Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Claiborne Scores a 4 on Wonderlic...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Claiborne Scores a 4 on Wonderlic...

Why is this gaining so much steam? These are the guys who put their heads down and run into each other with it. This test is totally irrelevant to anything to do with football, other than understanding a playbook. I don't care is he scored 4 or 58, I'd take him at #6 no questions asked. The only thing I think is, thats frickin embarrasing! 4/50? Thats just atrocious.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Why is this gaining so much steam? These are the guys who put their heads down and run into each other with it. This test is totally irrelevant to anything to do with football, other than understanding a playbook. I don't care is he scored 4 or 58, I'd take him at #6 no questions asked. The only thing I think is, thats frickin embarrasing! 4/50? Thats just atrocious.
    I think it's because, as you said, 4 is embarassing. Even for low scoring players, 4 is ridiculously low. However if he has learning disabilities which make it hard to read, that's more understandable. My brother had math disabilities and would spend hours upon hours every night with my parents working on it and still barely managed to get Cs in math. They really make things a struggle for some people.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

My question is, why would the NFL force a player with a reading disability to take the Wonderlic, especially if it's known that he has a disorder? The results would ultimately be deemed meaningless and it doesn't serve any purpose other than the situation we have now, a player being embarrassed publicly.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Didn't Frank Gore go all "Gump" on this thing his rookie year? He seems to have turned out okay.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PacFish is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I demand we pick anybody who can get 58/50.
    jsimcox likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I was just watching ESPN and last year AJ Green and Patrick Peterson were 2 top 10 picks that scored low on the test...I found no problem with the way these to learned the NFL systems
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Didn't Frank Gore go all "Gump" on this thing his rookie year? He seems to have turned out okay.
    Gore got a 6. Some other scores: Michael Vick 20, Ryan Leaf 27, Dan Marino 15, Brett Favre 22, Peyton Manning 28, Alex Smith 40, Ray Lewis 13, Donovan McNabb 14, Tom Brady 33, Chris Johnson 10, Aaron Rodgers 35, Tim Tebow 22, Terry Bradshaw 16, Randy Moss 12.

Unfortunately for Claiborne, he now has to live with having the lowest wonderlic score in NFL history.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My mother has worked with people with learning disabilities for the entire twentywhatever years of my life. She's a disabilities co-ordinator for local high schools back home. I grew up knowing lots of bright, clever kids who couldn't read or write to save themselves.

It's interesting that so much is being made of Claiborne's low score given his disability. I think the problem lies in the fact that this is a standardized test, and Claiborne can't be held accountable to the same standard as the other players taking the test. That's not any fault of his own. He can't read because he has a disability.

While a learning disability is a red flag, in this instance it's what happens on the field that counts. If teams are confident in his ability to read an offense and do his Job, they shouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The test is not irrelevant. It may be irrelevant in Claiborne's case based on the learning disability issue and other issues outlined in this thread, but to say that it doesnt matter is something i strongly disagree with. It is in material part position dependent, obviously a lot more important for a qb than a defensive tackle.

Extraordinary results aside (ie there are always exceptions), this is one data point in accessing a player's basic intellegence and ability to perform mentally under pressure. Personally, i find this a lot more relevant than the broad jump as a can not recall a single broad jump during an nfl play in almost 45 years of watching football, but i can think of a million circumstances involving blown assignments and inability to function mentally under pressure.

You guys would not believe how helpful this type of test is in a business context, albeit, not businesses driven by athleticism. The test does help measure ability to function under pressure. It is not a magic bullet, but a helpful data point.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Truck is offline Registered User

Revis got a 10
    Chris Gamble 9
    Patrick Peterson 9

I think he'll be fine.

Peterson 10 sorry

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I've known a lot of dumb people who were very, very good at what they do. Sometimes people can just do stuff well. It's not rocket surgery.

It's stupid anyway, nothing relevant to football in the slightest. Half of the questions are straightforward, and half of them are the types of questions with a couple similar answers, just to try and get you to make a mistake. Then people online go take these example quizzes and are stupid enough to talk about how they got 19/20 or 20/20 right and it only took them 10 minutes. Where the players get 12minutes to answer 50 questions.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Reports have just surfaced that the story is wrong.

In fact, Morris Claiborne made 4 films under the stage name "Wonderlick" (and, let's just say, they were not the kind of movies featured on RottenTomatoes.com).

So, now that you know the truth, how does that impact Claiborne's draft stock?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

For the people that questioned how Claiborne could have possibly passed 4 years of college, well...

It's actually quite easy if you are your school's top football player and one of the top football player in the nation. There is so many loopholes, leeways, "second chances", and "don't ask don't tell".

Plus, you also have to account to the fact that he goes to LSU. At least he didn't go to Texas Tech.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast