Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Chiefs’ top draft choice likely depends on Lions’ willingness to gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    draft Curry..if they then decide they want to throw the farm at us to get him then great...
    I really don't think they'd do that. The Chiefs could sit tight and take an OT to help improve their own line, take Orakpo to become a pass rushing OLB in their 3-4, or try to orchestrate a trade down since they no longer have their high second round pick. If I'm the Chiefs, no way am I trading anything for the first pick, second pick, or anyone taken with those picks after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Then the Best Player Available is Micheal Crabtree
    ...in your opinion...

It's entirely possible that someone has another player, one of the tackles perhaps, as the BPA at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    As for Monroe, that's another story. I don't believe it, but like most of you last year, I'm sure you'll all be over this "risk" and say we should pass.
    Still fired up from the Dorsey discussions from last year?

The only thing we've heard about Monroe's health this offseason was a one-liner in a broad report from Pompei on March 1st that indicated Monroe will be red flagged by some teams after "knee issues" were revealed during testing at the combine. Nothing at all was said about whether those knee issues were new concerns, lingering concerns, or if they were just discoveries of past injuries, which we know Monroe has had. There has been no follow-up report at all about this. Neither Howard Balzer nor Jim Thomas knew anything about what Pompei was referring to when I asked them myself. So since there's been next to no information about these knee issues outside of Pompei's one-liner, which includes absolutely no follow-up report that logically would come if there actually was some kind of concerning lingering or new injury, I'm not going to concern myself over this risk at this point.

This is entirely different from Dorsey's situation last year, so obviously the reactions are going to be different. Instead of a one-liner in a random Pompei article, Dorsey's injury generated a full breaking news report that specifically cited his stress fracture and a team doctor's opinion of it being a serious concern. The report indicated that Dorsey received additional medical testing at the combine because of the injury, which to our knowledge Monroe did not. Dorsey's leg was a big topic of conversation around his pro day; I've not seen any report from Monroe's pro day that indicated any concern over his knee. Additionally, a Pro Football Weekly report from after Dorsey's pro day cited three additional team doctors that felt the injury needed additional treatment; we've yet to see any kind of similar report regarding Monroe's knee.

To compare this to Dorsey's situation last year, or expect the same kind of reaction when the circumstances and information is clearly very different, doesn't make much sense to me. But I guess if reports about Monroe come out between now and the draft that were similar to the ones we read about Dorsey last year, then we'll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Also, as far as second round offensive tackles go, it seems like a lot of mock drafts have William Beatty available when we pick, and that's usually assuming we take an offensive tackle in round one. If we don't, that's one more player that other teams in the market for an OT in round one can take, possibly bumping one of the others down into round two.
    Some have Beatty available, some don't. Either way it's going to be a gamble that may or may not pay out. Should the Rams risk it? If he's not there, who do you take? Meredith and Loadholt may not be LTs at the next level and really aren't great value there, IMO.

Historically speaking, teams have been able to come out of the second round with quality left tackles. But looking specifically at this group of prospects, if the top six guys are off the board when our second round pick comes around, I'm not sure I see many attractive options with that second round pick.

And the way you talked about other mock drafts go look at there rankings most likely Crabtree is the 2nd BPA.
    Why don't you investigate that and report back about it, since you're the one claiming he's the second best player available behind Curry? It shouldn't be someone else's job to prove your claim or opinion.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Some have Beatty available, some don't. Either way it's going to be a gamble that may or may not pay out. Should the Rams risk it? If he's not there, who do you take? Meredith and Loadholt may not be LTs at the next level and really aren't great value there, IMO.
    I'll agree with that. It would be unwise to base our first round pick on an assumption that any one specific player might be available in the second. I was just throwing the name out there as one more option that could be in the mix.

If we didn't draft a tackle in the first and all of the top six were gone, we'd either have to stick with what we've got or consider bringing in an aging veteran as a stopgap until we were able to find a long-term solution. Examples of serviceable veterans still on the market would include Jonas Jennings, Jon Runyan, and Marvel Smith. All of them have age and/or injury concerns, but we'd probably just be looking to get one or two years out of them.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Last time I looked at the mock drafts, they indicated where a player was to be taken, not necessarily who was the best value. For example, on CBSSports.com, they've got four mock drafts by "experts" predicting Crabtree to go 7th in two of them, 13th in one, and 4th in the last one. Scott Wright has repeatedly stated that the only two players he gives an elite grade to are Stafford and Curry. On ESPN.com, Kiper has Crabtree going 6th and McShay has him going 8th. This hardly seems like a consensus that he is the first or second best player in the draft.
    You misunderstood me. C-Mob was saying that we should take the BPA so i countered him by saying Crabtree would be the BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I'll take Billy's ratings over yours any day, but if he feels as you do than I'm all for taking an OT if thats how they have evaluated the talent.

I understood your metaphor, just didn't think it was a very good one. If Millen was a competent talent evaluator Detroit would be chalked full of good up and coming players instead of a bunch of wide receiver busts. Just because Kiper and McShay say they are the BPA doesn't mean that they really are. Besides Megatron, he obviously did not pick the BPA while he was in Detroit.

I'm not sure where the hate on Antonio Pierce on the board comes from, because he is a heck of a lot better than Chris Draft. I saw what Culberson and Draft could do last year, and I'm not looking forward to seeing running backs torch us again. Draft played around some pretty darn good defensive players in Carolina, and I feel like he could still produce, but not if we are relying on him to be the man. We need to surround him with more talent than we had last year, and by my count we have only added James Butler to our porous defense.
    When you say since Kiper and McShay say they are the BPA what are you talking about? Are you contradicting yourself because both have rated Aaron Curry the BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why don't you investigate that and report back about it, since you're the one claiming he's the second best player available behind Curry? It shouldn't be someone else's job to prove your claim or opinion.
    If that injury did not come up Crabtree would have easily been the BPA. He got 227 rec over 3,000 rec yards and 40 TDs oh and did i mention that was not his NCAA career. It is not ever over a 3 year NCAA career. It was done in 2years. That is better than Fitz and Calvin Johnson's 1st 2 years. Oh yea did you see Crabtree's team vs. Texas? Crabtree won that game with his heart for the endzone.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If that injury did not come up Crabtree would have easily been the BPA. He got 227 rec over 3,000 rec yards and 40 TDs oh and did i mention that was not his NCAA career. It is not ever over a 3 year NCAA career. It was done in 2years. That is better than Fitz and Calvin Johnson's 1st 2 years. Oh yea did you see Crabtree's team vs. Texas? Crabtree won that game with his heart for the endzone.
    So are you going to examine the rankings that coincide with some of the better mock drafts out there to show that Crabtree is viewed as the 2nd BPA as you claimed? Or are you now saying that he should be the best player available but his injury situation likely means that most don't view him that way anymore?

ramsfan559 is offline Registered User

the only way we draft curry is if jason smith is gone

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

When you say since Kiper and McShay say they are the BPA what are you talking about? Are you contradicting yourself because both have rated Aaron Curry the BPA.
    What I'm trying to say is the only person's opinion that I care about is our front office, because they are the ones that will make the decision. I could care less about any so called draft expert's opinion. If Billy thinks that one of the OT's is the best player available I will be happy and stand behind him. I just hope he makes sure that Curry isn't the beast that I think he is or that J. Smith is the beast that everyone hopes he is.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-30-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12