Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    harrydog is offline Registered User

Is Chris Long really our best option?

Chris Long is certainly getting lots of attention and hype, probably all of which is very well deserved. But the consensus of opinion is that although he's a well-rounded, solid player, who has a great attitude and work ethic, he's not a truly elite athlete, like a Vernon Gholston for example.
    Even though I'll be plenty happy if we end up taking Long with the 2nd pick, I still have to wonder how well he'll do at the next level. I'm convinced that he'll be able to be an immediate starter for us and be an upgrade to what we already have, but will he be a dominant player? Will he be a game changing type of player? He'll be competing against a higher level of competition than in college. Does he have the physical ability to be a true blue chip, pro bowl caliber player?
    It just seems that everyone is so convinced that he's going to be a slam-dunk, sure thing winner at the next level that I'm beginning to wonder if all the hype has not slightly clouded the thinking.
    Go ahead, pummel me with your rebuttals. I just want to keep things interesting around here.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Is Chris Long really our best option?

Honestly, im very upset that this was the year to suck, i would of much rather sucked last year then this year because i feel this is a very weak draft class for what we need. That being said i think we should trade down and acquire some extra picks and draft Gholston. Although this probably wouldnt happen i would love "DRC" to fall into our laps in round 2. Gholston and Cromartie would make for a amazing first two rounds. Devaney isnt stupid and we finally have a guy that if a guy like cromartie is there in round two, he'll grab him.

Rammed is offline Registered User

I think you raise a valid question.
    But I think this will account for all draftchoices noone is a surefire pick. Every player will have to show that he's capable to play at a higher level. History has shown this in many cases.

I have voiced this before I'm a little more excited about Jake Long then Chris Long. I know that DE is a need area but I have a better feeling with Jake Long for some strange reason.

Rambos is online now Registered User

he's not a truly elite athlete
    I disagree, go take a look at his combine numbers, if you think he's not an elite athlete.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Remember, Chris Long is more than the son of a HOF, he's more than a "workout warrior," and he's more than merely a guy with a "good motor."

He's a guy who performed on the field. His stats from last year:

13 games
    79 tackles
    19 tackles for loss
    14 sacks

That said... can I promise you he'll be a better pro than Vernon Gholston? No. In fact, it would not surprise me in the least if Gholston has the bigger immediate impact, as I think he will be a beast as a pass rusher.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I disagree, go take a look at his combine numbers, if you think he's not an elite athlete.
    what do combine numbers really mean ? I want to know what he's going to do when he lines up across from a 6'7" 340 lb offensive tackle,can he get around this guy,will he be able to speed rush and bull rush a guy this size ? I am not saying combine numbers aren't important but what you do in a pair of shorts is a lot different than what is going to happen on Sunday afternoon.

I've seen them and they are impressive, but he doesn't have that rare athletic ability that might make him a sack machine at the NFL level.
    Like I said, he's a complete player and doesn't seem to have any real weaknesses, but on the other hand he doesn't possess dominating strength or blinding speed.

what do combine numbers really mean ?
    It's shows what kind of an athlete these guys are, not who is the best football player. So to say C Long is not an elite athlete, when he just smoked most the the player that play DE and or LB is wrong IMO.

I agree with AV his football numbers look even better the his 40.

19 tackles for loss, this one jumps out at me.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Chris Long not an elite athlete like Gholston? That is something I've seen only on this board. Did you see Long at the combine? His performance was about as athletic as athletic gets. True, he didn't put up 37 reps on the bench press like Gholston, but we expected that of Gholston. Gholston = workout warrior. C. Long = true elite athlete.

Is Gholston a good player? Of course. But he's also fairly one-dimensional and I don't think you could classify him as "more athletic" than C. Long.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -03-03-2008 at 01:49 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

But the consensus of opinion is that although he's a well-rounded, solid player, who has a great attitude and work ethic, he's not a truly elite athlete, like a Vernon Gholston for example.
    I have to ask.......

WHO exactly is part of this consensus?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

It's show what kind of an athlete these guys are, not who is the best football player. So to say C Long is not an elite athlete, when he just smoked most the the player that play DE and or LB is wrong IMO.

I agree with AV his football numbers look even better the his 40.

19 tackles for loss, this one jumps out at me.
    I 'm not saying he won't be a great player and I for one am hoping that the Rams select him with the 2nd pick,I don't disagree with your take on him either,but you must admit there is a big jump when you go from college to pro and running fast at the combine doesn't automatically make you a good pro.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I have to ask.......

WHO exactly is part of this consensus?
    All of the analysis of him that I've read from so called experts is what I'm basing that on.
    If you know of someone who has a different opinion of him, I'd like to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Is Gholston a good player? Of course. But he's also fairly one-dimensional and I don't think you could classify him as "more athletic" than C. Long.
    I certainly do.

Keep in mind that I really like Chris Long. I will be perfectly happy if he is selected by the Rams. I don't doubt that he will have a good career in the NFL. I know that Gholston is more one dimensional, but that one dimension is what we really lack from our defensive line.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-04-2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

but you must admit there is a big jump when you go from college to pro and running fast at the combine doesn't automatically make you a good pro.
    Running slow does not help either... I would say nothing is automatic. Long has more going for him then just his numbers. I don't see C Long getting 10 plus sacks a year and thatís all you get from him. I see him making far more plays then just sacks. Knocking down balls, making plays in the backfield, solid against the run, going all out all the time.

Running slow does not help either... I would say nothing is automatic. Long has more going for him then just his numbers. I don't see C Long getting 10 plus sacks a year and thatís all you get from him. I see him making far more plays then just sacks. Knocking down balls, making plays in the backfield, solid against the run, going all out all the time.
    true,but that doesn't make you a bad pro either,I hope you are right about Long and I think you are and as I said I want the Rams to pick him also,the point I tried to make was I think to much is put into combine results. If he needs to leap over linemen or bench press them on every play then I admit the combine results will be important.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I've seen them and they are impressive, but he doesn't have that rare athletic ability that might make him a sack machine at the NFL level.
    Like I said, he's a complete player and doesn't seem to have any real weaknesses, but on the other hand he doesn't possess dominating strength or blinding speed.
    You don't need dominating strength or speed to be a great pass rusher. What Long has is he plays with great leverage, has great technique, and a great motor. Similar to " sack machines" like Jared Allen, Aaron Kampman, and Patrick Kerney. They are all top 5 in the league in sacks, so I don't see your point. Speed and strength aren't the only way to get to the QB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast