HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

For the "Chris Long is a 3-4 DE" camp...

...here's a list of names: Paul Spicer, Kyle VandenBosch, Justin Tuck, Aaron Kampman, Mario Williams, Patrick Kerney.

What do these names have in common? All are within a few pounds (up and down) from Chris Long, and all are successful pass rushers in predominantly 4-3 schemes. Watching Kampman yesterday got me to thinking about this. Currently, I am on the Chris Long bandwagon. Regardless of how high we pick next April, I think he should be our pick (subject of course to bowl games, combine, and workouts). Right now, we're picking 2nd (thanks to a whiner win.......see every cloud has a silver lining). If Long is truly in the mold of those other hefty 4-3 DEs mentioned above, then he is well worth a #2 pick.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

smizzhfx Guest

Re: For the "Chris Long is a 3-4 DE" camp...

I'd say he's the player on the board that is of the most need, and the best value available.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great player, great character, position of need, lowest risk possible. THis is my guy as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

39thebeast is offline Registered User

ive always compared him to Jared Allen, but think he is a little slower, but more stout in run defense

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Versatile! He can play both schemes. I like the idea of DL players that can be compared to utility knives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Weight is just a number to me. After all, some guys are taller or are built differently. The real questions are quickness and agility. He doesn't even need a real fast 40 if he has good acceleration within the first 10 yards or so.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    Versatile! He can play both schemes. I like the idea of DL players that can be compared to utility knives.
    Especially since we have one already in Adam Carriker.

Chris Long would make an ideal replacement for Leonard Little as the strong side end in a 4-3 system, but with Carriker and Long, you'd also have two guys capable of playing the 3-4 DE position should we want to show those looks at times.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    ive always compared him to Jared Allen, but think he is a little slower, but more stout in run defense
    Jared allen is a free agent what if we land him in free agency then who would you draft? I wouldnt mind grabbing Kenny Phillips a little lower by trading our pick to someone who really wants Mcfadden and stock piling a few extra picks. I wouldnt mind seeing Phillips next to Atogwe. Also I do not want to draft o-line with our first pick. Good o-lineman can be had in the lower rounds.
    Just Fix It

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Jared allen is a free agent what if we land him in free agency then who would you draft? I wouldnt mind grabbing Kenny Phillips a little lower by trading our pick to someone who really wants Mcfadden and stock piling a few extra picks. I wouldnt mind seeing Phillips next to Atogwe. Also I do not want to draft o-line with our first pick. Good o-lineman can be had in the lower rounds.
    Ya know, rammiser I've done some thought on this very topic, and the conclusion that I've come to is that I think the Rams should go ahead and pick Chris Long even if we have signed another quality DE. The reasons are many, but just to name a few:

1.) We are getting next to no pass rush from J. Hall or any of our other DEs. Therefore the Rams in reality may very well need at least two DEs at this time.

2.) L. Little certainly didn't look impressive even before his injury, and I'm not sure he will be able to come all the way back next year. He's not getting any younger.

3.) Pass rushers are a lot like pitching in Baseball; you never really have enough of 'em.

I would resist the temptation to select a lesser prospect just because we think (hope?) that we've already fixed our pass rush problems with a free agent or two.

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

the conclusion that I've come to is that I think the Rams should go ahead and pick Chris Long even if we have signed another quality DE.
    Question: What's the only thing better than a top-tier pass rusher?

Answer: 2 top-tier pass rushers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

It's settled then, go Long! :r

Would really like to see him in there with AC, Clifton Ryan, and well, two or three of our veterans (Little[?], Johnson, Hall, Adeyanju). I think Long's presence would definitely continue to improve our DL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkQDF6pghQU