RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Chiefs send Allen to Vikings for three draft picks

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Kansas Chiefs have agreed to trade Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen to the Minnseota Vikings, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

The Chiefs will receive Minnesota's first- (17th overall) and both of its third-round picks (73rd and 82nd) as compensation. Kansas City has been looking to acquire additional draft picks in an attempt to speed up coach Herm Edwards' rebuilding project for a team that lost its last nine games in 2007 and finished 4-12.

The Vikings also agreed on a new contract with Allen, which will be finalized Wednesday. Allen flew to Minnesota on Tuesday night in anticipation of Wednesday's events.

The Vikings fill one of their biggest needs by adding Allen to their front four. The Pro Bowl starter had a league-leading 15.5 sacks in 2007 along with 67 tackles, three forced fumbles and 18 pressures in only 14 games.

The Chiefs need offensive linemen and defensive backs, two position groups that scouts believe to be in abundance. The Chiefs already owned the No. 5 overall pick in the draft, and now have 13 selections with the trade, including five of the first 82 picks.

Before trading the 26-year-old Allen to the Vikings, the Chiefs also talked with Tampa Bay about Allen.

General manager Carl Peterson's relationship with Allen has been strained ever since Peterson, in the wake of Allen's DUI convictions, described him as "a young man at risk." Allen, who could be suspended for a season if he has another alcohol-related episode, had said he would not negotiate with Kansas City if he didn't get a contract done by next July.

After reaching an impasse, the Chiefs made Allen their franchise player on Feb. 7, but did not put the exclusive tag on him, as they did on tight end Tony Gonzalez when he was franchised in 2002. That made it possible for Allen and his agent to talk with other clubs and be examined by their team doctors.

Allen was suspended the first two games by the commissioner last season for multiple DUI convictions. But Allen says he has stopped drinking entirely, a claim backed up by close friends.

"I've seen Jared at a big party, out on the dance floor, where everybody is drinking except one person. It's Jared, and he's having the best time of everybody," said Chiefs fullback Boomer Grigsby.

In his first game back from the suspension against the Vikings, he had nine tackles, two sacks, a pressure and a pass defended. He also forced Adrian Peterson to fumble.

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound Allen was drafted with a supplemental fourth-round pick out of Idaho State in 2004.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-23-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Chiefs send Allen to Vikings for three draft picks

Ouch. I'm glad we didn't go after that,

rammiser is offline Registered User

The Vikings are stupid a first and two 3rd's give me a break. Not worth it at all!
    Just Fix It

shower beers is offline Registered User

The Vikings now have a decent O Line, D Line, Running Game, WR corp(iffy).

They seem to be heading in the right direction, but at what cost. That's a lot to give up.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Now all they need is a QB and Jackson isn't him

Ramer is offline Registered User

I think the Vikings gave up too much for Allen.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Sounds like the kind of deal you make when you think you just need one more piece to make a run for the championship. I don't think the Vikings are that close (and neither are we for that matter). However, I will say that the compensation isn't that far away from what I'd expect for a Pro Bowler in his prime at a high priority position. I would have thought the character concerns would have brought his value down a little bit, though.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Fleece is EXACTLY on target in my view. They have mortgaged their future for a guy who is clearly a character risk when they have no functioning qb.

I think if the eagles made this kind of deal for chad johnson i would understand, but i dont see how this makes sense for the vikings.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Anyone else annoyed that this has screwed up their mock draft??

itsguud is offline Registered User

Well they definitly overpayed for Allen by one third round pick. Good move for them other then that. I think they need a QB and good WR's more then any other position. Not sure how they are getting them now though.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

26 years old and the best DE in the league right now. 98% chance whoever the Vikings would have taken with the first round pick will be nowhere near the talent of Allen.

If he can stop his off the field problems, they stole him from the Chiefs. If he gets another DUI, they made a horrible move. We'll know in 2-3 years.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Minnesota is poised with a strong backfield in Peterson and Taylor, a strong offensive line (unless they part ways with McKinnie), one of the league's best defensive lines. They have to hope Jackson comes along enough to work within that offense. Also helps them that Detroit is consistently bad, Chicago is questionable after their Super Bowl run, and Green Bay just lost Favre. If they don't win the division in '08, something's wrong up there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!