Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Chris Long in the Gator Bowl?

Did anyone watch the Gator Bowl? What were your thoughts about how Chris Long did in the game?

I watched the whole thing specifically to see him play for the first time. I saw potential, but, I didn't see the super play I was expecting. Was this game just a fluke? He seemed to get caught up in traffic pretty easily. I hope I'm wrong because he has been my first choice based on the info on the board, etc.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Re: Chris Long in the Gator Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Did anyone watch the Gator Bowl? What were your thoughts about how Chris Long did in the game?

I watched the whole thing specifically to see him play for the first time. I saw potential, but, I didn't see the super play I was expecting. Was this game just a fluke? He seemed to get caught up in traffic pretty easily. I hope I'm wrong because he has been my first choice based on the info on the board, etc.

Well you beat me to it, Viper, I was going to post this same question. I, also, watched most of the game specifically to study Chris Long, and I'd like to make a few comments:

1.) I,like you, also noticed a dearth of big plays by Mr. Long. In a game where VA. recorded two safetys it was not unnoticed by me that Mr. Long had no involvement with either.

2.) Yeah, he did seem to get caught up with the guy blocking him and seemed to be unable to get off the blocks.

3.) On a more positive note, I did notice Long moving from the left to the right side and, at time he would line up in a 3 point stance and then next play from a 2 point stance. I guess he was trying to mix things up a bit.

4.) He did have one excellent QB pressure when he took an inside pass rush, but again, alas, Harrell just rolled out to his right and evaded Long's sack attempt.

Overall impression: Although Chris Long should not be judged soley upon this one game, my initial impression of his play makes me want to more closely observe Glenn Dorsey and even Mr. Ghoulston before making any firm committments to Chris Long at this point.

WHAT SAY YE?

I'd say you were dead on with your summary RAMarkable. That's pretty much what I came away with as well.

I did like seeing him move around alot. It appeared that he played all 3 line positions in the 3-4 which shows great flexibility in his game. Which I was happy to see.

I realize that he can't be judged on the one game. But, it did give me cause to reconsider how much of an impact he'd actually make to our line. Would he really make a difference?
    Last edited by viper; -01-02-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Rephrase question.

Ramsfan1973 is offline Registered User

Being my first post, I will first say I love this site. Following up on the responses to watching Long play against Texas Tech, I have to say I thought he looked fine. If I am not mistaken, he had 5 tackles, as many QB preassure's and two tipped passes at the line of scrimage. That is one hell of a game considering he was double teamed almost the entire game. I love this kid and hope the Rams anchor their line with Carriker and Long for years to come. The other option is Jake Long to re-build our offensive line. I know we were rewarded with Orlando Pace in the first round, but not many O-lineman pan out and many are found in later rounds that have a great carrer. Just look at our own Alex Barron or see Robert Gallery of Oakland for the latest 'can't miss O-lineman' that flopped. My vote was solidified yesturday watching C. Long.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

As a Texas Tech fan, I thought Chris Long had a good game. My opinion of him stays the same. I liked the way he looked standing up.

The only thing I came away thinking during the Gator Bowl was that he didn't look 285 lbs. to me. I'd guess around 270.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

That is true, I watched the game. I was impressed by his movements. He pressured the QB a few times.

I like Chris Long. I have a feeling he is STILL our best pick. Though Dorsey and Gholston are still good choices, I believe that Dorsey will be the first pick by the Phins. Therefore leaving us with Long or Gholston, and the obvious choice is Long.

He's still a strong player, the team didn't do as well as everyone thought they would.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

I think he will be a Kyle Vanden Bosch type player. They are built the same and they have similar skills

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    That is true, I watched the game. I was impressed by his movements. He pressured the QB a few times.

I like Chris Long. I have a feeling he is STILL our best pick. Though Dorsey and Gholston are still good choices, I believe that Dorsey will be the first pick by the Phins. Therefore leaving us with Long or Gholston, and the obvious choice is Long.

He's still a strong player, the team didn't do as well as everyone thought they would.
    I don't believe Chris Long is an "obvious" choice over Gholston.

I also think either Chris Long or Gholston will go #1 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsfan1973 View Post
    Being my first post, I will first say I love this site. Following up on the responses to watching Long play against Texas Tech, I have to say I thought he looked fine. If I am not mistaken, he had 5 tackles, as many QB preassure's and two tipped passes at the line of scrimage. That is one hell of a game considering he was double teamed almost the entire game.
    Good first post Ramsfan1973, and, oh btw, welcome to the Clan. I must admit that I certainly didn't see Mr. Long being double-teamed much at all yesterday. In fact my impression was that he was getting blocked on both sides of the ball by linemen who almost assuredly will NOT play at the NFL level. This did not set well with me. Also, factor in that The Tech QB passed the ball 63 times and, imho, Chris Long should have gotten to him at least once. Yeah, I know that Long plays the run well, but so does V. Adenayu. We need to develop a pass rush or its not going to matter who our next coach is.

WHAT SAY YE?

Ramsfan1973 is offline Registered User

Thanks for the response RAMarkable. If you remember, they even stood him up at times and played him as a linebacker to try to avoid some of the double teams. In the end, double teamed or not, had Little or Hall had a game with 5 tackles, 5 QB preasures and two tipped passes, he would get his picture on the Madden Horse Trailer. I might be selling him a bit short on those stats, but that is what they posted in the 4th quarter of the game yesturday. The last thing I see that has me sold is Al Groh. Here is a man who coached Lawrence Taylor, Bryan Cox, Willie McGinest and Mo Lewis, to name a few. He says that the ony player he coached as dominant as Long at this level was LT. That speaks volumes. [That last piece was in ESPN the Mag on the December 3rd write up of Long. Im not that knowledgeable to come up with that on my own.] To each their own on this issue, but I will be celebrating if we go with Long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsfan1973 View Post
    Thanks for the response RAMarkable. If you remember, they even stood him up at times and played him as a linebacker to try to avoid some of the double teams. In the end, double teamed or not, had Little or Hall had a game with 5 tackles, 5 QB preasures and two tipped passes, he would get his picture on the Madden Horse Trailer. I might be selling him a bit short on those stats, but that is what they posted in the 4th quarter of the game yesturday. The last thing I see that has me sold is Al Groh. Here is a man who coached Lawrence Taylor, Bryan Cox, Willie McGinest and Mo Lewis, to name a few. He says that the ony player he coached as dominant as Long at this level was LT. That speaks volumes. [That last piece was in ESPN the Mag on the December 3rd write up of Long. Im not that knowledgeable to come up with that on my own.] To each their own on this issue, but I will be celebrating if we go with Long.
    Um, with all due respect, Ramsfan just who was double-teaming him? I mean Texas Tech is a spread (Run and Shoot) team that sends everybody out for the pass. And, by definition, they of course do not even have a TE on the field. This means that there would be next to no one that could do a double team unless the center was rolling over to Long frequently. And I did not see that happening.

WHAT SAY YE?

Welcome Ramsfan1973! You are among friends here. Its about time you found us.

I haven't checked the stats so I'll defer to your figures. I don't recall much of the double-teaming either. Although, I'm sure there was some. Five QB pressures seems high, but, maybe.

I guess I was just expecting Long to be more disruptive in the backfield. At least one sack. Maybe some big hits on the QB. He just didn't seem to be as big of a force as I was expecting as a top 5 pick.

Again, this was my first chance to see him play. So, I'm sure there is a lot more upside to the guy. I just didn't see a top 5 effort in the Gator Bowl.

I'm wondering if you guys that have seen him play more often, if you thought he had a down game or was this pretty typical of what we can expect if we draft him?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Welcome Ramsfan1973... I don't know about all day double teams but he did have his fair share of double teams.

Um, with all due respect, Ramsfan just who was double-teaming him?
    They play a 3-4, he got doubled-teamed at times.

He came out and knocked down the first pass. Tech is a spread (Run and Shoot) team so we did not really get to see him against the run much if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Good first post Ramsfan1973, and, oh btw, welcome to the Clan. I must admit that I certainly didn't see Mr. Long being double-teamed much at all yesterday. In fact my impression was that he was getting blocked on both sides of the ball by linemen who almost assuredly will NOT play at the NFL level. This did not set well with me. Also, factor in that The Tech QB passed the ball 63 times and, imho, Chris Long should have gotten to him at least once. Yeah, I know that Long plays the run well, but so does V. Adenayu. We need to develop a pass rush or its not going to matter who our next coach is.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Texas Tech's QBs were only sacked 15 times this year, which is remarkable considering how much they throw.

C. Long did play well and batted down 3 passes.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Texas Tech's QBs were only sacked 15 times this year, which is remarkable considering how much they throw.

C. Long did play well and batted down 3 passes.
    Maybe I was askiing for too much in any one game. From the stats that you guys have mentioned, it sounds like he did have a pretty decent game. I just wasn't wowed and maybe I was just expecting too much.

I was hoping for a game like the one had by the linebacker from USC in the Rose Bowl. Three sacks, multiple pressures and tackles. That would have made a believer out of me. Although, I do realize that we are talking about a big difference in programs with USC and Illinois.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast