Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Claiborne Scores a 4 on Wonderlic...

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Claiborne Scores a 4 on Wonderlic...

Claiborne gives birth to a four on the Wonderlic

Posted by Mike Florio on April 3, 2012, 7:18 AM EDT

Getty Images
    The NFL has kept the Wonderlic results under tighter wraps than usual this year. Or maybe the media has had enough other things to keep itself occupied.
    Regardless, the first eye-opening score has leaked from the 2012 edition of the 50-question Wonderlic test. Per multiple league sources, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne scored a four.
    Yes. A four. Out of 50.
    Six years ago, quarterback Vince Young initially got a six. Re-scoring of the test bumped it to a seven. A next-day Mulligan moved it to 13.
    Finally, Young has someone at whom he can point and laugh.
    The joke, however, continues to be on anyone who thinks that all college athletes are also students. Plenty of them aren’t. They’re minor-league football players who have no choice but to wait at least three years until they get a shot at joining the NFL.
    How else can anyone explain a person who presumably has found a way to avoid failing out of college getting such a low score on a basic intelligence test?
    And that gives rise to a more important question. What did LSU actually do to keep Claiborne from failing out of school?

Seriously, how do people do so horribly at this, especially people who just got done doing 3-4 years of college? Ive seen and takien stimulated/practice wonderlics tests and never came close to a 4. You could score better guessing every answer without reading the question. Heck, Selecting answer 1 for every question would probably get you a higher score.

Now i guess the real question is, does this hurt his draft stock at all? Vince Young scored a 6 on his but later retook it and scored a 14 and he was taken 3rd overall in the 2006 draft still.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -04-03-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Re: Claiborne Scores a 4 on Wonderlic...

Is the wonderlic just an IQ test? I cant see it make much of a difference, hes a football player not a scientist. Anyone familar with Wayne Rooney (soccer player) will know his age surpasses his IQ....

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Maybe his agent told him it does not matter so he didn't try. Who cares? I could score a 50, but I doubt I'll be drafted.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    Is the wonderlic just an IQ test? I cant see it make much of a difference, hes a football player not a scientist. Anyone familar with Wayne Rooney (soccer player) will know his age surpasses his IQ....
    According to the Wonderlic website:

The Classic Cognitive Ability Test helps measure general mental ability, widely accepted as being one of the single best predictors of job success. It helps measure a candidate’s ability to understand instructions, learn, adapt, solve problems and handle the mental demands of the position.

Of course football players have scored low and still had great NFL, careers, and vice versa.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 48
    Drew Bledsoe - 37
    Steve Young - 33
    John Elway - 30
    Dan Marino - 16
    Donovan McNabb - 14
    Hakeem Nicks - 11
    Sebastian Janikowski - 9

The average players score (out of 50) is a 21.

Though used in a variety of institutions, the Wonderlic test has become best known for its use in the NFL's Scouting Combine, its pre-draft assessments of prospective football players. According to Paul Zimmerman's The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football, examples of average scores for each position are:

I dont think the Wonderlic score matters much, but im sure depending on the prospect it might hold some weight.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -04-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's LSU, guys. A 4 is good enough to be an honor student.

Okay, seriously, I don't know if he scored a 4 or a 40. He's a CB; it doesn't take a genius. And maybe he can read an offense, but doesn't know what comes next in the 1,3,5,7,11,__,... pattern.

The NFL has it's share of half-a-meatballs, and many of them do just fine. I don't think this has any effect on his draft status; he's still top 6.
    RockinRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Nice, a FOUR! Well that's better than 3,2,1,0,00.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Turns out this whole time his first name has actually been spelt "Maurice"

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

It amazes me that someone can function with such a low intelligence, but he's about to get paid a lot of money and it's not to be the sharpest tool in the shed so I guess it's working for him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If Wikipedia is to be believed, a score of 10 signifies that a person is literate. That would suggest that either he blew the whole thing off and didn't bother to read the questions or performed so poorly as to suggest that not only did he not know the correct answer but couldn't even understand the question.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd be more concerned if he didn't come from an LSU program that likely prepares its players for the pro game as much if not more than most other college programs in the country. The adjustment for Claiborne shouldn't be as steep as if he went to other institutions, so there's that. Teams probably got a better picture of Claiborne's intelligence when they sat down at the Combine and interviewed him.
    shower beers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd be more concerned if he didn't come from an LSU program that likely prepares its players for the pro game as much if not more than most other college programs in the country. The adjustment for Claiborne shouldn't be as steep as if he went to other institutions, so there's that. Teams probably got a better picture of Claiborne's intelligence when they sat down at the Combine and interviewed him.
    The only question I would have with this analysis is that if LSU prepares it's players for the pro game, surely they would help them prepare for the wonderlic test?

punahou is offline Registered User

haha-- and corporate america puts such a huge, huge emphasis on college/post graduate degrees. The hypocracy never stops oozing.

It's great that in America we can still become millionaires and not be able to help our kindergartners do their homework. love it.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I remember watching an interview with Brandon Lloyd and he was asked a simple question, a question i understood and Lloyd kept asking the guy to repeat it, but still never got it. It may be stereotypical to class athletes as athletic idiots, but in most cases it may be true...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    The only question I would have with this analysis is that if LSU prepares it's players for the pro game, surely they would help them prepare for the wonderlic test?
    That sounds logical, but I bet they don't. Reason being, I doubt NFL teams put a lot of emphasis on the Wonderlic......at least for certain positions. If teams are comfortable with the player's football IQ, then a low Wonderlic could be written off.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That sounds logical, but I bet they don't. Reason being, I doubt NFL teams put a lot of emphasis on the Wonderlic......at least for certain positions. If teams are comfortable with the player's football IQ, then a low Wonderlic could be written off.
    Actually I think I'm being a tad harsh on the football program. I do think that a bad wonderlic reflects badly on the agents and advisors the player has though. It doesn't take a lot to score in the 10-15 range, but a low score generates a lot of negative press that a player doesn't need

At the same time, you have to wonder where these reports come from. The wonderlic scores aren't released to the public, so someone out there must have released this to the press.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast