Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Chiefs cut RT Winston

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Chiefs cut RT Winston

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/...70912141484032

Normally I'm not a guy who jumps all over a big name being cut as a possible Rams signing, but he plays at a position of need and I seem to recall the Rams being interested in him to some degree last year.

For those curious, Pro Football Focus ranked Winston 26th of 80 tackles, both left and right, who played at least 25% of their team's snaps last year. He was their 9th highest ranked right tackle.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Re: Chiefs cut RT Winston

If the price is right Winston would be an outstanding signing. Huge upgrade over what they had.

I wonder if this move puts Joeckel or Fisher back as the presumptive first pick.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Even though he has typically played in a zone blocking scheme, I'd definitely take a shot on Winston. He's been a pro bowler before.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I'm intrigued.

Standard disclaimer: At the right price.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I actually think its a stupid move by the Chiefs, they're saving less than half a mil by cutting him plus Albert is only on a one-year deal. If they wanted Joeckel or Fisher so much, why not just let Albert leave in FA and keep Winston at RT?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I think it's a simple deduction by Andy Reid that Winston doesn't fit what he wanted in a right tackle. I'm not exactly sure why, since Adrian Foster sure seemed to miss him this year and he wasn't the reason for the Chiefs having a bad year, certainly. My guess is that the plan is to move Albert to the right side and draft Fisher or Joekel.

As for the Rams, I would be quite happy to bring on Winston for the right price. The way I look at it is that we got a free RT hitting the market, which should lower everyone's price just that bit more. Regardless of whom we look at, we should have a slightly easier time with cap space.
    I believe!

KCRamFan is offline Registered User

It looks like he was released due to an injury. I have read on a Chiefs forum he has some serious injury concerns. It didn't go into specifics. If he was healthy, he would be an upgrade for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I think it's a simple deduction by Andy Reid that Winston doesn't fit what he wanted in a right tackle. I'm not exactly sure why, since Adrian Foster sure seemed to miss him this year and he wasn't the reason for the Chiefs having a bad year, certainly. My guess is that the plan is to move Albert to the right side and draft Fisher or Joekel.

As for the Rams, I would be quite happy to bring on Winston for the right price. The way I look at it is that we got a free RT hitting the market, which should lower everyone's price just that bit more. Regardless of whom we look at, we should have a slightly easier time with cap space.
    Well, don't plan on seeing Branden Albert at RT. He said specifically on his twitter that he was not moving from LT. Talk about a team player..
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Truck is offline Registered User

You have a link to that, all I've been readin from KC fans is well, he wasn't that great in pass protection last year, we can do without good riddance.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Not sure I would believe too much from what I read on a KC Message board. This is the guy who called them out last year.

You'll recall that Winston -- who signed a four-year, $22 million contract last March -- made news last year when he said he was sickened by the Kansas City fans' reaction to quarterback Matt Cassel having to leave the game with a concussion.

"We are athletes," Winston said at the time. "We are not gladiators. This isn't the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money to come in here, and I believe they can boo. They can cheer. They can do whatever they want. … But when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel, it's sickening. It's 100 percent sickening, and I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, and I've never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there."
    He signed for 22 million last year seems do able if the Rams want to make a run at him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Well, don't plan on seeing Branden Albert at RT. He said specifically on his twitter that he was not moving from LT. Talk about a team player..
    The question then becomes: Did he say that because that's how he feels? (a real douchbag tactic, imo) Or did he say that because that's what he's been told by Reid? (in that case, no big deal)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The question then becomes: Did he say that because that's how he feels? (a real douchbag tactic, imo) Or did he say that because that's what he's been told by Reid? (in that case, no big deal)
    Oh, he's just a real douchebag. Also said "Im not a guard". He's sort of right in the fact that he's performed at a pro bowl level at LT, but you should be willing to do whatever the coaching staff is asking you to do.
    berg8309 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Oh, he's just a real douchebag. Also said "Im not a guard". He's sort of right in the fact that he's performed at a pro bowl level at LT, but you should be willing to do whatever the coaching staff is asking you to do.
    I understand where he's coming from though. He's a good LT and doesn't want his career or potential wasted by playing at RT where he is overqualified to play. I would probably react in a similar manner to him if I was in his situation. I just wouldn't make my statements to the public like he did.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I agree with doing what's best for your team, but at the same time why waste a high draft pick on a position where you already have two very good players. The fact is is that Albert is on a 1-year deal, and if the Chiefs draft Joeckel and move Albert to RT, I highly doubt he'll get the type of long term high salary deal usually given to premium LT's.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Even though he is by far the creepiest looking/sounding dude in the NFL, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Ofcourse, it all comes down to his asking price. The Chiefs signed him for 22mil over 4 years. I would sign him to a similar contract in a heartbeat.

It would be great to go in the draft knowing that our OL, besides left guard, is set.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast