Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Chiefs DE Jared Allen wants out of Kansas City

“It doesn’t look like my future is going to be (in Kansas City). … I wanted to finish my career there.”

Less than two months ago, Jared Allen was poised to buy a ranch in Liberty, become the face of the Chiefs’ defense, and settle into a town he’s embraced as his own.

Now Allen wants out of Kansas City.

Allen told The Star on Saturday that he formally requested a trade when a meeting between his agent and members of the Chiefs’ front office produced no contract proposal. The Chiefs denied Allen’s request, and president/general manager Carl Peterson said the club plans to tender Allen on March 1, the deadline for teams to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

Allen led the NFL with six fumble recoveries in 2006 and has produced 27 1/2 sacks in his first three years with the Chiefs. But after more than a year of conversations and weeks of numbers being bandied about, Allen’s agent, Ken Harris, said the sides were still “far apart” from a long-term deal.

Allen’s three-year contract expires this week.

Harris said the club plans to high tender Allen, which means that if another team signed him to an offer sheet, the Chiefs could match it or receive a first- and third-round draft pick.

Allen, who would earn $2.35 million as a high tender in 2007, said he isn’t optimistic about future negotiations with the Chiefs.

“For me, personally, it’s beyond that point,” Allen said.

“I feel shocked and hurt. Requesting a trade was probably the toughest thing I’ve had to do. It’s nothing personal against the town of Kansas City and the fans. It’s been great. (But) it doesn’t look like my future is going to be there, and I have to accept that. That’s why this is so hard. All the hard work I’ve put in, the blood, sweat and tears … I wanted to finish my career there. I was led to believe I was going to.”
    Link to the article

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Chiefs DE Jared Allen wants out of Kansas City

would you give up a #2 for him? assumes of course you could get him signed

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Personally I wouldn't give anything higher than a 3rd due to his past with 2 DUIs.

3rd for him is all.

Unless 5th and Kennedy
    RamsFan16

Kansas City has no motivation to trade him. They can slap the high tender on him and wait it out. Any team who wants Allen is going to have to have a contract agreement with him or else risk facing the same impasse that KC has now. So if that's the case, KC can just tell the other team to sign him to an offer sheet and they'll get much better compensation. If KC is being honest about wanting to keep Allen, I'm not sure I see him being moved this season. If they're willing to part ways with him, perhaps because Allen might say he'll hold out or something, then that could open things up.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The incentive kc has to trade him is if they believe that he wont show up for workouts, ie until right before the season and if they think its a major longshot to sign him longterm. In any business, any unhappy worker is usually a bad thing for many reasons. No one is going to sign him to an offer sheet for two #1's, but that doesnt mean that they wouldnt rather have a high pick. I think the issue here is that given the dui's and possibly the age, i dont think anyone gives that what abraham was traded for.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think the issue here is that given the dui's and possibly the age, i dont think anyone gives that what abraham was traded for.
    Absolutely not, no one's giving up a first for Allen. The DUI's and the perceived (and perhaps accurate) drinking problem is going to scare people off, as well as a pending suspension I believe exists from the league for such problems. If KC puts the highest tender on Allen, it'll be to scare teams from signing him at that compensation. Will Allen ultimately hold out? Maybe for a while, but he's going to have to show up at some point to play the minimum number of games required to move on in his eligibility status.

The talk is that this is probably a tactic to try and bring KC to the table and get some negotiations going. If that's not the case and Allen really wants out, do we want to add another DE with past incidents of legal and drinking problems?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

The talk is that this is probably a tactic to try and bring KC to the table and get some negotiations going. If that's not the case and Allen really wants out, do we want to add another DE with past incidents of legal and drinking problems?
    NO ... NO ... and NO some more!!

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

I would love to have Jared Allen in the horns. This guy is big playmaker and a hell of alot better then any other DE available. And lets be honest, if we're gonna start picking and choosing our players based on past problems with the law, we might as well not even feild a team. I wouldn't go crazy and give up a 1st rounder, but if the deal is negotiable, lets do it!

Country is offline Registered User

To much baggage for him ot get anything more than a 2nd rd pick for him. He would look great in the horns for a 2nd round pick.

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

You are correct allen has too much baggage and is only worth a 3rd in my opinion. Living out here in KC I can tell you he has bad rap of sometimes taking plays off. So he is somewhat of an inconsistent player.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

An upgrade over Victor, however. If the deal is there, I say go for it.

keith m. klink Guest

the drinking is a problem, and it shows, a young guy makes a stupid mistake, yea and he doesn't do it again. when you make two of the same ones , in a short amount of time, ?. I HEARD THAT LINEHAN WILL GIVE ANYBODY A SECOND CHANCE, but he is making a team , and trying to bring in quality people, ( byrd get's one second chance, that was just stupid), i don't know if the coach 's would realy want him there.