Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Clanram Fans Reality Check!!!!!!!!!

1) McCoy is NOT better than Suh
    Since the college season has ended, there have been no new developments between Suh and McCoy. Suh still has 212 tackles, 4 interceptions, 23 sacks, 6 blocked kicks, and 2 TD’s. G. McCoy still has only 77 tackles, 1 interception, 14 sacks, 1 blocked kick, and grand total of 0 TD’s. I might also remind you that Suh was being double teamed all the time, while McCoy was occasionally.
    As for the combine Suh was .03 seconds behind McCoy in the 40 yard dash. Woop-di-dam-do. But what he “lacked” in speed he made up for on the bench press. Suh completed 32 reps while McCoy only managed 23 reps. Conclusion? Suh is a monster who has consistently shown he is more productive than Gerald McCoy. Eat it.

2) Drafting a QB will NOT change anything
    The Rams went through 3 Qb’s last season. So much for O-line improvement. I remember a time when Marc Bulger was a pro bowl Qb... so much for that. As a result he has been as productive as any Qb can be while being beat like a piñata by 300lbs DL’s.

The Lions dished out 72 million dollars for Mathew Stafford last season. Now they have improved to picking #2 overall instead of #1 overall...wow. The Jets did the exact opposite. They built the foundation of their team first and then brought in a talented young Qb as the final keystone of their franchise. Result? The playoffs…

If you believe that Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen can somehow magically turn our O-line around then you are handicapped in the head my friend and there is a helmet out there with your name on it.

3) Previous draft picks are NOT devaney’s fault
    Lastly, Devaney and Spags were not here prior to 2008. Neither were most of their staff. But there are those few helmet clad individuals among us who keep insisting that the “Rams” keep picking DL’s and the “pattern” shows that we should not do so anymore. For the last time, the Rams are a completely different team with a completely different front office and coaching staff so please do not keep applying past history to recent events.

Thank you. I am satisfied and calm now.
    -Optimistic Lamb

a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

Re: Clanram Fans Reality Check!!!!!!!!!

This is so0o0 true. Completely agree.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Calling it a reality check doesn't automatically turn your opinion into fact.

peramoure is offline Registered User

Agreed with Nick. Lamb, the thing you're missing is that drafting a QB doesn't mean playoffs. It means (hopefully) long term success. Peyton Manning, when being drafted at the number one spot, won almost no games his first year. Tell me, would you take Peyton Manning now? You build around players, and this is not an instant problem solver.

Remember that - the reality check is not a playoff bound 2010, but maybe a playoff bound 2011 or 2012 and beyond.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Agreed with Nick. Lamb, the thing you're missing is that drafting a QB doesn't mean playoffs. It means (hopefully) long term success. Peyton Manning, when being drafted at the number one spot, won almost no games his first year. Tell me, would you take Peyton Manning now? You build around players, and this is not an instant problem solver.

Remember that - the reality check is not a playoff bound 2010, but maybe a playoff bound 2011 or 2012 and beyond.
    Of course I'd take Peyton Manning now. I'd also have taken him then. The larger point is that Bradford is not nearly the QB Manning is or was.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The o-line was pretty good last year. Just because the QBs didn't play well, doesn't mean the o-line was bad. Adding Smith to the lineup on a full time basis is going to be a significant further improvement.

So if the Rams draft Suh, how many games will he win?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    1) McCoy is NOT better than Suh
    Since the college season has ended, there have been no new developments between Suh and McCoy. Suh still has 212 tackles, 4 interceptions, 23 sacks, 6 blocked kicks, and 2 TD’s. G. McCoy still has only 77 tackles, 1 interception, 14 sacks, 1 blocked kick, and grand total of 0 TD’s. I might also remind you that Suh was being double teamed all the time, while McCoy was occasionally.
    As for the combine Suh was .03 seconds behind McCoy in the 40 yard dash. Woop-di-dam-do. But what he “lacked” in speed he made up for on the bench press. Suh completed 32 reps while McCoy only managed 23 reps. Conclusion? Suh is a monster who has consistently shown he is more productive than Gerald McCoy. Eat it.

2) Drafting a QB will NOT change anything
    The Rams went through 3 Qb’s last season. So much for O-line improvement. I remember a time when Marc Bulger was a pro bowl Qb... so much for that. As a result he has been as productive as any Qb can be while being beat like a piñata by 300lbs DL’s.

The Lions dished out 72 million dollars for Mathew Stafford last season. Now they have improved to picking #2 overall instead of #1 overall...wow. The Jets did the exact opposite. They built the foundation of their team first and then brought in a talented young Qb as the final keystone of their franchise. Result? The playoffs…

If you believe that Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen can somehow magically turn our O-line around then you are handicapped in the head my friend and there is a helmet out there with your name on it.

3) Previous draft picks are NOT devaney’s fault
    Lastly, Devaney and Spags were not here prior to 2008. Neither were most of their staff. But there are those few helmet clad individuals among us who keep insisting that the “Rams” keep picking DL’s and the “pattern” shows that we should not do so anymore. For the last time, the Rams are a completely different team with a completely different front office and coaching staff so please do not keep applying past history to recent events.

Thank you. I am satisfied and calm now.
    -Optimistic Lamb

1) I don't think McCoy is better than Suh either. But, who will have the better NFL career? No one knows.

2) Drafting a QB won't change anything? It would change EVERYTHING.

We don't have a future at QB. Keith Null? Yeah right. Marc Bulger? Doubtful. He's old, and he may be gone. A.J Feeley? No.

Bringing in Bradford not only freshens up this franchise, but he also provides us with a future for this team. We're building a new franchise guys, in case you haven't gotten the memo.

We're bringing in fresh, young guys that are eager to play. The days of the GSOT are gone. This is Devaney and Spag's era now. And for them to be successful, they need a QB of the future to back them up.

3) Of course not.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

No one is supporting Bradford coming in and starting right away, at least not myself. But if you give him a year to come in and learn, draft another RT and/or Guard and have them playing this year on the line...well the point is you give your rookie QB a year to learn and the O-Line one more year to gel.

If you honestly want to put off a QB for another year and then draft him next year and wait another year for him to start, what are we looking at? Competing by 2013?

All that being said, I still could probably get behind Suh and McCoy in the second. But I think Bradford is the guy to pick.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

1. I feel the same way

2. It would change so much. Establish a face of the Franchise for the future a guy who will lead the team to the playoffs and possible superbowl victories in the future. We may not get those things immediately, but thats not why you draft him. You draft him so he brings you these things in the future. Huge building block most important position on the field and you build around him. Detroits line stunk last year, they had no running game to speak off. Last year we didn't get 16 games outta Smith, Bell, and Brown also missed a little time.
    Give me that healthy left side 500 times better than what Detroit had and they are still young full of potential and ability. They will also spearhead a great running game with the second best RB in the NFL. Barron/Grecco/Goldberg/Fraley however the right side pans out will be serviceable. The problem with the line isn't ability its health. Spags defensive genius IMO excellent schemer.
    Considering what he had to work with was less than ideal I think he did an excellent job coaching the defense up. With another year in the scheme everyone is going to be greatly improved. Chris Long and Scott will be the X factors to defensive improvement IMO, if both those guys play 16 games how they played at the end of the season. Spags is gonna take the defense far. Fletcher, Butler, Bartell, and OJ need to be healthy in the secondary. The problem there also health not a point where they were all healthy together. LB Vobora Serviceable at SLB, Lauranatis studd year 2 he will be even better. WLB huge hole.
    Im not saying we are the perfect scenario for a new QB we definately need some more weapons in the passing game and there are holes on defense, but at least some of those holes can be filled this year as we continue to build around our young franchise QB.

3. True

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You know, when Bulger was playing better, the offensive line was arguably worse than it is now. The last time we had a good line was before Timmerman and McCollum retired. Bulger first got his chance because our line couldn't protect Warner, so let's not pretend that his decline has been because he is getting less protection than he used to. It was always bad.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    So if the Rams draft Suh, how many games will he win?
    As many as the Rams do.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

ludairv is offline Registered User

if bradford has a great pro day ...then its a wrap....hes passed the physicals and mdeicals of the combine..now hes just gotta do it again with the rams doctors..

#2 Qb Argument:

A Qb is the most valuable player on the field and the most vulnerable player. Stafford is a prime example of a good Qb rendered almost ineffective because of a weak O-line. This is the example the Rams fans would like to follow? The Lions?

Asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    You know, when Bulger was playing better, the offensive line was arguably worse than it is now. The last time we had a good line was before Timmerman and McCollum retired. Bulger first got his chance because our line couldn't protect Warner, so let's not pretend that his decline has been because he is getting less protection than he used to. It was always bad.
    I straight up disagree with this Golden Fleece. Warner had a freak accident and Bulger's play has declined from the accumulated years of physical abuse and the psychological pounding. Don't make Bulger your scapegoat for a crappy team.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -03-15-2010 at 08:32 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    No one is supporting Bradford coming in and starting right away, at least not myself. But if you give him a year to come in and learn, draft another RT and/or Guard and have them playing this year on the line...well the point is you give your rookie QB a year to learn and the O-Line one more year to gel.

If you honestly want to put off a QB for another year and then draft him next year and wait another year for him to start, what are we looking at? Competing by 2013?

All that being said, I still could probably get behind Suh and McCoy in the second. But I think Bradford is the guy to pick.
    We can't afford to have $80 million sitting on the bench. Either take a guy in the later rounds if you want to wait, or build the team and draft and plug in a true rookie with the first rounder in 2011.

Our offensive line was pretty good last year in the same way that the French Army did a pretty good job at stopping the German Army in 1940.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast