think that maybe the extent of how well is a little overblown. But also keep in mind that he is an unrestricted free agent after this season.
    Stefan (San Jose, CA) [via mobile]

Is there any shot the Rams try to trade up into the late first round to grab anyone? Like Shazier or a CB assuming we don't grab one with either of our first picks
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:04 PM)

Never rule out any trade possibility when it comes to Les Snead and Jeff Fisher. Hard to say if they'd make a move that big knowing it would cost them a valuable pick in the third or fourth but it's possible.
    Scott (Westminster, CO)

Did that guy say Khalil Mack covers better than CBs? I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere...
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:05 PM)

Even though he apparently doesn't care for me, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that was hyperbole.
    Scott (Westminster, CO)

O/U on sacks for Robert Quinn -14.5?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:05 PM)

I'll take the over.
    Grant (LA)

Gun to your head - who do the Rams pick at 2 if they can't find a trade partner?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:06 PM)

I really hope nobody puts a gun to my head for that. I'm not sure they even know at this point. I tend to lean toward one of the tackles in a close call over Watkins but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the three were the choice. Cop out answer, I know.
    Scott (Westminster, CO)

Goal for the Rams defense this season - Top 10, top 5, best in the NFL?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:07 PM)

I'll just say this: there's a strong belief in Rams Park that the addition of Gregg Williams is going to be their biggest move of the offseason, no matter what happens in the draft. If that's the case, then I'd think top 5 should be the standard but top 10 would definitely keep them in most every game.
    Walter [via mobile]

Teams that could be looking to trade up to 13? The best fit I can think of is Miami trying to get an OLine piece
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:08 PM)

I could see Miami doing that. Or Baltimore perhaps looking for an OL or a S. Maybe the Jets if they love a WR? Going further back, what if Cleveland passes on a QB at 4 and a Manziel or Bridgewater is there at 13? Maybe they'd move up from 26.
    Tamim (Arlington, Tx)

Nick, do you think that if the Rams do not take Watkins or Evans in round 1, they might consider someone like Jordan Matthews from Vanderbilt? They did well by getting Zac Stacy from there too!
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:09 PM)

I tend to think they'd be out of the WR market for a little bit if they don't take one in round 1. I do think they'll draft one simply because they have 12 picks but not sure it would happen in round 2 or 3. It could but not as likely as other positions.
    Walter [via mobile]

How high would the rams be willing to move up from 13 if "their guy" (whoever that may be) was there?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:10 PM)

I believe the Rams view this draft as having six elite players. If they drafted one with their first pick and then one of those six slipped a little bit (assuming there's no position repetition) I could see them trying to jump up to 8 or 9 for that player.
    Don Riley (New Jersey)

Anyway, I'd really like to thank you for being there for all of us lovable losers and occasional winners.......I myself have done this a couple of other times with other journalists and they never answered my questions in any way. You've always found a way to be optimistic and to get to everyone. And its appreciated. Now my question.........who are your top three players (favorite or otherwise) who absolutely will not be taken in the first round.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:11 PM)

I'll just give you my favorite non first round guys. And this is all in the eye of the beholder: Lamarcus Joyner, Joel Bitonio (though I suppose he could sneak into late first) and Henry Josey (sentimental homer Mizzou reasons).
    Nate (OR)

Hi Nick. If Ryan Shazier somehow falls to the Rams in the second round (I highly doubt that happens), do you think they take him?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:12 PM)

I think they'd be interested, yes. They had him in for a visit and they're reportedly visiting Ohio State (though I think OT Jack Mewhort is of interest there, too). My only concern is that he's a little light and he and Ogletree would be very similar in terms of style of play. Not that they couldn't work together well but I'd wonder how they'd hold up against the run consistently.
    mark (Pa)

Everybody wants the flashy pick in Watkins , but Bradford needs a great line in front of him to succeed. Long is coming off ACL surgery and Saffold is injury prone. Don't you think they need a lot of help up front ?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:14 PM)

Yes, of course I do. I've said all along the offensive line is the area of the team that needs the most attention. But it could also get that attention at No. 13, etc. And again, I have no problem if the Rams go Robinson or Matthews with that pick. It's entirely logical.
    otto (colorado springs)

what's your take on Tom Savage, is he worth a late pick?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:15 PM)

Honestly, I haven't watched much of him. I plan to this weekend and I'll write a little something on him next week. Todd McShay believes he'd be a good fit for the Rams. But for what it's worth, he's going to be gone long before he'd qualify as a "late pick."
    JJ (Liberty Twp, OH)

If the Rams trade the #2, how far down would they be willing to go? It seems to me they've got enough young players, but aside from Quinn, they lack true difference makers, especially on offense. I think they should trade up from #13, not back.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:16 PM)

No further than sixth, maybe seventh if a QB goes early.
    todd san diego [via mobile]

I know you have to mention Kiper and Mcshay in regards to draft projections as you work for the same folks but who are some the analysts not working for espn who's opinion you respect and pay attention to when looking for draftee scouting reports . ...other than your own of course.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:19 PM)

Lots of people out there do great work and I respect all that put in the time watching all the film. I watch what I can but some out there really grind it. I'll start by staying in house and just offer that our Field Yates is someone that people should be reading and listening to. He's outstanding. But Greg Cosell, Daniel Jeremiah, Mike Mayock, Matt Miller, Dane Brugler, Josh Norris are amongst the others that I like to read and listen to. There's also a guy in Houston named Lance Zierlein whose father is an OL expert and he's learned a lot from. He's a good read too, especially when it comes to OL evals. I'm sure I'm leaving some out but I have a lot of respect for everyone that does that and really puts in the work. It's a thankless job because no matter how much effort they put in, people will always criticize them. I'd love it if we all got to a place where opinions on players didn't lead to personal attacks.
    todd san diego [via mobile]

Should the Rams choose Greg Robinson, best guess, where is his home this year? Left guard or right tackle
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:19 PM)

Best guess? Left guard.
    Jack Florissant [via mobile]

Can you give a reaction to last nights 'Kiper and Mckshay Mock' regarding the rams four picks. I feel we couldn't ask for a better scenerio, at least with trades out of the question. We fill our three biggest needs with our first three picks, and I believe all three picks show great value where we took them. Can you imagine a better scenario barring trades? Or even with realistic trades?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:20 PM)

I liked it, especially the first two picks. Joyner was gone in round 2 so Ward was logical. And I don't know a ton about Trai Turner but I like the idea of investing two picks in the first two days on the OL. Spend some good draft capital to bolster that line.
    Mike Alexakis (culver city)

Maybe I am a conspiracy theorist... My theory is that because the Rams completely kicked the Houston Texans so hard all over the field last season that they will not announce anything until the clock starts even if there is early resolution on the first pick. Am I a nut?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:21 PM)

I'm not going to call you names. But trust me, it doesn't work like that. If Houston has been or gets bowled over with an offer, they'll announce it. Until then, they have no reason to put anything out there. They clearly would like to trade down if they can. If not, they'll take Clowney.
    steve (oceanside, ny)

hey nick,When the Rams draft a QB, regardless of when, do you think they would go with a guy with similar skillset as Bradford, to learn as a backup, or do you think it would be for someone with a different skillset, ie perhaps a more mobile guy? I still like Bradford and still think he's the guy but if not, wondering if they change courses or simply try and get a better version of Bradford....thanks Nick
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:23 PM)

It's an interesting thought but I don't think they are sitting upstairs thinking they need to get a guy with a different skill set so much as the guy with the best skill set. It's a generic answer and I don't think they'd mind having a mobile option back there but really when you draft a QB outside round 1, you pretty much have to take the guy you project as having the most potential. It's not easy to find a legitimate possible starter in the mid to late rounds.
    Kyle (Saskatoon, Canada) [via mobile]

Nick, thanks for the chat. There are a couple of prospects that had 1st/2nd round grades but have since been injured ( a guard and corner I think). With ample picks is there any chance the Rams take a shot at one of these guys in the later rounds?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:24 PM)

The old draft and stash plan we saw from San Francisco? Yeah, I could see that as a possibility. Brandon Thomas, the OL from Clemson and CB Aaron Colvin from Oklahoma would both be nice players to do that with. For the Rams, it would depend on how early they'd have to take them, though. They aren't in position where they can afford to get nothing in return from say a third or fourth rounder this year.
    Harry Walker (Sonora California)

Hey Nick, I know I first pick will have allot to do with our stability on the OL line. How far is Long with his rehab, will he be ready by ota? Also what are the chances Harvey gets resigned, and again how is his health as well?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:25 PM)

No way he'll be ready for OTAs. The hope is he's ready for week 1 of the season. We'll see how far along he is when camp starts in July. I don't know how Dahl's health is but I'd imagine he's coming along OK. There is a chance he's re-signed but I think it will depend on what the Rams come up with in the draft. If they land a starting caliber guard, I'd think that door is closed.
    Bob (Connecticut)

I hear a lot about OT's being projected as guards in NFL , I'm thinking some defensive secondary help may be interchangeable as well . Can you see the Rams drafting a CB and playing him at FS this year ?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:26 PM)

I'm not really sure if any of them project like that other than Lamarcus Joyner, who has actually done both at the college level.
    Ed Henderson (California)

Let's say if the Rams were to trade back with Buffalo, and Watkins and Robinson is off the board, can you see the Rams aggressively taking Evans at Number #9 and Matthews or take Matthews or Clinton-Dix with the number 13 pick? What is your theory
    Nick Wagoner

I don't think the Rams would move back that far unless they were blown away. And Evans will probably be gone by 9 anyway.

Where do you seeing local product, Desir, going?
    Nick Wagoner

Late second, early third.
    Paul (Albany, OR)

Aside from Bradford I think the Rams were pretty healthy most of last year until Jake Long went down late. I know we are young, but if we are more banged up this year are the 2's and 3's capable of competing in the NFL? Thank you for keeping us up on all thing Rams'!
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:27 PM)

Well, the O line was pretty banged up all year. First it was Saffold then Dahl then Wells then Long. And Daryl Richardson was hurt in the first game, too. Your point is valid, though. I don't think the depth is where the Rams want it yet.
    Scott (San Diego)

Hi Nick, Less a question than a comment, but it seems like the extra long window between the end of the season and the start of the draft has led fans - Rams fans in particular - to get bored with draft scenarios that make sense. You could argue, for example, that in Matthews and Clinton-Dix, the Rams could walk away with two players whose attributes make them the perfect fit for what might be their two most glaring needs. And yet, if that's who they pick on day one, my guess is you'll be dealing with a fan riot next time you do one of these chats. Do you get a similar sense that the fan base has had so much time to contemplate scenarios that they're likely to be disappointed by reality? Thanks as always for the time.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:31 PM)

It's a valid statement but I'm not sure the extra time has anything to do with it. Here's the thing: fans are smarter now than ever. They watch more football, they have their own ideas on how the team should draft. And they get very strong opinions about players. I personally think that's all great so long as it doesn't become a personal thing. So you're always going to have fans that are unhappy with the draft because the team didn't take the player they want. And that will unnecessarily skew their opinions on the guys that are taken, even before those guys get a chance to prove themselves. On the other side, some fans will be elated with who their team takes because it lines up with the guys they want. The interest in the draft is amazing to me but it makes sense for this reason: the NFL and college football are probably the two most popular sports amongst fans in the country. What's the one event that marries the two?
    Dez [via mobile]

Not necessarily a Rams question, but it is relevant as it affects them and the draft. Whats the buzz youve been hearing about how many QBs in the top ten? Manziel to Clev then Bortles to Tampa or Minn?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:32 PM)

I think two is probably right and your guesses are feasible. I think Manziel goes to Cleveland or Tampa. Not sure if Tampa would take Bortles. And Minnesota hints that it won't go QB at 8 but I could see them doing it. Though I think Aaron Donald makes all the sense in the world in that spot, too.
    JJ (Brooklyn)

if the rams stay stuck at number 2 is there any chance they could take evans over watkins? IMO hes a bigger weapon if you look back tp the NYG first win over the pats is was caz Eli was able to throw the ball up to plax the whole playoffs, it forces a Def double team ever play..
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:33 PM)

Highly, highly unlikely.
    Doug (Sacramento)

Would it be a shock to you if the Rams took a RB in the 2nd round. The kid from LSU is special. Stacy's and Hill would be a punishing duo.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:34 PM)

Yes, it would be a shock to me. They are higher on Cunningham as Stacy's running mate than many realize. I think they could well draft an RB but that high? Doubt it.
    Josh (Irvine, CA)

Does C.J. Mosley project to OLB in a 4-3 scheme?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:35 PM)

I think so. With Rams belief in G. Williams, I think they see ways he can just make players fit and knows how to use various skill sets. He'd play and probably play a lot.

Your buddy JT mentioned that Jones recently looked 'bigger and stronger'. Does that affect the plans for drafting an OL early?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:36 PM)

I should hope not. Saying someone looks bigger and stronger and someone actually being big enough and strong enough to play a lot in the NFL is a big leap. Not saying Jones hasn't made that leap but that'd be risky to pin hopes on how a guy looks without actually playing football.
    Maxi (Boston)

The Rams have a history of shuffling their picks around throughout any and all the rounds in order to get who they want. I know this is a bit of a stretch question but with us having 12 picks, how many players do you realistically see making the roster?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:36 PM)

8-10.
    Ed (Baltimore)

I love Lamarcus Joyner. I know at 5'8 185lbs isn't ideal but I see a Ed Reed type ballhawk at FS
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:37 PM)

Ed, you're the preacher, I'm the choir.
    James (idk) [via mobile]

Who would you rather see run out of the tunnel doing a raw Lewis dance, Barrett jones or Greg the leg?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:38 PM)

Haha, thanks for the laugh this late in the chat. I'm going with Jones. GZ might have enough swag to actually pull it off though I'm sure he'd be bright red.
    Alex (kc) [via mobile]

This Draft process is way to drawn out.... did someone just pull a metaphorical gun to head on a reporter via a chat about the rams? .... may 8th needs to hurry!!!
    Nick Wagoner

Lucky for me it was only metaphorical.
    Ed (Baltimore)

Any chance G Robinson drops to 13 because of concerns about his pass blocking?
    Nick Wagoner

None.
    Alex from Vancouver [via mobile]

My 4 round Mock with no trades and no WRs: 2) Mathews 13) Donald 44) Buchanon 75) Billy Turner 110) Murray. My guess is that the DT and OG positions due to visits will be more important then originally thought. I also think there will be a trade at 2 and that the Rams will draft a WR with the extra pick added from the 2nd or 3rd round. What do you think?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:39 PM)

I could see it with one notable exception: it'd be a big upset if Donald fell to 13 from what I'm hearing.
    Bob (Connecticut)

In a trade down scenario from #2 would the Rams accept value in future years picks , even if they're not #1's , or are they all in for this year ?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:40 PM)

I could see that but usually for a pick that valuable it would have to be a second rounder at worst paired with a bunch in the current year.
    Justin (Joplin, MO)

Hey Nick, say the Rams draft Watkins with the number 2 pick. If the first three tackles are gone, would Martin be worthy enough of the #13 pick? He seems like he could play every postion on the line. Also, what is your opinion of Cody Latimer from Indiana? He seems to be climbing fast. Thanks Nick!
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:41 PM)

Yes on Martin. Personnel types and scouts love him. I think he might not even make it to 13 and if he does, he'd be a consideration for Rams. If they don't take him, I doubt he falls any further than Baltimore or Miami, at worst. Latimer is interesting but a little bit raw. Sounds like he's going in late round one.
    Brian T. Poplar Bluff Mo [via mobile]

Thank for doing these chats. My question is with our Cornerbacks. Do you think that Greg Reid will be able to compete for the third corner and if so is our need for help at corner is as great? I thought that it was reported that he shined at his pro day at Florida State. Do they consider him being out of football for a couple of years a concern where they may think he has some catching up to do
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:43 PM)

I've never seen Greg Reid play football at the NFL level. But I think he should start with making the roster and then we can figure out where he fits in.
    Brett (Boston)

Breaking down the next tier of safeties? Terrence Brooks vs Jimmie Ward vs Deone Bucannon?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:44 PM)

I like all of those guys and can see the fit for each. I'd probably lean Brooks of the three but Bucannon's play making skills intrigue me.
    Jim Richmond (Hanover Twp., PA)

Is there a serious chance of a trade for the 2nd pick? If not, is Watkins the guy here
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:45 PM)

I just don't see much of a trade market developing if Clowney is off the board. Can't rule it out but Rams might have to take less than they'd want to make a deal in that scenario. If they stay at 2, Watkins is in the mix but I still tend to lean toward Robinson or Matthews as being slightly ahead. Think they're splitting hairs so could have difference of opinion in the room come Thursday night.
    David Walker (St. Louis, MO.)

How many years does Sam Bradford have left to prove he can be a starting quarterback in the NFL? If you were the Rams, would you draft a quarterback in the later rounds?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:47 PM)

They're going to draft a QB. We've known that since January. I think this is the real pivotal year for Bradford. One way or another, they have to figure out if they can invest in him long term.
    Curt (NorCal)

Last season, the Rams released a promising pass rusher when they needed to open a roster spot. That move raised questions with a lot of people, including Jim Thomas. However, they kept OT Mike Person, who never played a down. Why? What do they see in Person? Is he really that good of a prospect that you would dump a young pass rusher (the type Fisher loves) showing lots of potential?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:47 PM)

They apparently think Person has some potential. I don't know how else to phrase it. I was a bit surprised too but they kept Person around all year so they must see something.
    Bob (Connecticut)

With contracts given players outside top ten more team friendly , do you think Rams would consider trading #2 to say Giants at #12 , or Dallas at #16 ?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:48 PM)

No. They'd have to be absolutely blown away by a Godfather offer to move that far down.
    Jay (Chicago) [via mobile]

Hey Nick. I really enjoy your work. I know this might seem too optimistic, but do you think there is a chance the Rams could make a trade with Cleveland and land three first round picks? The Rams could land 26 and give up their second rounder after moving back from 2 to 4 in the 1st. Cleveland's history isn't good and they might want to ensure that they get their quarterback before Jacksonville has a chance. It would be great if the Rams could address WR, OT, and S in the first round.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:48 PM)

You're right, Jay. Too optimistic.
    Luiz (Brazil)

Hi Nick! Thanks for doing this. What is missing for TExans and Falcons to finish a deal? Certainly if Atlanta wants so bad Clowney, a deal should me materialized by now. Houston is open to trade; Atlanta wants to move up (maybe the offer isn't good enough?the offer is at the table and are they still thinking about it?). Your thoughts.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:50 PM)

Probably the asking price being met. And Atlanta's interest in moving up might be a bit overblown too. Don't believe everything you hear at this time of year. But as with any possible negotiation, there's always a dance being done.
    Brandon (WA) [via mobile]

Hi Nick. If Clowney should fall into the Rams lap at 2, would the Rams consider trading Sims or Hayes for a draft pick? Clowney would feel much less like a luxury pick if the Rams could fill a position of need later. Doesn't seem to be a lot of depth for edge rushers in this draft, any idea what the Rams could recoup in a trade?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:51 PM)

I don't think they would make a trade, especially not with Hayes but I suppose it's not out of the question. But again, probably not worth worrying about since Clowney is all but certain to go first.
    Walter [via mobile]

Any general non-Rams draft predictions?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:53 PM)

Hmmm... Here's a few: 1. I think at least four QBs go in the first round. Teams will trade up into the first if guys are still on the board and they value that fifth year option. 2. Aaron Donald goes in the top 10. 3. Oakland does something strange (cheating, I know).
    Lee (Huntington Beach)

Nick,I can?t believe the Rams are going to pass on Watkins. It?s been 10 years now thatthey have been looking for a real number 1 receiver. A tackle just doesn?t providethe upside of top WR, one that people feel is the best to come out in 10 years. Watkinswill not only score TDs, he will move the sticks. He is a first down maker for sure. When you do that, you also rest your defense. The Rams need this guy more than they are willing to admit. You can find other tackles even further down in the draft, certainly at 13, but there are no other Watkins types. I think Fisher just doesn?t get it. Your thoughts please.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:54 PM)

Are you upset about something that hasn't happened yet? Copy this question and come back with it next Friday if the Rams don't go Watkins. Then we can discuss.

If you were given the choice to follow any team, other than the Rams of course, who would you pick?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:55 PM)

To cover? Well, I wouldn't mind covering some winning football for once. A Denver would be interesting (and it's a great city). For quality of life? San Diego is my favorite city in America.
    Don Riley (New Jersey )

I hear Robinson's name as the choice but I'd like to make a case for Matthews. Matthews plays you can see he not only understands his position but he also knows where the play is going, he's something like a Quarterback playing the tackle position. He plays like a ten year NFL pro. He also doesn't waste effort, and that type of player is labeled a Finesse player. Which it really is not, its more playing out of understanding than finesse. Also those types of left tackles last longer. They play longer they get hurt less and that is important. I just am hoping that Matthews is the choice over Robinson. Do you see this happening ? Or has Robinson become the clear cut top tackle in the draft ? I really think Matthews will be a better player than D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the Jets (who has never missed a game as a Jet), they have similarities, neither one wastes effort and both have a unique understanding of the position and the players around them.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:57 PM)

Don, you make plenty of valid points and I have trouble arguing with any of it. I tend to think Fisher might ultimately lean toward Matthews using history as a tiebreaker. An NFL personnel type told me recently that he sees Matthews as having just as much upside as Robinson, basically saying that Matthews is really good now but also not a finished product. I think it's tough to determine which way they go between the three of Watkins, Robinson, Matthews but if it's between the tackles, now you're really splitting hairs.
    Alex from Vancouver [via mobile]

Have you heard of any seemingly stronger interest in specific running backs? I haven't heard a ton on RBs for the Rams in this draft but I am sure they are mining one up for the later rounds.
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:58 PM)

I haven't. To my knowledge, the Rams didn't bring any RBs in for pre-draft visits but then there are still a handful of names missing from the list.
    Scott (Westminster, CO)

Denarius Moore is supposedly on the trading block, or will be draft day..Do you consider him an upgrade at WR at all?
    Nick Wagoner

Not really.
    Ed (Baltimore)

Where do you see Joyner playing in the NFL? CB or FS? Why?
    Nick Wagoner

Like the Cards use Mathieu. Safety who moves up into the nickel in those situations.
    Walter [via mobile]

Is Houston's lack of saying who they take number 1 and indication that they're looking to trade?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:59 PM)

Yes.
    Cody (St. Louis)

Gregg Williams has a rep as being "blitz happy". Does this fit in the Rams scheme on D? They have a DL that generates a pass rush w/o blitzing, alllowing them to keep 7 in coverage. Do you think Williams will have to change his mindset?
    Nick Wagoner
    (2:59 PM)

Not necessarily. I think he'll just be able to get more creative with schemes and when he chooses to blitz.
    Scott (Westminster, CO)

Instead of drafting a QB, would you prefer trading for Kirk Cousins if the price is a 2nd or 3rd round pick?
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:00 PM)

Not really.
    Daniel B. (Toronto)

Of the mid-round QBs the Rams have scouted, who do you like best but (if the answer is different) who do you think the Rams ultimately target?
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:01 PM)

I think Murray would be a nice get. Hard to say who they favor because they've looked at so many. I think Savage would be in play, same for McCarron. One name not linked to them as much that could be a factor is David Fales of San Jose State.
    Wally (Beaverton, OR)

Happy Friday Nick!! The Rams have several young OL on the roster, Barnes, Washington, Person, Jones, Hooey...How much belief do they have that these guys are capable of starting or providing quality depth?
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:02 PM)

I don't mean this to not answer your question but I think the best answer we can get is to wait and see what they do in the draft. If they don't grab a couple of OL relatively early, I think we can conclude they have quite a bit of faith in those guys.
    Lee (Huntington Beach)

Nick, who makes the final decision on draft picks? Is that Snead. How do most teams make these decisions?
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:04 PM)

The Rams say that it's a group decision and I think in general that's true. But I believe if it really came down to it Fisher would make the call. That's just my impression of things but I think as a general rule they try to find common ground and make the choice together.
    CC (Atlanta)

I love how everyone says Atlanta wants to move up for Clowney. Word down here is they would be moving up for Robinson if anyone. But either way who really knows?
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:04 PM)

I've heard that too. I also wonder about the wisdom in moving up for that team. Their first 22 looks good when healthy but forfeiting picks means forfeiting depth and they could use some of that.
    Casey (LA)

Do you have any insight about this mock draft for fictional players? I saw it last night and I have to say I was not only disappointed with our no. 2 pick but also that it only lasted 10 picks. If you were in charge of the number 2 pick for this fictional character mock draft....who do you take??
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:06 PM)

I didn't see the fictional mock draft? Is it picking fictional football players from movies and TV? If that's the case, I think I'd lean toward pre-injury Jason Street from the TV show Friday Night Lights. And yes, that pick would be solely made on the basis of putting me one step closer to meeting Minka Kelly.
    Lee (Huntington Beach)

Do you think the Rams look at what the best combination would be for their 2nd and 13th? I really believe it would be Watkins and Martin. Taking one of OTs first just doesn't give a solution to both positions unless you think you would get Robinson/Mathews at 2 and one of the remaining WRs after Watkins and Evans. Your thoughts.
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:07 PM)

I don't know if it's viewed as a combination per se so much as if you are looking at one position at 2 and then realistically figuring out what you could get at 13. You know I'm on board with Watkins/Martin but Rams might see better value in a Robinson paired with a top CB like Gilbert, for example.
    CC (Atlanta)

Isn't it "singing to the choir"? Preaching to choir actually doesn't make sense.
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:10 PM)

No, it's preaching to the choir. The choir sings. The preacher preaches. If you're the preacher and you're talking to me, you're preaching. The idea being that the choir is going to be in church to hear the preacher preach. / Analogy discussion
    Cody (St. Louis)

Are players ever drafted for their ability on special teams? As a blocker/gunner, not a returner.
    Nick Wagoner

You get deep into that seventh round and you think a guy can help on teams and he may not sign after the draft or get picked elsewhere then sure, it happens.
    Paul (Albany, OR)

Have not heard this at all, but what are the chances Houston goes offensive line at 1-1?
    Nick Wagoner

I'd say very slim.
    Casey (LA)

No question here. Just wanted to share the link with you. Great pick with Jason Street! I like the idea of showing Rod Tidwell the money! But here ya go, its an interesting look if you haven't seen it. Also wanted to send a quick thanks for all you do for us Rams fans![url=http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/10867844/who-top-picks-2014-nfl-movie-mock-draft?ex_cid=awesome]Waterboy to the Browns?

I missed that, it's pretty funny. I can't believe Tim Riggins went so high! Running backs are so out of vogue now and he's actually a fullback. Huge reach! (Unless your reasoning is the same I had with Street, then kudos).
    Chad (TX)

Sure seems like 13 isn't shaping up as a good spot for STL if they want an offensive player. If Martin is gone, not the place to be
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:13 PM)

Yeah, that's a good point. I think a trade down would be ideal there but they could also potentially have their pick of the DBs if they wanted to go that way. For what it's worth, the way things are shaping up now, I think they'll have a better chance to move 13 than 2.
    Brett (Boston)

Any chance the mothership uses the powers that be to get you a war room credential come Thursday?
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:14 PM)

Ha, unfortunately that's not my employer's decision but if the Rams want to extend the invite, I'd be happy to accept. Don't worry, we'll have plenty of coverage online and on TV. Josina Anderson will be joining me in STL and we'll have all kinds of updates from the Gateway City.
    Ryan(Ohio) [via mobile]

I thought McGee played badly last yr I know he was a rookie but thought if he had shown some small flashes the rams wouldn't be incline to draft a corner too early
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:15 PM)

He definitely struggled in the few chances he had but he's young and a bit raw. I actually see the potential with him but he's got a ways to go yet.
    mark (st. Louis) [via mobile]

If we do draft a safety high doest that mean that out of Cody Davis or Matt Daniel making the team
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:16 PM)

It could but not necessarily. The team carried five last year to open the season. They could do so again, especially given the ST contributions of Daniels and Davis.
    Kent (Albuquerque)

Hey Nick, one more for you. When does the time come to stop stockpiling draft picks through trades and start drafting playmakers who are available in order to compete in the NFC West?
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:17 PM)

How about six days from now?
    Mike (O'Fallon)

Hey Nick. What's your thoughts on the Rams making a big splash and trying to pick up all 3 A&M stars after trading Bradford
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:17 PM)

No chance.
    Nick Wagoner
    (3:18 PM)

OK, folks, that's going to do it for today. Record number of questions today and I apologize to all of you I didn't get to. I'll be back a week from today and we can all discuss, argue, complain, etc. about the first-round pick and then discuss, argue, complain, etc about the picks that will be made later that night. Sound like a plan? Good, have a good weekend everyone and thanks for chatting.

Are you still here? Those who are, really need to get a life! Starting with me .. The individual who is most responsible for the draft being deferred to May 8th, should be tarred and feathered for openers .. Thoughts?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Chat with Nick Wagoner ..

You do great work Nick.. I read on Walterfootball that the Rams' pick #2 comes down to Mack or Watkins. If true, which one would you prefer? That's a tough choice for me, wish we could have both
    Nick Wagoner
    (1:26 PM)
    Untrue. And if I had to choose, I choose Watkins. That hasn't changed. But that doesn't mean I dislike Mack. I think if the Rams moved back a little bit in a trade (say to 5 or so), Mack would be a real possibility.
    Big Z aka the Mayor [via mobile]
    Sorry, Walter Football.