Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Claiborne Scores a 4 on Wonderlic...

THOLTFAN81 is online now Registered User

Re: Claiborne Scores a 4 on Wonderlic...

Doesn't change a thing in my mind.

Blackmon, Mo, Richardson...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Actually I think I'm being a tad harsh on the football program. I do think that a bad wonderlic reflects badly on the agents and advisors the player has though. It doesn't take a lot to score in the 10-15 range, but a low score generates a lot of negative press that a player doesn't need

At the same time, you have to wonder where these reports come from. The wonderlic scores aren't released to the public, so someone out there must have released this to the press.
    Completely agree.

A) These agents are soaking up a lot of gravy off these kids, and sending them to very specialized "draft schools" to get all their combine/pro-day numbers as high as possible. They run them through numerous mock interviews to prepare them for the 1-on-1 sessions. Shouldn't they throw a few practice Wonderlics in front of them as well?

B) You've got to wonder if the NFL is doing anything to shut down these information leaks.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Obviously this isn't an issue. He was able to comprehend a game plan, defensive calls, and in-game adjustments at LSU, so it really doesn't matter that he can't figure out percentages. That said, you almost have to try to miss 46 out of 50. You could throw darts at a wonderlic and get higher than a 4, couldn't you??

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What exactly are the questions on the Wonderlic?

I hope it's not:

How many yards long is a football field?
    How many yards does the offense have to gain to get a 1st down?
    How many points is a TD worth?
    How many points is a FG worth?

Probably multiple choice questions as well....

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Here's one:

The ninth month of the year is

1. October 2. January 3. June 4. September 5. May

general counsel is offline Registered User

I have worked with the wonderlic company from time to time over the years. They are a very prominent organization in terms of employee testing (pre employment and during employment).

Like all standardized tests, the wonderlic is first and foremost a reading comprehension test. Time pressure is a real consideration. If you can't read (or can't read very well) you are going to score very poorly. It is logical to state that simply guessing at 50 answers should get you a higher score than 4. That assumes that he answered all 50 questions. He may not have done so.

A 4 indicates not only atrocious reading comprehension skills, but it indicates that the person taking the test put in about zero time to prepare for it. This is consistent with what i have read about the pre combine process. Agents have come to the conclusion that you can impact draft status a lot more materially by improving physical numbers (and it's a LOT easier to improve physical numbers over a short period of time) than by improving wonderlic score. Even with practice, someone that scores a 4 is highly unlikely to get an average score.

Does it change anything for claiborne? No, it won't. The interviews are critical. His football intelligence, not his reading comprehension issues and general intelligence are not what is at issue here. THe question is whether his complete lack of making any attempt to take the test seriously and practice at all bothers a team. Given his talent level and performance on the field, i don't think it will matter. If there was anything marginal about the guy, it would matter in my opinion.

I have seen the test in the past. If you read all 50 questions, it is almost impossible to score lower than a 10 if you have any basic intelligence. The trick is that you have to be able to actually read 50 questions in 12 minutes and that is very tough on a lot of people, especially under pressure. The wonderlic people have a longstanding habbit of putting some of the easiest questions at the end of the test and some of the hardest ones at the start (to see if people get bogged down on a particular question, rather than hit and move, which is key on any standardized test).

In short, if blackmon is gone, i would still love to have him at 6 and i doubt that any other team is going to move him down on their board based on this info alone.

That said, it is truly an indication of either complete stupidity in a general sense or someone who couldn't have cared less what his score was (and i don't know which is worse).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

The only thing that worries me about Claiborne failing this test is his work ethic. I know it's not a big deal defining a great football player but the fact that he didn't try worries me a little about how he's going to do in the offseason program and practices.

PacFish is offline Registered User

EDIT: Apparently Claiborne has a learning disability. Fair play to him for sticking it out at school.

Regardless of Wonderlic score I'd be delighted to see him become a Ram.
    Last edited by PacFish; -04-03-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Completely agree.

A) These agents are soaking up a lot of gravy off these kids, and sending them to very specialized "draft schools" to get all their combine/pro-day numbers as high as possible. They run them through numerous mock interviews to prepare them for the 1-on-1 sessions. Shouldn't they throw a few practice Wonderlics in front of them as well?
    Yeah, you'd think that the agents could coach these guys into at least the low normal range. They don't even have to hit average; they just need to do enough to not get singled-out.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Understood golden fleece, but its really hard to teach someone to read over a six to eight week period, especially when they are physically working out all day to the point of exhaustion. A learning disability would explain the score.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

berg8309 is offline Registered User

A 4 is so low you'd have to think he just blew it off and didn't try. Then again, you don't always need smarts to play. Having worked in baseball for a number of years, I've met some guys who would be lucky to be able to count the number of fingers on their hand, but they could mash the ball pretty well. Football is a little different, but I've also met a few NFL players that talking to them was like talking to a wall, only even less productive. As long as you can play, I don't care.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If a guy has a learning disability, he is likely to always have it. No amount of studying is going to change that much. That is why it's called a "disability".

So why would anybody be suprised that he scored so low. The only thing that matters for Claiborne is that he has great football instincts (which he does), not what 10 to the 6th power is.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

According to the National Football Post's Greg Gabriel, LSU CB Morris Claiborne was diagnosed with a learning disability in high school.

This helps explain why he registered a four on the Wonderlic Test. Per Gabriel, colleges that recruited Claiborne knew of the learning disability, which affects the player's ability to read. "Claiborne’s test score was NOT a true indicator of his intelligence," Gabriel writes. "He can and does learn."

Source: National Football Post

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

I hope it's not:

How many yards long is a football field?
    How many yards does the offense have to gain to get a 1st down?
    How many points is a TD worth?
    How many points is a FG worth?

Probably multiple choice questions as well....
    I hear they're working on a more practical version for NFL players. Sample questions/problems:

If player X is traveling in a car at 90mph with two hookers, a gangbanger, and a kilo of weed, how long will it be before he gets home from prison ?

True/False: When a girl asks you if you have a condom, she wants to know if you rent or own.

A bounty program is.....
    a) a tv show about an old ship with a bad captain
    b) a reward for using brand name paper towels
    c) a tv show sponsored by a drink like Snapple but made out of bouns, not snapples
    d) An imaginary thing like unicorns or Ram OLBs who can tackle

If your agent offers you a 90/10 split on your contract, which part is yours ?

Which one is NOT a safety ?
    a) The guy you point at when you effed up your coverage assignment
    b) That thingy on your 9mm that you switch on before going to the club so you don't shoot your Glock off.
    c) A two point score for tackling a guy in his own endzone.
    d) a two point score for tackling a guy in your endzone.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -04-03-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Goldenfleece and laram0 like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'll bet the first question was this:

True/false - The answer to this question is false.

And Claiborne became so wrapped up in deep philosophical thought over the question that he forgot to answer the rest. Although he wrote a nice 15 page essay on the question, he also forgot to circle an answer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast