Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

Chris Long and James Hall will be successful if...

If our DT's can do their job.

Last year, one thing I noticed was that on pass downs, our DTs were invisible out there, and their presence was barely felt.

Whether it was directly trying to force pressure up the middle of the pocket, or take on double teams to let linebackers blitz through the middle, our DTs couldn't consistently do that well, resulting in our haphazard pass rush.

Chris Long, I noticed, would consistently get very close to sacking the QB, but the QB would just step up because there was no danger of the middle of the pocket collapsing on him. IMO, Chris Long could have had at least 4-5 more sacks. And maybe even more.

With the additon of Robbins, and the steady improvement of Scott and Ryan, I think that this year our DTs will do their job a lot better than last year.

And if they do, look for Chris Long and James Hall to create havoc.

In my opinion, the one most pressing thing we need on our defense right now is a quick DT that is a penetrator. We have enough fat blobs.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Long and James Hall will be successful if...

it wouldn`t surprise me if Hall Davis was converted to UT in the Pro`s..Selvie and Sims will have to bulk up a bit with Selvie being about 254 lbs and Sims 6'6 played at 235 lbs in college but said to be already nearly 250 lbs now..they can stay on the edge.

Davis was 271lbs in college but didn`t have great production off the edge...and it was a little surprising they drafted 3 DE`s but no DT`s...maybe they see him as a UT if he could put another 20 lbs on..which isn`t too much really..
    hell, he`s already as big as some of the DT`s the Colts have used in recent years..even if it wasn`t successfully.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

...we sign John Henderson. Well, at least it couldn't hurt. Actually, FWIW, the Giants' DTs were never marquee names. From what I understand, that's why they started shifting Tuck inside in the first place. They weren't getting much from Robbins, Cofield, and company.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

that be true Fleece..

plus we have got Darell Scott who can move for a man his size...it`s plausible that he could evolve into a good disruptive UT who can get in the backfield!
    for what its worth..his 40 time is quicker than Suh`s..

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

For DT's its more about the 10 yard split, broad jump,and vertical. All of that test their initial explosion which is the key to being a good penetrator.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

I like the video. Makes me worry that we didnt draft a DT. Cuz I dont think Robbins is the answer. And I dont think Darrell Scott and Cliffton Ryan can do it alone. One more monster DT could make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    I like the video. Makes me worry that we didnt draft a DT. Cuz I dont think Robbins is the answer. And I dont think Darrell Scott and Cliffton Ryan can do it alone. One more monster DT could make all the difference.
    Next year. Next year.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

*sigh* just because a guy isn't drafted doesn't mean he won't be good. If no Suh or Mccoy, then i'd have passed on one this year. How much more impact do you think a late round DT would do for us? They'd have the same struggles Scott had last year getting accustomed to the NFL. I'm looking forward to Scott's progression this year, personally. The guy can get up the field and penetrate and showed that as a rookie.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Both would get better numbers if we picked up big Henderson, and Osi. More chance of us just getting Henderson at this point (seeing he is definately available)

Imagine....

Osi Ryan/Scott Henderson/Robbins Long

That would be real nice

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Both will get better stats if you just increase the number of 3rd and longs and increase the CB play. A lot of people look at the number of sacks and think that's proof of a great DE or not but many times the sack total is proof of a great defense. Long didn't have a lot of 3rd and 10's to just pin his ears back and rush the passer. When you increase those opportunities, sacks will come.

If you remember back to Wistrom, the guy got his sacks late in the game on 3rd and long. He wasn't a great DE, he was just opportunistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    it wouldn`t surprise me if Hall Davis was converted to UT in the Pro`s..Selvie and Sims will have to bulk up a bit with Selvie being about 254 lbs and Sims 6'6 played at 235 lbs in college but said to be already nearly 250 lbs now..they can stay on the edge.

Davis was 271lbs in college but didn`t have great production off the edge...and it was a little surprising they drafted 3 DE`s but no DT`s...maybe they see him as a UT if he could put another 20 lbs on..which isn`t too much really..
    hell, he`s already as big as some of the DT`s the Colts have used in recent years..even if it wasn`t successfully.
    Hmm. I think they might move Davis to the middle on pass downs to be a quicker penetrator than the many NTs we have now.

Idk, to me, I don't think Sims is going to make the roster.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

The Rams need of a penatrading DT has been a issue for a long time.
    I wanted the Rams to draft DT Geno Atkins for his pass rushing ability and bring him in on passing downs. Let Scott, Robbins & Ryan rotate in play on running downs. Make sure there is a fresh DT for the entire game.
    Maybe one of the rookie DE can bring some heat on passing downs. Leave C.J. Ah You & Adeyanju in on running downs if there still with the Rams. Adeyanju has been in the NFL for five years now maybe time to move on. Same goes with C.J. Ah You but has two years experence. Need to make room on roster for players who have a chance to develope into great players. Example Rams Back up DE Eric Moore. Five years and couldn't make starting unit.

I'm not sure but didn't Rams bring in J. Hall on passing downs to play DT some times during the last couple of years.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Yep, our defensive ends will be more successful with better talent between them on the defensive line. If there is someone on the interior line who can collapse the pocket and prevent the quarterback from stepping up and away from outside pressure, it's going to help the ends. Better tackles will also help if, as Rebel talked about, they can help but the offense in more third and long situations.

That's one of the reasons Suh was my preference, because I feel he could be an excellent interior pass rusher at the next level and his presence would help everyone around him (echoed by Mayock on draft day regarding how he'd help the Lions). I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams looked hard at DTs next year at some point.

Honestly, I don't have much faith that our current crop of DTs is going to do much in this area for us. Ryan is a solid player, but Robbins is declining and should be used situationally at this point in his career. Scott didn't blow anyone away as a college penetrator in the ACC, and didn't show much as a rookie. After them, it's mostly roster bubble guys.

Hopefully the staff can coach some of these guys up and get some production from them, but I think there's really only so much coaching can do. At some point, you have to be able to play.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yep, our defensive ends will be more successful with better talent between them on the defensive line. If there is someone on the interior line who can collapse the pocket and prevent the quarterback from stepping up and away from outside pressure, it's going to help the ends. Better tackles will also help if, as Rebel talked about, they can help but the offense in more third and long situations.

That's one of the reasons Suh was my preference, because I feel he could be an excellent interior pass rusher at the next level and his presence would help everyone around him (echoed by Mayock on draft day regarding how he'd help the Lions). I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams looked hard at DTs next year at some point.

Honestly, I don't have much faith that our current crop of DTs is going to do much in this area for us. Ryan is a solid player, but Robbins is declining and should be used situationally at this point in his career. Scott didn't blow anyone away as a college penetrator in the ACC, and didn't show much as a rookie. After them, it's mostly roster bubble guys.

Hopefully the staff can coach some of these guys up and get some production from them, but I think there's really only so much coaching can do. At some point, you have to be able to play.
    Very much agreed, everyone is saying "they were progressing well toward the end of the season" I really don't care how they progress, if they don't help win games then who cares if they progress..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast