Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Chiefs complete trade for Cassel

Quote Originally Posted by RamCAN View Post
    The Kansas City Chiefs have found their starting quarterback. NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs acquired QB Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots in a trade on Saturday.
    The teams have agreed on compensation, according to Schefter, but no details of the deal were immediately available.
    Cassel was designated as the Patriots’ franchise player on Feb. 5, guaranteeing him $14.65 million next season. The signed tender was officially submitted to the league earlier this week.
    Cassel saw the first significant action of his career last season, taking over for the injured Tom Brady in Week 2 and starting 15 games, completing 63.4 percent of his passes for 3,693 yards and 21 touchdowns with 11 interceptions.
    Cassel will see some familiar faces in Kansas City. Schefter also reports Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel was in Kansas City on Friday undergoing a physical so that he can then be traded to the Chiefs. Vrabel later confirmed the trade in an email to The Boston Globe. Cassel and Vrabel will be playing for new Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, who was hired in January to oversee the team’s football operations after nine seasons in New England.
    The Patriots cleared alot of cap space with this deal.

****HUNCH*****

I haven't heard or read anything about it but here's my HUNCH.

The Patriots are going to make a strong run at RAY LEWIS. It wouldn't surprise me at all. It fits what Belchick likes to do. Ex: Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I guess we'll get to see if Cassel is all he's cracked up to be. Personally, I have my doubts.
    yeah, Cassel did the right thing though..better to be a roach's head than a rats tail!
    Last edited by unorthodox1999; -02-28-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Pats got a 2nd round pick for Cassel & Vrabel...(see other thread about it in NFL.)

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

KC had a great day, now we will see if Cassells can play behind an OL like the Chiefs.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The Patriots cleared alot of cap space with this deal.

****HUNCH*****

I haven't heard or read anything about it but here's my HUNCH.

The Patriots are going to make a strong run at RAY LEWIS. It wouldn't surprise me at all. It fits what Belchick likes to do. Ex: Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison.
    I think this probably has a lot more to do with James Laurinitis than it does with Lewis. With the second pick in the second round, if the Pats opt not to pursue Lewis, (not that it's not an option), they're in prime position to take a real quality players whose stock may have seen him fall right into the waiting arms of Ram Nation at pick #33, assuming we went with a Tackle in round one.

The Pats picking there and needing an ILB may force our hand toward Aaron Curry at the top of the first.

Effectively, this allows the Pats the luxury of finding the best player available at pick #23, knowing that the dropoff in talent and depth between 23 and 34 isn't that steep. It affords them the luxury of, say, Beanie Wells in the first round, keeping a collections of players like Laurinitis, Clint Sintim, Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing in their back pockets for the top of the second.

RamCAN is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Chiefs complete trade for Cassel

From Rotoworld

Panthers beat writer Darin Gantt suggests that the Patriots might be clearing cap room with an eye on making a run at Carolina franchise player Julius Peppers.
    Gantt admits it's a conspiracy theory, but notes that New England gained considerable space with Saturday's Matt Cassel trade. Peppers wants to play OLB in a 3-4 and the Pats need one of those after trading Mike Vrabel. The Pats have ample ammo with the 23rd, 34th, 47th and 58th picks in the draft.
    Source: Rock Hill Herald

~ Well they have the cap space and the gusto, this could end up being a deal changer in the AFC. The Patriots got the cahunas to do it. Love t see the Rams swing these type deals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12